SOE 31: Yes, we have no bananas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, regarding the Trafalgar Square performance... Any idea what kind of set they're playing? I see they're being given an MTV award, and I'm wondering, are they just going to play one song (E.g.Best Thing or Get Out), or is this a whole show (or a mini show etc)?

So, regarding the Trafalgar Square performance... Any idea what kind of set they're playing? I see they're being given an MTV award, and I'm wondering, are they just going to play one song (E.g.Best Thing or Get Out), or is this a whole show (or a mini show etc)?

I think they originally billed it as a 40 minute set

I think they originally billed it as a 40 minute set

Is David guetta on before or after u2? Says the gig starts at 7 and ends at 10.

Would think that it's just guetta and u2 as there would be time needed to switch the set around.

Think the super fan winners have to be there for 3pm and doors open at 5 for everyone else

I think we know what U2 will be playing. Elevation, Vertigo, IWF, Get out, Best thing, and maybe Blackout.

Winter gets shit for its lyrics - butter on toast being he main culprit, but this line won me over (and why it was taken out of the released version from Brothers I will never know):

At 21,
I was born a son,
And on that day I knew I could kill.

To protect the ones,
We put bullets in guns,
Or anything it takes to take a life.

This is literally one of the worst U2 lyrics of all time, what the fuck are you talking about. This is "butter on toast" material. To protect the ones? We put bullets in guns? Seriously? This from the dude who gave us ASOH? Fuck the fuck off.

Trafalgar Square has been closed to the public all week, building a big stage set, I doubt they'd go to all trouble for the one song.

40 mins?

I’ll say:

Vertigo
Beautiful Day
Elevation
One
Pride
You’re the Best Thing
Get out of your own way
Blackout

This is literally one of the worst U2 lyrics of all time, what the fuck are you talking about. This is "butter on toast" material. To protect the ones? We put bullets in guns? Seriously? This from the dude who gave us ASOH? Fuck the fuck off.
Meh, I personally find lines like "tonight, we'll build a bridge across the sea and land" and "I'll be there, I'll be there tonight" to be terribly cliché. I do enjoy the song, but I by no means place it in the pantheon of all time great lyrics.

Meh, I personally find lines like "tonight, we'll build a bridge across the sea and land" and "I'll be there, I'll be there tonight" to be terribly cliché. I do enjoy the song, but I by no means place it in the pantheon of all time great lyrics.

Out of context like that, then yeah.
However I find the entire lyric of ASOH incredibly evocative. It's just gorgeous.

For me, lyrically speaking, TUF is their high watermark.

I wouldn't bother. When someone disagrees with Axver his take on lyrics, he immediately defaults to "fuck off".

I agree that some of the lyrics on ASOH are just as cliché and cringeworthy. "Dislocated, suffocated, the land grows weary of its own" Seriously? Come on now.

Last edited:
Well you can’t possibly think that’s cliched, so how is that cringeworthy?

I put that lyric in the category of cringeworthy, instead of cliché. ASOH is a great song. Some of the lyrics are poetic, but others are just plain silly.

I put that lyric in the category of cringeworthy, instead of cliché. ASOH is a great song. Some of the lyrics are poetic, but others are just plain silly.

But you haven’t answered how it’s cringeworthy. I mean you probably chose one of the best examples of what was great about Bono’s writing at that time, so it makes me wonder if you don’t get it or you just HAD to pick a line from axver’s favorite song?

I'm gonna say:

You're The Best Thing About Me
Beautiful Day
I Will Follow
Elevation
Vertigo
Where The Streets Have No Name
Yawn

Back
Top Bottom