SOE 28 - This is Meaningless. We're not getting anything newsworthy for a while

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackout had my attention initially but after repeated listens the chorus can't hold up to the promising pre-chorus. Still decent - so much rides on the album version production. I remain interested.

Best Thing is an odd duck. I periodically go back to it but find the lyrics and mix irritating. I so wish Bono's vocals could take a step deeper into the mix. The lyrics meet my expectations for this version of the band. Still when I've heard it a couple times on radio I surely turn it up. There is something there but maybe it hasn't grabbed ahold yet. A grower? Maybe. I put it ahead of Crazy Tonight but pales in comparison to Sweetest Thing.

Little Things is promising. I quite like what I've heard of the live version and project it on par with Kite and Mercy. Looking forward to the album version. It's U2 paint by numbers but I find more majesty, and evolution in it than past retreads like California and Iris. Those I hear the classic U2 sound but no depth and ultimately boring. My spectrum here may have Blinding Lights in the middle.

I adore what I've heard of Own Way. Infectious and inspired. The lift in the chorus rivals Beautiful Day. They've captured me again with this song. I think.

I live in a rural nexus between Columbus and Dayton, Ohio. I don't get any radio stations very well that would play a new U2 song anyway. The only stations we get very well are a classic rock station, a 70's/80's pop/rock variety station, and 4 country stations.

Used to get more stations, but there just aren't as many anymore.

WoW poor you. Must suck living in america
Hope you don't have NRA
https://youtu.be/a-o9pwWUzz0

You said "almost the exact same".

First lines:

Give me one more chance And you'll be satisfied A Dsus4 A
Give me two more chances And you won't be denied D Dsus4 A

When you look so good, the pain in your face doesn't show F# E B
When you look so good, and baby you don't even know F# E B

The first line in Even... goes A Dsus4 D A and in The Best Thing that first line goes F# Bsus4 B F#. Those are the same chords but in a different key. And the melody lines are similar. Whoever called the Bsus4 an E on the chord charts you probably googled must have been writing the chords based on the bass line.

Sadly here in Vancouver I have yet to hear TBT on the radio even once! I check the playlists from time to time of the radio stations that are most likely to play it here and yet nothing at all! Only the peak 102.7 played TBT 2 or three times on the first day and that's it. They play a lot more Coldplay and just about anything else but zero new u2.

The first line in Even... goes A Dsus4 D A and in The Best Thing that first line goes F# Bsus4 B F#. Those are the same chords but in a different key. And the melody lines are similar. Whoever called the Bsus4 an E on the chord charts you probably googled must have been writing the chords based on the bass line.

I haven't found anyone that agrees with your progression, some are claiming there's a C#m, but I haven't seen any with the Bsus. I admit I haven't had time to pull out the guitar and work it out myself.

I just want the album before I go into any in-depth analysis.

Although I do have one bit of analysis: GOOYOW is the best U2 song acronym ever. :lol:

I live in a rural nexus between Columbus and Dayton, Ohio. I don't get any radio stations very well that would play a new U2 song anyway. The only stations we get very well are a classic rock station, a 70's/80's pop/rock variety station, and 4 country stations.

Used to get more stations, but there just aren't as many anymore.

WoW poor you. Must suck living in america
Hope you don't have NRA
https://youtu.be/a-o9pwWUzz0

What an odd remark...

I don't own a gun and am not a member of the NRA, if that makes you feel better. One can live in rural America and not perpetuate that stereotype.

Last edited:
I haven't found anyone that agrees with your progression, some are claiming there's a C#m, but I haven't seen any with the Bsus. I admit I haven't had time to pull out the guitar and work it out myself.

I spent about a minute this afternoon playing both songs. That's how long it took me to figure out the chords. Bsus4 is very similar to the D-shape barre chord of an E. Tab for Bsus4 would be x24452; tab for D shaped E would be xx2454. Those are extremely similar in any case.

Edit: I just played around with it some more and it appears there's also a Bsus2 involved before it hits the F# the second time.

Last edited:
If this thread has done anything today it's get EBTTRT stuck in my head.

I was thinking that the phrasing "a boy" makes total sense in Spanish. "Tu eres la mejor cosa que pasear a niño." So there you go, it's fine. :wink:
(That's probably really, really wrong; my Spanish is rusty.)

:lol:

I love the optimism, but it doesnt feel like we're getting an album in 11 days. Sure, they could pull a fast one and just release it, but there'd be some promotion built into that. Right now that's an open day smashed between two dates in Sao Paulo on a tour for a different album. Not impossible, but seems like lunacy.

Now, a single, that's a whole other story. That would make sense.

I love the optimism, but it doesnt feel like we're getting an album in 11 days. Sure, they could pull a fast one and just release it, but there'd be some promotion built into that. Right now that's an open day smashed between two dates in Sao Paulo on a tour for a different album. Not impossible, but seems like lunacy.

Now, a single, that's a whole other story. That would make sense.

I would say 0.01% chance we get an album in 11 Days but 75% chance we get a second single.

I didn't think anybody was speculating that an album would drop on 20 October, just that we'd get a single and/or an announcement of the album being released on 1 December (and possibly tour dates for 2018).

I didn't think anybody was speculating that an album would drop on 20 October, just that we'd get a single and/or an announcement of the album being released on 1 December (and possibly tour dates for 2018).

I think it stems from a poster or two speculating that it could happen and then perhaps others take it to mean it will(it won’t).

There is ALWAYS someone!

In fact, the confirmed rumor* I heard was that U2 would announce Adam is leaving band to pursue a career in fashion and that they will disband and never tour again.

*rumor started by and confirmed by Cosmo

??????? we haven't heard the song in

1. its entirety
2. even in a high-quality clip
3. its entirety
4. its entirety
5. in high quality

how on earth do we know if the production is good?

My reference as regards production was not the U2 song but the aforementioned Dep Mode one, aka a generally good song as regards melody, atmosphere and production that imo is spoiled by a frankly bollocks clumsy lyric, it was not a reference to this Get Out song and btw of which I have heard enough (3+mins or so) in what is now very decent quality to get a general feel for and in this case I don't think it's that great a song...

My reference as regards production was not the U2 song but the aforementioned Dep Mode one, aka a generally good song as regards melody, atmosphere and production that imo is spoiled by a frankly bollocks clumsy lyric, it was not a reference to this Get Out song and btw of which I have heard enough (3+mins or so) in what is now very decent quality to get a general feel for and in this case I don't think it's that great a song...

Where did you hear this?

Unless you have a secret clip you’ve heard the same 75 seconds everyone else has - the 3+ minute video is the same section of the song over and over again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom