SOE 19: Back To The Studio Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wherever The Joshua Tree is in the set, how would you prefer it to be played?

• Total voters
The title "Introduction to Songs of Experience" might make somebody think "oh wow, an introduction to the next album? SWEET!"

Maybe 1/50 U2 fans know about that extremely obscure song(?) on the 2nd disc of the Joshua Tree reissue that came out 10 years ago. We only know the difference because we're crazy.

If they can bring even 1/4 of the talent and energy of 21 Pilots I may stick with them.

This made me laugh, comparing U2 four decades in with a moderately successful alt-hip hop band that's been around for 3 years. Thanks for that- you do you, friend.

I don't know guys. I just got done reading an article and now I don't think the Joshua Tree is the masterpiece I thought it was.

360 had a number of problems with the setlist, but playing the new songs was not one of them. Didn't kill those shows. I maintain this is a brilliant promotional opportunity: "we've just played one of our masterpieces, and stay tuned for more great music. Here's a sample."

I wasn't referring to the "new songs" from NLOTH. We all knew those songs as they'd been released on an album. I'm referring to stuff like Glastonbury, Mercy, Boy Who Fell... and North Star. As much as the hardcore fans on here were excited to hear totally new songs (relatively speaking), they totally interrupted the flow of the show and the mood fell flat.

I really hope they're excited about SOE and its good to go, but I think they really need to be careful how they go from here or it could get messy.

Someone else was saying that if they did put new songs in the reaction outside of here would be meh. I disagree... You can see the reviews now about how "in a desperate attempt to stay relevant they played a new song(s) which fell flat, couldn't compare to the classics" etc.

I really hope they're excited about SOE and its good to go, but I think they really need to be careful how they go from here or it could get messy.

Someone else was saying that if they did put new songs in the reaction outside of here would be meh. I disagree... You can see the reviews now about how "in a desperate attempt to stay relevant they played a new song(s) which fell flat, couldn't compare to the classics" etc.

I hope they dont worry about this kind of shit. Reviewers be damned

Play the new songs, U2.

Play them, and then release the new songs!

Release!

giphy.gif

I don't know guys. I just got done reading an article and now I don't think the Joshua Tree is the masterpiece I thought it was.

WTF!!!!

Please, remember:

-Streets
-Looking for
-With or without you
-Bullet
-Running
-Red hill
-In god's
-One tree hill
-Exit

IMO only wires and mothers are weaker songs but they are great songs too. Ergo,

9/11 incredible songs + 2/11 great songs=Incredible fucking masterpiece. Try to find 10 or 20 better albums.

;) Just my opinion! A little of passion here even though I'm a nineties fan. Zooropa is my favourite ;):hyper:

Sorry if my english is not very good and greetings from Barcelona (Catalonia) Soon heard of Catalonia. We want to decide our future but Spain does not. However, we consider ourselves a free nation and will without your permission because 80% of the Catalan population wants to do it). A strong political conflict in Europe but don't worry. Catalans are fighting peacefully and happily massively for our freedom. And many Spaniards understand that democracy is the only claim. To decide our future freely. Keep an eye in September. :wave:

Last edited:
I hope they dont worry about this kind of shit. Reviewers be damned

This is U2 we're talking about, they seem to care what everybody thinks.....

And it's not just U2, people go to gigs to hear the hits and the songs they know. Obscure b sides and new songs never heard usually go down like a fart in a spacesuit with everyone but the geeks.

I wasn't referring to the "new songs" from NLOTH. We all knew those songs as they'd been released on an album. I'm referring to stuff like Glastonbury, Mercy, Boy Who Fell... and North Star. As much as the hardcore fans on here were excited to hear totally new songs (relatively speaking), they totally interrupted the flow of the show and the mood fell flat.

Yes, I clarified in a subsequent post that those are exactly the new songs I meant, not the stuff from NLOTH. I don't think the mood fell flat at all. Mercy and Glasto in particular rocked enough to keep a reasonable amount of attention. They did better than Your Blue Room! (And let's be honest, how much of the crowd knew NLOTH songs, Zooropa, etc.? I promise you the majority every night had no fucking idea what Breathe was.)

And although your pessimistic prediction for gig reviews is probably what some outlets will run, especially those where reviews of U2 are rarely kind, I think it's just as possible that reviews will say "after playing a classic album, U2 proved that they have more in them than just nostalgia by sharing a new song with much promise for their next album bla bla bla".

The National just released the first single from their upcoming album, due in September. This follows the release of snippets of music from other album songs earlier in the week.

The new way to build hype. Release a string of awesome songs well in advance of the physical release. Let the music speak for you.

C'mom U2.

The National just released the first single from their upcoming album, due in September. This follows the release of snippets of music from other album songs earlier in the week.

The new way to build hype. Release a string of awesome songs well in advance of the physical release. Let the music speak for you.

C'mom U2.

Wow, 4 months in advance! Assuming an autumn release of SoE, maybe there is a possibility we'll see a lead single before the end of the JT tour (maybe july?).

After all, the rumour last year was of a more traditional, low key release (i.e. lead single way in advance of the album), so if that's still the plan, maybe we will see something over the summer... assuming they don't delay again!

Having said that, i doubt 'The Little Things' would be the lead single. It shows promise, but it seems like a very slow tune. I'd assume they'll lead with something more upbeat and energetic... in the vein of 'The Best Thing', if not that tune itself. I think there's a small, small chance they might debut more than one SoE track on this tour.

That would mean U2 has actually completed a song for SOE

We know they're back to tinkering and redoing the album

Live streaming performance of the album in full would be better promo than standard lead single.

C'mom U2.

The National is one of my top 5. Also saw on my FB feed that they are giving a digital copy of the album with purchase of tickets to their concert. So looks like the National may get themselves a high chart entry upon release.
I had said months ago that U2 should have done this, to wrap SOE into the JT tour. Give a digital download of SOE with every JT ticket purchased. Or give them a code to stream the album early or something. Either way, you would have a couple million U2 fans with new U2 music in their hands and another number one album for the band.

Last edited:
Wow, 4 months in advance! Assuming an autumn release of SoE, maybe there is a possibility we'll see a lead single before the end of the JT tour (maybe july?).

After all, the rumour last year was of a more traditional, low key release (i.e. lead single way in advance of the album), so if that's still the plan, maybe we will see something over the summer... assuming they don't delay again!

Having said that, i doubt 'The Little Things' would be the lead single. It shows promise, but it seems like a very slow tune. I'd assume they'll lead with something more upbeat and energetic... in the vein of 'The Best Thing', if not that tune itself. I think there's a small, small chance they might debut more than one SoE track on this tour.

Beck was releasing songs a year before his is due out. This is the new promo scheme, which seems to be replacing the surprise drop.

U2's strategy over the past decade is to tell people they have so many songs that they can't release them ;)

C'mom U2.

Yeah, seriously. And it's so damn good. Sometimes I wonder if The National is my favorite band over U2.

I had said months ago that U2 should have done this, to wrap SOE into the JT tour. Give a digital download of SOE with every JT ticket purchased. Or give them a code to stream the album early or something. Either way, you would have a couple million U2 fans with new U2 music in their hands and another number one album for the band.

The problem: SOE isn't ready yet .. at least not in their mindset ... in Edge's words .. "it is quite malleable".
New U2 album could be finished later this year - The Edge - Independent.ie

They might present 1-2 new songs during the TJT Tour, but I'm quite sure they still want to work on SOE until last minute

Did you see the date on that article?

Yes of course I did ... my assumption still holds I guess. I just wanted to provide a source (for "malleable" )

I am 2000000% sure ( at least) that they will get back to SOE after the EU leg in late summer and "try to finish" SOE for a fall 2017 release

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom