So what've we got so far? - a proposed map of the album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read the entire post. It just seems hypcritical to tell everyone not to judge the songs, and then say yourself that it "doesn't seemg reat so far".

Of course snippets don't sounds great. Hearing Adam play the bass riff in solo for a song that relies heavily on the guitar and drums isn;t going to give you a great impression.

Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds would sound like shit if you only heard Paul practicing the bass on a dogy hand-held camera clip.

I'm not saying you're not entitled to have an opinion about the song, but you can't tell people to reserve their judgement, and then turn straight around and make your own judgements on something you've never heard

It was a tongue in cheek comment that I made. Its not hypocritical at all. Of course we have to wait for the complete song. But it doesn't mean we can't discuss and critique whats out there.

If you go out to a restuarant and hear the waiter tell you about how good a dish is or read the description in the menu you're going to discuss with your table whether or not you think the dish sounds good and is worth getting. Of course you won't know if you'll like it until you have it but it doesn't mean you can't discuss it. People do that all of the time.

Geez...its like noone has a sense of humor round here.

Unfortunately way too many people on this site don't let their sense of humor take the wheel enough.

I like that they have enough of a library that they can revisit past projects...

Wave of Sorrow, is a great example of a 1986 piece, stamped in 2007, dontcha think?

I agree, i want new stuff/sound...but if it's done well enough with the 'reworks', they can be genius.

Never confirmed, but wasn't 'One' actually a 'leftover' from the JT sessions like Wave??
Interesting that we will certainly have some Danny L boy influence on this one!

Never confirmed, but wasn't 'One' actually a 'leftover' from the JT sessions like Wave??

That would kind of ruin that whole story about how they came up with One in Berlin and it saving the Achtung Baby recording sessions.

Interesting that we will certainly have some Danny L boy influence on this one!

Well, for what its worth...I read and seen in various interviews that U2 members have done that the genesis of the song "One" occured during the AB sessions at Hansa Studios.

I guess Edge was playing the now famous riff or it was recorded and the engineer was playing back to the other band members and it ignited a frenzy that got them all out of their musical rut and back on the right path. They instantly started jamming on it and the rest is history I suppose.

thanks guys, recall that as well-
brings up an interesting thought that i have always pondered about any 'drug/hallucinogens' involved in Germany :hmm:
wasn't the AB sessions where Adam forced bong hits on everyone?
...kidding...

It was a tongue in cheek comment that I made. Its not hypocritical at all. Of course we have to wait for the complete song. But it doesn't mean we can't discuss and critique whats out there.

If you go out to a restuarant and hear the waiter tell you about how good a dish is or read the description in the menu you're going to discuss with your table whether or not you think the dish sounds good and is worth getting. Of course you won't know if you'll like it until you have it but it doesn't mean you can't discuss it. People do that all of the time.

Geez...its like noone has a sense of humor round here.

Unfortunately way too many people on this site don't let their sense of humor take the wheel enough.

But who goes to a restaurant and orders something they dont know they will like. I don't go to a restaurant and order dog because I feel like change, its an expensive way to learn.

and as for the sense of humour comment... point to where what you said was funny? There is a difference between ordering food in a restaurant and being openly critical of music you've never heard before. Especially after you yourself told everyone else to reserve judgement

i'm surprised that there hasn't been any announcements yet about the first single.

i'm surprised that there hasn't been any announcements yet about the first single.

yeah I'm surprised that there hasn't been any recent official announcements yet about anything regarding the new album...when was the last piece of official news reported? Surely this is abnormal....for U2 at least, no?

yeah I'm surprised that there hasn't been any recent official announcements yet about anything regarding the new album...when was the last piece of official news reported? Surely this is abnormal....for U2 at least, no?

i don't think we've actually had any official news whatsoever, other than corbin shooting a video without the band even being there.

i don't think we've actually had any official news whatsoever, other than corbin shooting a video without the band even being there.

yeah...that's what I originally thought, but then thought there must've been some sort of official news in the lead up to this album...I guess not :shrug:

:hmm:

Thinking back to 2004, I'm pretty sure there wasn't an "official announcement" as such until about 3 months before release, which made it August. So there's no need to worry yet. I'm expecting news by the end of this month.

Also the album has been finished for weeks... And we know how U2 like to release albums in Oct/Nov, I seriously doubt it would be released early in the year, as they know sales will be a lot bigger with November release. Also, I'd wager the tour will start March/April and they learned their mistake from Popmart of putting tickets on sale before the album was out. We need to just be patient, though after hearing the beach clips it's kind of hard to do that!

Thinking back to 2004, I'm pretty sure there wasn't an "official announcement" as such until about 3 months before release, which made it August. So there's no need to worry yet. I'm expecting news by the end of this month.

well....it is frustrating having no official announcements or whatever..and how quiet they are keeping this record it seems...but it doesn't really bother me...i mean it's frustrating, but at the same time I think it's sort of cool (Achtung Baby) and a change from past records like Bomb...so yes it's hard to wait, but I think it's cool that they're keeping it quiet. And I'm not really worried if we don't get an announcement this month, as I'm fairly confident the record will be released in November...

So there's no need to worry yet. I'm expecting news by the end of this month.
Well at least we knew the name of the first single by this time four years ago:

*Interference.com has received the following information today.
The first single "Vertigo" will be officially released on Friday, September 24th to radio. The album will be released in the United States on Tuesday, November 23rd, 2004.
Single Retail: November 8th, 2004
(08.17.04)

I really hope they officially announce some details soon.
EDIT:
I guess I was wrong after all. We got the official announcement in September.
*U2.com announces full details of "Vertigo" - the first single from the new album. (09.07.04)

I think a release date of januari is also still possible, since the UABRS remaster is first in line... Allthough from a sales perspective November is of course prefferable (just before the holiday season) But a junuari release would explain the silence on the official front so far...

There's no way this album is getting released in January. The way I see it there's a couple other explanations:

* This is complete non-sense.
* Steve Averill said U2 where working on two seperate projects last year, one which is the Eno/Lanois collaboration and the other was a U2-only album. Perhaps this is one of those projects?
* U2 might've produced enough material for a second album, it's been mentioned several times how they have material for a single album or maybe even two or three. Perhaps they want to release another collection of songs soon?
* It's the next album in the remaster series?
* The release of the Spider-Man musical soundtrack? I don't know how far in advance they sell the soundtrack for a musical that has it's premiere in October 2009.

Also, we just got this piece of information quite recently, make of it what you want.

No word yet as to what the album title will be, but it is slated for release on Nov. 17 in Europe, Nov. 18 USA. I'm the music editor for a major newspaper and that's the info I got from Universal last week.

http://forum.interference.com/showpost.php?p=5384558&postcount=30

If you're the only one releasing in January, it might not hurt sales at all. Look at Coldplay's succes. They've been on top of the charts for how long? Possibly partly because of lack of competition?

Not that I'm expecting U2 to do that... Certainly don't want to wait that long!

I think a release date of januari is also still possible, since the UABRS remaster is first in line... Allthough from a sales perspective November is of course prefferable (just before the holiday season) But a junuari release would explain the silence on the official front so far...

Fall of 2008 :wave:

i really hate to be a downer, but i'm really starting to believe that if we don't hear anything by Sept. 1 about the first single, we might want to prepare ourselves for later than November 18th. it just seems like we had much more concrete information at this point last year.

that was when we were dismantling an atomic bomb...much more complex than exploring no line on the horizon. each album since the interent has had it's own unique 'leak' and or 'official announcement'
why should we expect differently?
i for one am locking in the 18th as the release and my birthday, October 1 for the first single-

i really hate to be a downer, but i'm really starting to believe that if we don't hear anything by Sept. 1 about the first single, we might want to prepare ourselves for later than November 18th. it just seems like we had much more concrete information at this point last year.

yeah but this entire lead up to the album has been more quiet than Bomb's lead up...so what makes you think it would be any different with regards to any official announcements?

Maybe interesting to bring up the marketing plan that accompanied the build up to the ATYCLB release? (there could be a maasterplan!)

yeah but this entire lead up to the album has been more quiet than Bomb's lead up...so what makes you think it would be any different with regards to any official announcements?

i hope you're right. that would be great if they took that approach, but as long as Paul is their manager, i just don't see that happening.

i hope this bad feeling i have goes away...

My first real post in 4 years of membership but anyways,

Guys, I wouldn't be worried. I just did a search about the official announcement of HTDAAB and it appears we didn't hear anything official about the title until early to mid September. There was strong press reports about HTDAAB being the title at this time of August in 2004 but the official announcement didn't come till mid September. See link.

http://www.xfm.co.uk/news/2004/u2-announce-lp-title-and-head-for-hall-of-fame

until we do hear something official we logically can;t hear any news before that.... so until we do, whats the point on getting down about it. I mean, until it happens we won;t know when it's going to happen. Every day is as likely as the previous one, and there is absolutely no reason to get down now we when havent heard yet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom