SOE 19: Back To The Studio Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wherever The Joshua Tree is in the set, how would you prefer it to be played?

• Total voters
I fear for you the most.

We ain't getting this album anytime soon. They will extend TJT Tour and say they've hit a rich song writing vein.

While TLTTGYA (can we get shorter titles??) has a nice melody, so does nearly every U2 song. But it's missing something. At least live it's missing a lot.

As someone else said, if this is the best off of SOE, then take more time and start over

Hmmm not sure why Bono would mention it if the album wasn't coming soon, also by the token you are labelling this new song could be the same as red hill mining town, as that sounds like it has something "missing" when being played live, so should we not wait to judge based on an actual recording of the song?, plus I also happen to enjoy the song, but oh well each to their own

I fear for you the most.

We ain't getting this album anytime soon. They will extend TJT Tour and say they've hit a rich song writing vein.

While TLTTGYA (can we get shorter titles??) has a nice melody, so does nearly every U2 song. But it's missing something. At least live it's missing a lot.

As someone else said, if this is the best off of SOE, then take more time and start over

Plus isn't it all about personal opinions? Why should the people who don't like the song get the band to completely start over? What about the ones who do like it?, and no one, not even the band have said this is the best song from SOE

I think it's a lovely song. They've made lots of those since ATYCLB, but it feels like it's missing something.

And if others love it that's fine. I just wonder how the reaction to it is in the stadium?

According to Bono this would be the continuation of IE tour. So someone within the band felt the album wasn't good enough.

So there's not much to stop them from using TJT tour to keep pushing it back

I think it's a lovely song. They've made lots of those since ATYCLB, but it feels like it's missing something.

And if others love it that's fine. I just wonder how the reaction to it is in the stadium?

According to Bono this would be the continuation of IE tour. So someone within the band felt the album wasn't good enough.

Agreed, it's like half a song or bits of songs stuck together. I don't hate it and it's not awful it's just pretty average.

Probably the same reaction love is blindness got during ZooTv

I absolutely love the piano melody. My hope would be the song starts out for about 2-3 minutes of just those notes before Bono comes in....for the studio.

It's kind of like EBW. The studio version was lovely, nothing too fancy but had wonderful atmosphere. They went with the stripped/Adele method which was great too, until they decided that was the version they wanted to play live every night. The MTV Awards performance was the best, and I wish it would have stopped there.

A good quality recording of the live song may help too, as my speakers/headphones don't really pick up the bass line, or the drums that well.

The Edge solo at the end has the chance to really take off too. There's enough freedom with the rhythm section for him to expand and play around. Much like Kite when they played down under.

As for putting their best song out there, meh. I think if you're going to play a new song off a potential new album, maybe put your best out there? I don't know this song really gets anyone excited. To be fair, the song's subject matter isn't the most joyous either. And that gives me hope for SOE. Give me sad Bono

No way Bono says "we have a new album" and it doesn't get released soon, he has been saying very similar along with Adam for some time

I really hope SOE will still sounds like the "SOE is being born" instagram clip and like the Fender video !

Hmmm, the ones who are saying how average it is are the same ones who post the most negativity....pattern emerging

Hmmm, the ones who are saying how average it is are the same ones who post the most negativity....pattern emerging
If it was a great song I'd say it was a great song, it's just bang average, that's it. Its not great or terrible, just very MOR.

There are so many songs in U2's catalog that if some folks heard them live first before studio they say the same thing. It is what it is :shrug:

But 'dangerously average' is hilarious :lol: that's like saying "dangerously safe".

The lyrics are great. That, and the build at the end save it, but musically the first 3/4ths of it are rather meh. That's my impression after seeing it live twice.

Last edited:
I haven't listened to it yet, and I don't plan on listening to it until I see it live in Cleveland. That'll give me a positive context to experience the song for the first time, and a positive memory to associate with it forever!

Maybe I'm maturing, or maybe I just don't give as fuck as much as I used to, but the fact that I have the willpower to not listen to this song right now actually surprises me!

The lyrics are great. That, and the build at the end save it, but musically the first 3/4ths of it are rather meh. That's my impression after seeing it live twice.

That's where people differ though isn't it, I actually prefer the first few minutes of the song,

I can't even remember anything about North Star, which shows you the impression it left.

(And no, please don't post a video clip to remind me. If I ever feel like listening to it, I know where YouTube is.)

I can't even remember anything about North Star, which shows you the impression it left.

(And no, please don't post a video clip to remind me. If I ever feel like listening to it, I know where YouTube is.)

25 light years from home........sorry

Back
Top Bottom