Shuttlecock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This. Between what we got, and what we heard behind the scenes, I think the material for it to have been their 3rd masterwork behind AB and JT is in their vaults.

Yep. But I wouldn't even begin to associate any sequence of ATYCLB, HTDAAB or SOI with the word "masterwork." A sizable chunk of NLOTH has the ambition to be truly great, whereas I feel like SOI is receiving praise for simply not being embarrassing. And, sure enough, it isn't.

In that top 10 songs since 2000 thread, I had a list together, but when I noticed there were no new tracks on it, I got depressed and closed the tab. It bums me out that I don't feel any strong emotions about anything on the album yet.

Last edited:
Rattle & Hum, with the live stuff/covers removed and the outtakes added, would be a formidable album. But overall I do a lot of skipping.

Boy is impressive, but doesn't finish that strong to me. And it's very homogenous, which is a big negative for me. War may have The Refugee and Red Light but it has 4 stone-cold classics and more variety.

It would be boring if everyone had the same opinion. The end of Boy is my favorite part of the record. The whole closing stretch from A Day Without Me to Shadows And Tall Trees is magic for me. The riff in ADWM, and the wordless vocals at the end(which are about the most innocent the band ever sounded to me), the solo and Bono's vocal performance in ATAP, EC is a classic, and Shadows is quaint and beautiful imo.

Oh well, different strokes.

But like I said before, I'd take those stone-cold classics from War over probably anything on Boy or SOI and maybe even some other records that I ranked above War.

Yep. But I wouldn't even begin to associate any sequence of ATYCLB, HTDAAB or SOI with the word "masterwork." A sizable chunk of NLOTH has the ambition to be truly great, whereas I feel like SOI is receiving praise for simply not being embarrassing. And, sure enough, it isn't.

In that top 10 songs since 2000 thread, I had a list together, but when I noticed there were no new tracks on it, I got depressed and closed the tab. It bums me out that I don't feel any strong emotions about anything on the album yet.

Sorry it's not clicking with you yet LM. I hope it does soon.

As far as the second half of Boy is concerned, Electric Co. and Another Time Another Place are excellent songs. I'll defend those any day. It takes an appreciation for post-punk to separate U2 from it and really love what they were trying to accomplish with that set of influences, but that's one of my favorite genres, so maybe that's why I treasure that record. I think I have it 5th right now.

Sorry it's not clicking with you yet LM. I hope it does soon.

As far as positives, I think the lyrics are a real step up (along with some of NLOTH). Very personal and surprisingly detailed, considering he's been throwing around a lot of platitudes for years now. NLOTH got Bono thinking more in terms of images and scenes and that specificity really helps give his storytelling uniqueness and poetry on SOI. HTDAAB was also very personal, but the way he communicated those stories made them feel generic and distant.

The songs themselves haven't really jumped out at me, but there's nothing I totally dislike. The Miracle, California and Song for Someone are pretty unremarkable, but not egregious. The problem is the lack of standouts. Honestly, I really like Iris. It has infectious energy and a great arrangement. Every Breaking Wave is close to being a great song. Volcano, Raised By Wolves and Cedarwood Road restored my faith in U2's ability to write a good rock song. So there are plenty of good things to say about the record.

Last edited:
Namckur, since your very active on this thread and put AB so high in your list, could you please deliver us all the influences that you know or maybe think influenced the album? I would kill to just have a wall of comprehensive information on this topic. And know every little thing that went into Wild Horses and Arms around the World, for example.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Namckur, since your very active on this thread and put AB so high in your list, could you please deliver us all the influences that you know or maybe think influenced the album? I would kill to just have a wall of comprehensive information on this topic. And know every little thing that went into Wild Horses and Arms around the World, for example.

Well, I don't think I'm as informed on the topic as you think I do. I mean, I know what's well-known, which is that the Manchester scene, specifically bands like the Stone Roses, were a huge influence on the group when they were making AB, but outside of that I'm not sure if I'm aware of any overt influences, though I'm sure there had to have been.

As far as the second half of Boy is concerned, Electric Co. and Another Time Another Place are excellent songs. I'll defend those any day. It takes an appreciation for post-punk to separate U2 from it and really love what they were trying to accomplish with that set of influences, but that's one of my favorite genres, so maybe that's why I treasure that record. I think I have it 5th right now.

In the shadows

Noel gets stabbed

Nick Drake.

Top 4: (in no order)

Volcano
Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
The Troubles
Every Breaking Wave

Another spin through. Still really not feeling it. I don't have a great motivation to go back to it again and again, let alone like four or five times a day. The Troubles remains the best song, I'm not sure I've got a phrase that is hyperbolic enough to describe how much more I like it than anything else on the album. Also quite like Every Breaking Wave and Sleep Like a Baby sounded pretty sweet to me this time through, but Lemel's right, I think I'd have much preferred a shit "album" with four or five standout highlights than an album that doesn't have anything bad, but just leaves you a bit flat.

iYup sent me the booklet, so I will give it another listen and read along with the lyrics too, haven't been able to do that yet.

I think I just heard the intro to Volcano during the Bears game broadcast.

So...you mean...Travis was right? Shit...somehow, I've heard the album more than him, but he was able to pick out the intro to that song, and I told him there was no way that's what it was :lol:.

So I've finally been able to listen to the album a few times through. Like most people have said, it's easily their most consistent album of the 2000's. I think that'll make it easier to listen to in a few years time. At first I didn't hear many stand-outs but that's changed after a few listens. Iris, Sleep Like a Baby Tonight, Cedarwood Road, The Troubles and Every Breaking Wave are a cut above the rest.

The Miracle is clearly the worst one and the only song I dislike. It sounds similar to Stand Up Comedy or Get On Your Boots in the sense that it's as if they pasted together a few parts of different songs. It sounds extremely forced. Luckily it's the first track so I usually just start with EBW.

The first four songs are all attempts to make hits which always puts me off a bit but EBW and California are just good songs and don't sound forced. They both have great hooks. Song For Someone is okay. The solo is laughable though.

Then we have Iris. This is the Magnificent or COBL of this album and it succeeds because of the lyrics and a great bridge. I can't remember the last time a bridge elevated a U2 song so much for me. Those last few lines are Bono at his best:
Iris playing on the strand
She buries the boy beneath the sand
Iris says that I will be the death of her
It was not me

Volcano and Raised By Wolves are both solid rockers. Then we arrive at the final four songs which is just a great stretch of music. Especially the three songs I've mentioned earlier. Bono's vocal on Cedarwood Road is amazing and puts above many other rockers U2 has done. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight is the most surprising song on here. It would have fit nicely on Zooropa. This is probably the song where Danger Mouse had the most influence. It's also my favorite Edge song. I'm still not sure what to do with This Is Where You Can Reach Me. I enjoy it but it hasn't hit me yet, not in a positive or a negative way. This one sounds like it could be on War. The Troubles is the song that's growing on me most with each listen. It'll probably end up as my favorite. It's so beautiful and haunting. The ending is abrupt but at least they haven't ruined it by trying to make it too epic or by having a lame Edge solo.

Overall I really like this record. Not sure if it tops NLOTH yet as I loved that one when it came out and it's only gone down since. We'll see.

My ranking as of this very minute:
Iris
Cedarwood Road
Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
The Troubles
Every Breaking Wave

California
Raised By Wolves
Volcano
This Is Where You Can Reach Me

Song For Someone

The Miracle

Front page of today's Boston Herald:

front_9152014.jpg

The new mayor travelling to Ireland, plans to pitch U2 playing at Fenway to nobody in particular while there.

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinio...ty_walsh_goes_to_bat_to_get_u2_to_fenway_park
Mayor Martin J. Walsh is off to Ireland Thursday for his first trip as mayor of Boston, and he is determined to bring back both Irish business and Irish rock — in the form of a U2 commitment to play at Fenway Park.

“I’m going to try and make that happen,” said Walsh, who will be meeting with top Irish business leaders and pols — as well as appearing on a popular Irish late-night show — and he doesn’t plan to miss a chance to make the case for Boston.

Walsh told the Herald he “was hoping” to hook up with U2’s manager Guy Oseary while he’s in Dublin, “but he won’t be there. And I was hoping there was a U2 concert there.” But he isn’t ready to give up.

The son of Irish immigrants will, as the luck of the Irish fated, have a stage should he choose to appeal directly to Bono and The Edge. On Sept. 27, Walsh will be a featured guest on the season premiere of Brendan O’Connor’s “The Saturday Night Show.”

“It’s like a Jimmy Fallon or Jay Leno or Johnny Carson type of show,” Walsh explained.

Sounds like he's very in the loop... "was hoping there was a U2 concert there", cause you know, Ireland and all.
Typical poilitician.

My Bloody Valentine

It's true, they used the opening to Volcano as a bump to break.

It's good that the album will get some exposure. And the band can get some income from it.

Sounds like he's very in the loop... "was hoping there was a U2 concert there", cause you know, Ireland and all.

What a freaking idiot.

Front page of today's Boston Herald:

front_9152014.jpg

The new mayor travelling to Ireland, plans to pitch U2 playing at Fenway to nobody in particular while there.

Marty Walsh goes to bat to get U2 to Fenway Park | Boston Herald

Typical poilitician.

Hey, his intentions were good.

How about this article on boston.com today?

Did U2 Rip Off a Boston Band? - Music - Boston.com

Back
Top Bottom