So, Winter's been rerecorded (streaming link inside)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm really eager to hear the song properly. I think there's going to be some great sounds in there.

I swear I made a post saying that having heard the full bootleg that I wholeheartedly approve of this arrangement... and it seems to have disappeared, so in conclusion... I do.

Just listened to it and I approve as well. They could have gone in a different direction, sure, but in the end they gifted us with a gorgeous song. It's very much what I would expect from Songs of Ascent, based on the "pilgrimage" descriptions. I particularly love the strings at the end of the song and Bono's vocals sound incredible out front of the mix.

I really likes how they solved they jerky transitions between the chorus(es?) and the verse, but from the little I heard, I'm already missing that rapidly plinking/plunking guitar or keyboard or whatever it was flitting through the background. It was mesmerizing in the original.

Aww hell, the more I listen to the bootleg, the more I absolutely love this song. I can't wait until I hear the thing in its full glory. Even in this form, I'm to the point where I'd give it a 10/10, up from the 6-or-7/10 I was planning for the original.

The damn thing has brought me close to tears at a couple of points today.

Aww hell, the more I listen to the bootleg, the more I absolutely love this song. I can't wait until I hear the thing in its full glory. Even in this form, I'm to the point where I'd give it a 10/10, up from the 6-or-7/10 I was planning for the original.

The damn thing has brought me close to tears at a couple of points today.

It's powerful!

I'm conflicted. Judging the song simply by itself, it's a very beautiful track. However, having listened to the Linear version so many times, I can't appreciate the new version that much. I wonder how many people feel that way too?

Count me as one that feels that way.

I like this version. It's a pretty little tune. But I loved the Linear version so much that this seems to me like a really good movie that was edited for TV, if you know what I mean.

Aside from the "butter and toast" line there are some amazing words here.

Thanks for the link and the... entertaining debate.

Its not bad, ill admit i went a bit harsh saying its ruined and shit, but the lyrics are just to flat. There needs to be more echo and they need to blend more with the music,

saying that, the original is still miles better.

Linear version is much, much better. This is at best, pleasant... And I really do not like the "So glad you made it home" bit at the end... Wasted opportunity.

Great song, really, Eno was right!

Some of the lyrics are not all that great, but I really like the choruses lyrically, they seem to be about writing and how the writer is not really in control.

With the Winter coda, it becomes almost a song about writer's block.

Many thanks, Mikal

Thanks Mikal!

I like this song pretty much now that I can hear the whole song clearly. I don't think it's brilliant but it could still grow on me.
The transitions are fixed and the VLV-strings are gone. I also like it better because it doesn't try to be a big anthem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom