SOE 22 - 2018 it is... (it isn't)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't care what you say about Erectional Storm. It's one of my favorite U2 songs.

I just realised there's as big a time gap between Achtung Baby and Vertigo as there will be between Vertigo and Songs of Experience :huh:

Beach Clips needed here.....

But actually I like this more than the summer of 2014 where U2 went silent and we had no clue about anything. Now, some people even heard new songs from the upcoming album, and we know there IS an album....

The lyrics were bad sure but the actual song is pretty amazing if you ask me. The outro is pretty epic edge. It was a missed opportunity for sure. This song could have been epic. But I don't get the full on hate to this song really.
The reasons for the hate are in your post.

Musically the song is beautiful. It could have been something amazing, but those horrifically bad lyrics... specifically the chorus... turn it into a giant turd.

Well the difference is that Miami is a specific place that Bono has captured well judging by my experience/knowledge of the place.

ES is evocative of what, an actual electrical storm? "Let's see colours that have never been seen" is what a robot emulating Bono would come up with. "You're in my mind all the time" is what a 12 year-old would come up with.

See the blood get in your eyes
See the cap twist in your mind
I'll wait for brew

Tightened hand and fisted crate
On a spread of ales she makes me wait
And I wait without brew

With Or Without Brew
With Or Without Brew

Spew is warm, the speech is poor
I drank it all but I want more
And I'm waiting for brew

With Or Without Brew
With Or Without Brew
I can't live
With Or Without Brew

And you give your brew away
And you give, and you give

My gland is fried, my liver misused
Three sheets to the wind
And I can't tie my shoes

And you give, and you give

With Or Without Brew
With Or Without Brew
I can't live
With Or Without Brew

With Or Without Brew
With Or Without Brew
I can't live
With Or Without Brew
With Or Without Brew

Last edited:
Sign me up for some Pop tracks on the 3rd leg. If they rehearsed, they could replace Elevation or Vertigo and throw in Gone or Last Night on Earth....highly doubtful, but it's fun to picture it.

Sign me up for some Pop tracks on the 3rd leg. If they rehearsed, they could replace Elevation or Vertigo and throw in Gone or Last Night on Earth....highly doubtful, but it's fun to picture it.

Or switch out Miss Sarajevo for Please.

I love Miss Sarajevo, but it's been played a lot and Please (which is similarily evocative) has been getting very little love. Not played since Elevation Tour. :sad:

agreed, Ms Sarajevo needs to go, but it won't. It's a very important song to them. Plus, i think it gives the band a bit of a breather....and the crowd to ask "what song is this (and then head to bathroom)?

Ah the eternal hope for a Pop track, certain to be dashed.

The reasons for the hate are in your post.

Musically the song is beautiful. It could have been something amazing, but those horrifically bad lyrics... specifically the chorus... turn it into a giant turd.
And this is why I don't hate the song. Because musically the song is beautiful. I am one who gravitates toward great instrumentation and music more so than lyrics themselves. I am probably the minority here so despite the fact that yes the lyrics are bad and awkward I can look past them because the instrumentation is awesome. But yes it could have been the perfect song given better lyrics but to me it just doesn't bother me enough to hate the song. Plus compared to the shit lyrics of today's radio pop hits that get played a million times on the radio, this song is miles better than those. Compared to u2 standards I will agree that the lyrics are shit.

Last edited:
agreed, Ms Sarajevo needs to go, but it won't. It's a very important song to them. Plus, i think it gives the band a bit of a breather....and the crowd to ask "what song is this (and then head to bathroom)?

Of all the songs played every night so far, Elevation surprises me the most. It's a party live, but it strikes me as the most disposable song in the setlist. Decently well known, but not a huge hit (hello hello Vertigo) with not thematic linkage to... anything.

If the new single is a rocker, I expect Elevation to get the boot. Or not. Speculation is fun.

The music for Unknown Caller I get. There's some great stuff going on there. It's just hard to listen to it over the literal shouting of those God awful lyrics and the filler "oh ohs." I blame Bono for dropping the ball on that one or Eno having just a bit too much influence on the final outcome.

The Fly
It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
All kill their inspiration and sing about their grief

Unknown Caller
Shout for joy if you get the chance!
Password, you enter here, right now!
Oh, oh!

This is the same guy???

It kinda makes you wonder what he is on about.

Of all the songs played every night so far, Elevation surprises me the most. It's a party live, but it strikes me as the most disposable song in the setlist. Decently well known, but not a huge hit (hello hello Vertigo) with not thematic linkage to... anything.

If the new single is a rocker, I expect Elevation to get the boot. Or not. Speculation is fun.

For my 3 cents. Elevation when it came out was the only real rocker on ATYCLB. For me I loved POP and AB and appreciated ATYCLB but missed the rockier up tempo vibe those albums brought. Elevation satisfied that a bit.

Last edited:
And this is why I don't hate the song. Because musically the song is beautiful. I am one who gravitates toward great instrumentation and music more so than lyrics themselves. I am probably the minority here so despite the fact that yes the lyrics are bad and awkward I can look past them because the instrumentation is awesome. But yes it could have been the perfect song given better lyrics but to me it just doesn't bother me enough to hate the song. Plus compared to the shit lyrics of today's radio pop hits that get played a million times on the radio, this song is miles better than those. Compared to u2 standards I will agree that the lyrics are shit.

I'm like that too. Don't know if I changed along the decades.
All the different ways a melody, harmony, instrumentation, and singing can be awesome will like 98% of the time will seriously win me over so-so lyrics. But if they both are awesome that's even better! And I guess "so-so" lyrics according to some folks I don't find them so ?cring-worthy. :D

For my 3 cents. Elevation when it came out was the only real rocker on ATYCLB. For me I loved POP and AB and appreciated ATYCLB but missed the rockier up tempo vibe those albums brought. Elevation satisfied that a bit.

Surprised Tomb Raider Mix wasn't on the album. It's the only one I ever listen to.

Ah the eternal hope for a Pop track, certain to be dashed.

Hey, if we hold out for another decade and a half, we might get another one-off performance of SATS, feat. Bono making cryptic digs at Jimmy Iovine and complaining about how the song wasn't a hit.

I'm a realist when it comes to (no) Pop tracks being played live, but I really don't understand how they don't dust off Staring at the Sun for acoustic set here and there. I mean, they called the 360 stage a space ship, IE was about experience in the second half of the set on the e-stage when they played a decent amount of stuff...

Back
Top Bottom