SOE 31: Yes, we have no bananas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A tabloid represents the general opinion of your country? That doesn’t sound like a Bono problem.

Unfortunately a lot of people hate Bono here. What ever you make of this news it doesn't help Bono at all. Especially here in England.

Unfortunately a lot of people hate Bono here. What ever you make of this news it doesn't help Bono at all. Especially here in England.

I think a lot of public opinion towards Bono turned hard after the ill timed Apple ads and Elevation Partners crap overshadowed some of the One Campaign and jubilee efforts he made. A Super Bowl appearance was one thing; they were everywhere between 2002 and 2007. You couldn't escape them, and some of his actions seemed shoved down our proverbial throats. The SOI fiasco just tipped the balance of other things since then, like a failed album, terrible festival performances, the infidelity rumours, thanking unpopular politicians onstage, and awful singles. Theres a lot not to like, and this just adds to that.

Last edited:
View attachment 11548

A stake in 47.000 euros...
All those headlines for 47.000 euros.

You/we should be reading it in the opposite way: why the need to use such schemes to avoid paying "only" €47000 in taxes.
But I see that everything related to this subject is put on perspective or forgiven here for most people, as long as Bono and his friends keep on delievering music and going on tour (no matter the quality standards beyond the paraphernalia) and appearing as charitable concerned guys, everything's okay.

It's okay to create transparency on all this stuff and if Bono wants transparency everywhere else then he has to go through it.

Matthew 7:5 You hypocrite! First remove the beam out of your own eye,
and then you can see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother’s eye.

This is still true for everyone including Bono and the people criticizing him. It doesn't invalidate some of the causes he's had success in like getting people on the right to understand that business, as good as it is, requires infrastructure to increase people's opportunities to take advantage of that freedom. And coming from the right myself that is no small feat. :hmm:

You/we should be reading it in the opposite way: why the need to use such schemes to avoid paying "only" €47000 in taxes.

But I see that everything related to this subject is put on perspective or forgiven here for most people, as long as Bono and his friends keep on delievering music and going on tour (no matter the quality standards beyond the paraphernalia) and appearing as charitable concerned guys, everything's okay.

He’s not even aware of that, he has some money in an invest fund, that fund invests in different business, he receives some money and asks if everything is ok.

Nobody, in the entire world, would compromise himself for 47,000 euros.
Nobody. It’s simple logic.

He’s not even aware of that, he has some money in an invest fund, that fund invests in different business, he receives some money and asks if everything is ok.

Nobody, in the entire world, would compromise himself for 47,000 euros.
Nobody. It’s simple logic.

:up::up::up::up:

sounds like someone somewhere may have just fucked up the accounting - local accounting/local tax laws vary enormously from country to country within Europe

of course, B-man walks a tightrope with everything, and people are just waiting for the guy to put a foot wrong and jump on him

Do you understand this story?

Do you honestly believe there’s some sin here that has to be forgiven?

If this somehow entices some loon to get a hold of the album and leak it I’m all for it. Screw Bono! Tax dodging bastard! [emoji6]

Also, is that 47,000 for just him alone, or the whole company? He's only one investor/partner in the thing so you'd have to divide that up amongst all of them.

As said above, no one would risk scandal for such a paltry sum.

I think a lot of public opinion towards Bono turned hard after the ill timed Apple ads and Elevation Partners crap overshadowed some of the One Campaign and jubilee efforts he made. A Super Bowl appearance was one thing; they were everywhere between 2002 and 2007. You couldn't escape them, and some of his actions seemed shoved down our proverbial throats. The SOI fiasco just tipped the balance of other things since then, like a failed album, terrible festival performances, the infidelity rumours, thanking unpopular politicians onstage, and awful singles. Theres a lot not to like, and this just adds to that.

In the uk it was definitely around the vertigo tour stage where the badness settled in. Atyclb era u2 could do no wrong then bomb went down really well but it was during the tour when the wheels fell off.

Also, is that 47,000 for just him alone, or the whole company? He's only one investor/partner in the thing so you'd have to divide that up amongst all of them.

As said above, no one would risk scandal for such a paltry sum.

it's not really the 47,000 that's the problem here re. the Paradise Papers - it's the whole offshore thing, creating companies in offshore jurisdictions with lower tax rates than your home country - puts him in real bad company too sadly

the 47,000 figure has only emerged after the leak as the Lithuanian tax authorities are now apparently investigating the company, which may not have paid local taxes

Last edited:
In the uk it was definitely around the vertigo tour stage where the badness settled in. Atyclb era u2 could do no wrong then bomb went down really well but it was during the tour when the wheels fell off.

cosying up to politicians like Bliar didn't help either

Time to punch in numbers at the ATM Machine and pay the tax.

I can't believe we are really spending pages of a new album thread on a Lithuanian tax scandal. Yes, there are broader and more serious implications as indicated in the Paradise Papers but let's get back to discussing SOE.

Time to punch in numbers at the ATM Machine and pay the tax.

I can't believe we are really spending pages of a new album thread on a Lithuanian tax scandal. Yes, there are broader and more serious implications as indicated in the Paradise Papers but let's get back to discussing SOE.

yes please.

Damn. A few mediocre songs, a tax scandal, and relentless sarcasm. This place has ground to a halt. You'd never know a new U2 albums drops in less than 4 weeks.

Oh well. I am enjoying the new Used double album.

I'm starting to get nervous about tomorrow now, really want to get picked for this London gig Saturday. Fingers crossed,don't think I'll sleep much tonight :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom