Single Profound Lyric

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BVS

Blue Crack Supplier
What do you think is the single most profound line that Bono has penned. Not a song, but a single lyric. One single lyric where Bono seemed to sum up the whole thing, make you think, etc.

I think when Bono wrote

"We thought that we had the answers, it was the questions we had wrong."

He summed up a huge part of what U2 is about in one single line. I think it's a great humbling and insightful line, and to think it came from a very young Bono.

So what are your thoughts?

Bono's shades said:
My vote goes to "We're one, but we're not the same." That's the first thing that popped into my head when I read the topic.

:yes: That and, "Love is a temple, love the higher law."

"Tell the ones who hear no sound, Whose sons are living in the ground"

from Peace on Earth

I couldn't just name on piece of lyric saying that this is what U2 was and is about cos that's simply not possible for me. I could name a dozen lines saying that this is it, but that would be a lie.

I believe it, Jesus' coming. <--That would probably be a sum up of U2. They did and do believe it.

I believe in the powers that be, but they won't overpower me
--"A Celebration"

with or without you, I can't live
--"With or Without You"

I, too, like the "one but we're not the same" bit.

My vote goes to Running to Stand Still:

"You've got to cry without weeping, talking without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

So deep. Oxymoronic.

One off the top of my head:

"The boys and girls collide to the music in my ear"

"Jesus, Jesus help me... I'm alone in this world... and a fucked up world it is too"
-Wake up Dead Man

'I can't believe the news today, I can't close my eyes And make it go away"
-Sunday Bloody Sunday

"Just the Bang and the Clatter - as an Angel hits the ground"
-Stay, Faraway so close

those are just a few :yes:

i have to mention this one from red hill mining town.

we're wounded by fear
injured in douth
i can lose myself
u i cant live without

everytime i listen to it my eyes water

Great topic....

For me its definately, without a doubt:

"You know I believe it..But I still haven't found what I'm lookin for"

I can't convey in words the meaning of that statement, and the meaning the song as a whole has to me.

Last edited:
"The air is heavy, heavy like a truck..."

Just kidding! :wink:

I have to go with "We're one, but we're not the same," as well...that just sums up everything about the world, whether it's the life and relationships of one person, one city, one nation.

Hmmm...profound lyric...*thinks for a second while running through her head all the lyrics from U2 songs that she's heard*

Here's three I can think of (all from "Achtung Baby"-wonder what that says about that album?):

You miss too much these days if you stop to think

-Until The End Of The World

It's no secret that a conscience can sometimes be a pest (how true!)

-The Fly

Yeah, I'd break bread and wine
If there was a church I could receive in

-Acrobat (considering how these guys are rather spiritual, this lyric's kinda interesting)

Angela

for me there's two:

ACROBAT
In dreams begin, responsabilities

ONE
Did I ask too much, more than a lot
You gave me nothing, now it's all I've got

Moonlit_Angel said:

Yeah, I'd break bread and wine
If there was a church I could receive in

-Acrobat (considering how these guys are rather spiritual, this lyric's kinda interesting)

Angela

Well I think it has to do with the fact that they've had no spiritual home for so many years. This lyric made a whole lotta sense after I read about how they ended up leaving the Shalome fellowship around the time of October. As a minister's son I can sypathise. Organized religion has so much garbage and hypocrisy you its often hard to find a church to recieve in. Acrobat as awhole has always resonated with me.

"In the garden I was playin' the tart, I kissed your lips and broke your heart"

I just love the whole take on Judas in this song. Reminds you how personal the whole thing was.

"And in the world, a heart of darkness, a fire-zone
Where poets speak their heart then bleed for it"

and

"I don't believe in painted roses or bleeding hearts
While bullets rape the night of the merciful."

I just love One Tree hill and the power and eloquence of this song inspired by the loss of a friend is touching and just amazing.

Blacksword said:
Well I think it has to do with the fact that they've had no spiritual home for so many years. This lyric made a whole lotta sense after I read about how they ended up leaving the Shalome fellowship around the time of October. As a minister's son I can sypathise. Organized religion has so much garbage and hypocrisy you its often hard to find a church to recieve in. Acrobat as awhole has always resonated with me.

Oh, me, too-and that explanation makes sense.

Originally posted by Blacksword
"I don't believe in painted roses or bleeding hearts
While bullets rape the night of the merciful."

I just love One Tree hill and the power and eloquence of this song inspired by the loss of a friend is touching and just amazing.

Yeah, it is...and these two lyrics, along with the two following those, are my favorite lines from that song. Just the way they're written...wow.

Angela

"Life should be fragrant
Rooftop to the basement"

I love that. It's sincere, and it's something that everyone should take to heart.

Also, I love the final fading lyrics to Walk On. The "All that you fashion. All that you make." bit. Especially the line that the album drew its title from. "All this you can leave behind." To me it's about getting past all the bulls**t in your life and living for what is really important.

There are so many single lyrics, though. These are just the first ones that came to mind. There's so much wisdom in all of these songs!

Bono's words are far too great for me to choose just one line. I was in a dark place before U2 found me a few years ago. I don't know how I survived before U2 so choosing one is an impossibility because every single word that man :bono: has ever sung means something to me :sad:

All the ones mentioned already I like too. The first line that popped in my head when I read the first post in this thread was "Let's see colors that have never been seen, let's go to places no one else has been" from ES. I just really like that line... not entirely sure why, it just kinda gives me one of those tingly feelings deep down :cute:

Just the bang and the clatter
As an angel runs to ground

Its not jsut the lyric its the whole way Bono sings it gives me that tingly feeling u2girl02 talked about

U2girl02 said:
The first line that popped in my head when I read the first post in this thread was "Let's see colors that have never been seen, let's go to places no one else has been" from ES. I just really like that line... not entirely sure why, it just kinda gives me one of those tingly feelings deep down :cute:

:yes:.

That's one of my favorite lines from that song.

Angela

"I want to be the song the song that you hear in your head LOVE" from Discoteque seem to sum up the bands needs in a unique way. Most people think of slower songs for insightful lyrics.

I think Pop is really the most autobiographical of all thier albumns, at least in regards to fame.

I absolutely love all the quotes mentioned....esp. from "One" and "One Tree Hill"....... These ones are great as well:

And you can dream, so dream out loud And you can find your own way out.
And you can build, and I can will
And you can call, I can't wait until
You can stash and you can seize
In dreams begin responsibilities
And I can love, and I can love
And I know that the tide is turning 'round
So don't let the bastards grind you down.

also:

"Will we ever live in peace?
'Cause those that can't do often have to
And those that can't do often have to preach

To the ones staring at the sun"

I was asked recently why I played a particular CD (1990 - 2000)over & over. My immediate reply was,
"You know what it is, but you still want some"
This lyric has been running around in my head for time now.
U2's lyrics pop in my head and change daily, some just hang out there and all of the above mentioned are front & center.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom