So what've we got so far? - a proposed map of the album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wasn't that exchange with Edge about Mercy during the video shoot for WITS? I thought the fan who asked him that said he was an extra in the WITS video when he was able to ask Edge about it while they waited between takes. And I think that happened during the Australian part of the Vertigo Tour if I remember correctly. I hope I do.

Songs of Ascent: map of the album
Last Update: March 7th 2009

Album name: Songs of Ascent
Release date: Nov 09/ Early 10
Producers: Eno/Lanois/Lillywhite

Possible songs:
Every Breaking Wave - possible first single according to RS
Tripoli - Left over from NLOTH
Winter - Left over from NLOTH
Not As Yet - Left over from NLOTH
Kingdom of Your Love - Left over from NLOTH
Diorama - Left over from NLOTH
Thank You For the Day - Bono/Lanois collaboration. Different versions in existance pre-Fez summer 2007.
Mercy - Left over from HTDAAB (Edge mentioned to a fan a few months ago that they are still working on it)
Pilgrim's Lack of Progress - House of Abraham Left over from NLOTH
Velvet ...s? = Velvet dress mood on a track?

Mood: A more reflective album, with pilgrimage as the central theme. It is intended to be a companion album to NLOTH

Pictures and other sources:
u2boardsmall.jpg

fezboardenhanced.jpg

Two sheets with lyrics

Does anyone have the book or whatever it was where all the unreleased titles are mentioned?
If so, could all possible titles be summarized in one post?

Do we know for sure Eno/Lanois/Lillywhite will work on SOA ?

Velvet hope ? *squinting*

BRING FLOOD BACK!!!!!

And keep Lanois/Eno/Lillywhite

:drool::drool:

Yeah, where did that come from?

It's what Edge said the last time he was asked. I believe he said it's not finished, (not that they were working on it.) At least this is what a fan reported that Edge told him, so ................ ?

It's what Edge said the last time he was asked. I believe he said it's not finished, (not that they were working on it.) At least this is what a fan reported that Edge told him, so ................ ?

That was years ago. I really doubt Mercy will be on SOA.

According to the sources I've gathered through the years, the last time we could read anything close to official about Mercy was actually just over a year ago, Mid-January 2008.
So I guess this is basically what has happened since 2004 when it was leaked:

Melbourne December 2006, Window In The Skies-video shoot: Edge tells a fan that "It's not finished yet, there are still some parts of it we are working on." when asked about what will happen to Mercy after a moment of initial confusion.

May 2007: Bono told Italian fans outside Hanover Quay that Mercy was to be included on the follow-up album to How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb and couldn't understand how it got out of the studio and appeared online. The rest of the band, Danny Lanois and Dallas Schoo were also spotted.

Mid-January 2008: Billboard comments on the Fez sessions, writes that "Bono has claimed the set will feature Mercy" and that they have enough material for two albums.

Aaand for what it's worth - February 2009: Spanish speaking girl looking despreately for attention among U2 fans offers to leak No Line On The Horizon and says a new version of Mercy called Moon Mercy is the bonus track. Somehow she decides to withdraw the offer after claiming she was insulted and threatened:uhoh:

I really have no clue as how the next album will sound, my worst nightmare would be an album full of 'Grace'-type songs. :sad:

May 2007: Bono told Italian fans outside Hanover Quay that Mercy was to be included on the follow-up album to How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb and couldn't understand how it got out of the studio and appeared online. The rest of the band, Danny Lanois and Dallas Schoo were also spotted.

Mid-January 2008: Billboard comments on the Fez sessions, writes that "Bono has claimed the set will feature Mercy" and that they have enough material for two albums.

WHY DO BONO AND EDGE LIE??

:sad:

:drool:

They're starting work again, and its barely been a month after NLOTH was released. :up:

Last Update: August 13th 2009

Release date: December 2009/ Early 2010 according to Sam O' Sullivan in Zagreb.
Recorded in: Fez, Morocko and finalized in Vancouver, Canada 2009/10?
Format(s): Possibly CMX / Apple Cocktail? (Digital).

Possible songs:
Every Breaking Wave - possible first single according to Rolling Stone.
Winter - Left over from NLOTH
Not As Yet - Left over from NLOTH
8522720743878734.jpg

Kingdom of Your Love - Left over from NLOTH, 360° Intro music.
Thank You For the Day - Bono/Lanois collaboration. Different versions in existance pre-Fez summer 2007.
Mercy - Left over from HTDAAB (Edge, Larry (?) mentioned that they are still working on it.)
Pilgrim's Lack of Progress - House of Abraham Left over from NLOTH
We Love You - Born on Elevation Tour show in Antwerp, possibly reworked and used as celtic/arabic intro to Beautiful Day on first leg of U2 360° Tour.

Mood: A more reflective album, with pilgrimage as the central theme. It is intended to be a companion album to NLOTH

u2boardsmall.jpg

fezboardenhanced.jpg

852272074321596.jpg

8522720743357879.jpg

LEFT SHEET IN RED:

Code:
[COLOR="Red"]
Next to your perfect skin	Next to yo--

I'm an irritation		         I'm like so--
and way to serious to take	and way --
seriously.			         to take s--

You free me			Am I like
from the free frame		and
ight flight fear		         ----
	    fame		        next to you
you free me cause		I'm just an
your not vain			And WAY loo
glouriously.			        lo lake ser--
[/COLOR]

RIGHT SHEET IN GREEN:

Code:
Please be a star let ?? me to s--
?? fall
caller ??
see him crack

everybody is a star

Marie Antoinette . ?? like a loyal
		             like ?? ?? a boy??
Slowly to all and ??

Ras?? can?? 17 70 -
Flashy eyes and brighter
just a baby -
Marie Antoinette at an ??
	standing heat 

flash w--
--ss calm down
[/COLOR]

Last Update: October 30th 2009

Release date: Early 2010 according to Sam O' Sullivan in Zagreb.
Recorded in: Fez, Morocko and finalized in Vancouver, Canada 2009/10. Confirmed by Stuart Morgan on vertigovid's Twitter
Format(s): Possibly CMX / Apple LP? (Digital).
Bono previously mentioned something similar to these formats in Q Magazine about No Line On The Horizon:
On a markedly less drunken occasion at home in the South of France last summer, Bono experienced a eureka moment. Staring at his huge plasma TV screen he was using to play music, he found himself suddenly frustrated by the virtually static nature of the iTunes control panel.
"I'm looking at this stationary iTunes, wondering why if we were listening to The Joshua Tree, you couldn't maybe see full-screen photographs moving?" he recalls. "If I was reshooting that cover now, I'd shoot it over 40 minutes and have the heads moving. Even in working-class homes there's big, fuck-off plasma screens. And I thought, Look at that screen and then think about the gatefold vinyl album in its heydey...this is way better! This could waste it!"
As a result, U2 are currently working on releasing No Line on the Horizon as a downloadable widget - a piece of interactive software - complete with artwork and lyrics. "Then I thought, Gosh, you can't rob that." Bono points out, arching an eyebrow knowingly. "We might have thought of a new format".

Possible songs:
Every Breaking Wave - possible first single according to Rolling Stone.
  • Q Magazine, December, 2008:
    With Or Without You-style pulser that builds layers of guitars over electronically enhanced verses before opening up into an expansice drop chorus and then, ultimately, exploding into an exstatic coda. Key line: "Every sailor knos that the sea/Is a friend made enemy"
  • Rolling Stone, January 22, 2009:
    A swelling soul-pop song, with bright synth sounds influenced by OMD and, Bono says, "early electronica". "You don't hear indie bands doing blue-eyed soul [like this]." he adds.
Winter - Left over from No Line On The Horizon
Not As Yet - Left over from No Line On The Horizon
8522720743878734.jpg

Kingdom of Your Love - Left over from No Line On The Horizon
YouTube - Complete U2 360º Concert - Giants Stadium
Mercy - Left over from HTDAAB (Edge, Larry (?) mentioned that they are still working on it.)
YouTube - U2-Mercy
Pilgrim's Lack of Progress - House of Abraham Left over from No Line On The Horizon
We Love You - Born on Elevation Tour show in Antwerp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDFK704DLDY
...Possibly reworked and used as celtic/arabic intro to Beautiful Day on first leg of U2 360° Tour:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-tgDNUWmQ0

u2boardsmall.jpg

fezboardenhanced.jpg

img117i.jpg

852272074321596.jpg

8522720743357879.jpg

LEFT SHEET IN RED:

Code:
[COLOR="Red"]
Next to your perfect skin	Next to yo--

I'm an irritation		         I'm like so--
and way to serious to take	and way --
seriously.			         to take s--

You free me			Am I like
from the free frame		and
ight flight fear		         ----
	    fame		        next to you
you free me cause		I'm just an
your not vain			And WAY loo
glouriously.			        lo lake ser--
[/COLOR]

RIGHT SHEET IN GREEN:

Code:
Please be a star let ?? me to s--
?? fall
caller ??
see him crack

everybody is a star

Marie Antoinette . ?? like a loyal
		             like ?? ?? a boy??
Slowly to all and ??

Ras?? can?? 17 70 -
Flashy eyes and brighter
just a baby -
Marie Antoinette at an ??
	standing heat 

flash w--
--ss calm down
[/COLOR]

Okay, don't panic--I'm not a Mercy fanatic about to start a freak-out thread about how it's going to be on SoA. But I am really intrigued. When did Edge and/or Larry say they were still working on it? I would have thought this would have been huge news here, but I never heard it anywhere. Anyway, could you supply the source? I'm really curious now.

Back
Top Bottom