Shuttlecock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's what I thought when Invisible came out and all the interviews discussed how the new songs were looking back on their origins as a band, but now it sounds more like a restatement of purpose then a swan song. At least that's my optimistic take on it for once.

Yeah, same. I feel like this is actually kinda of a reboot, or something...

... though as someone in the other place said, if they follow the two up with Songs of Ascent, I think that means they're done.

By the way, what a big moment for Lykke Li. The only other duets to appear in U2 albums are BB King and Johnny Cash. Not bad company.

Sinead O'Connor's duet on I'm Not Your Baby should have been on Pop. And still deserves mention as a high profile collab.

Yeah, same. I feel like this is actually kinda of a reboot, or something...

... though as someone in the other place said, if they follow the two up with Songs of Ascent, I think that means they're done.

A cohesive triptych of albums wouldn't be a bad way to bow out. But if 5 years wasn't enough, EBW's appearance on this record is the final nail on the possibility of SoA as anything more than outtakes rereleased with NLOTH down the line I'd wager.

If I was them, the singles would have been:

1. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
2. Volcano
3. The Troubles

Wow, I really need to relisten to Where You Can Reach Me. That shit didn't even come close to feeling like a single to me. Hmmmm.

Another really catchy chorus on this is Sleep Like A Baby. That shit was stuck in my head immediately.

I'm gonna get high and roll with my 2nd listen tonight, this time on headphones.

So happy that there's nothing here that makes me openly cringe. This has the fewest cheesy eye-rolling moments of anything they've done in a long time.

Finally managed to listen to this with good headphones. What a fucking long day. I'm very happy, though. The album surprised me positively.

The Troubles is my favorite thing on this (although it begs for a longer fade out, as someone mentioned earlier).

Favorites:
The Troubles
Raised by Wolves
Volcano

Potential to Grow:
Iris
Every Breaking Wave
Cedarwood Road
This is Where You Can Reach Me Now
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight (although I am convinced this would be one of those boring side 2 songs in a past 2000s album - the production makes it interesting)

Meh:
Song for Someone
California

The middle 3 - Volcano to Cedarwood Road - are a fantastic stretch. I can't help but think they are compensating for the NLOTH middle disaster.

I wonder if Invisible is being saved for Songs of Experience, if that is even a real project. The lyrics would fit the "experienced" side of this supposedly coming-of-age counterpoint albums.

Just a minor addition: did anyone else feel like a parent watching his/her kid's theater play while listening to this? Like "please, just please, don't fuck this up?".

Just a minor addition: did anyone else feel like a parent watching his/her kid's theater play while listening to this? Like "please, just please, don't fuck this up?".

I watched you very closely and you didn't screw up once!

I definitely feel like that whenever they appear on live tv/talk shows. That's for sure.

I only had chance to listen to it all the way through once, but I've probably listened to the majority of the songs a second time. The two that have stuck with me with so few listens are Every Breaking Wave (which I'd never heard prior) and Volcano.

Can't believe I listened to a U2 album six times in a row today.

Same.

Now how cool would it be if Shuttlecock still managed to hit #1 after the Oct 13 wide release?

I'll still be buying it.

Sinead O'Connor's duet on I'm Not Your Baby should have been on Pop. And still deserves mention as a high profile collab.

My version of Pop in a playlist has it!

If I was them, the singles would have been:

1. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
2. Volcano
3. The Troubles

I would choose Volcano, Raised By Wolves, and This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now.

Nope.

And even if Billboard was willing to count it, they'd have to parse out the U.S. iTunes number from that worldwide total.

They didn't count the Jay-Z/Samsung thing and they're not going to count this.

Now how cool would it be if Shuttlecock still managed to hit #1 after the Oct 13 wide release?

Their competition that week is Jessie J and no one buys EDM albums, so they'll get #1 with a decent single to remind everyone that the album is out.

I really, really think that Song for Someone could be a hit...I think...I mean, I can just imagine hearing it on the radio, that's for damn sure.

There needs to be way more hype for Cedarwood Road. Best U2 song for a decade; what an unexpectedly good, passionate vocal from Bono in an era of scratchy, dull singing and bland slogans for lyrics.

My considered opinion is that I never want to hear Volcano ever again, and that The Troubles is the standout. Very solid, that one.

But Sleep Like A Baby Tonight is also probably a keeper.

Others it's too soon to form any coherent impression of as yet, except for Magnificent Iris, another one of those sort of songs that they seem to feel the need to do each album.

Fuck I wish Danger Mouse produced the whole thing himself. He really did do interesting things with the band on The Troubles and Sleep Like a Baby Tonight. I very much enjoy the last three or four tracks. It's such a shame the first half of the record is so excruciatingly corny.

Why oh why do they always do this kind of shit?

Kieran, on a scale of one to wait this isn't a prank?! NO WAY, how surprised were you that something significant actually happened in U2 world today?

You must have some childhood trauma that you need to resolve.

Kieran, on a scale of one to wait this isn't a prank?! NO WAY, how surprised were you that something significant actually happened in U2 world today?

I was moderately surprised when I checked into my usual forum (not Interference) and saw Caisenema Zoorerang96 waxing lyrical about it. I have to admit.

I also have to admit that I have had to try harder than Samuel L Jackson in Pulp Fiction to not hate new product from the guys on principle. Look, the interesting stuff is stuffed into the back end, so that's where I'm focusing my attention for now.

so what's the secret to downloading it? I'm in the purchased tab, and I don't see the album at all, not even a little cloud to click on?

Click on the store.

Look to your right and there is a column called "quick links."

Click "purchased"

You'll go to a page that should list it. If not, there's a little tab that will allow you to look at everything, including un-synced items, called "not in my library." Select that and you should be able to get to it.

so what's the secret to downloading it? I'm in the purchased tab, and I don't see the album at all, not even a little cloud to click on?

It looks like you've sorted it out, but if you still have any problems, make sure you're using the latest version of iTunes and that in your preferences you have ticked the box to show iTunes in the Cloud purchases (I had to do both of these before the album appeared).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom