Shuttlecock XXV: Cool Hats Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've bought every U2 album on CD.

Have caught a bit of the vinyl bug recently so this might be a place to start my U2 record collection. I think Bono's voice sounds pretty good in the Beautiful Day clip. That deeper register works.

I'll probably just get the CD. Probably. Mostly because I'm concerned about how many songs they will make actively worse, and so I don't wanna spend $60+ on vinyl. The news isn't even on their website yet! Was hoping to find a tracklisting.

Quality > quantity. Nearly half the tracks are from the 00s onwards, and the majority of them can't hold a candle to their 90s work.

I'm still excited for it (and the video is really cool), but it's just a bit sad.

Isn't this the sort of thing old artists do when they have nothing new to say? May as well release an album of cabaret covers.

Also I’m really, really interested in what they’ve done with GOOYOW.

Bono is actually dressed as Lincoln’s Ghost in the video clip.

I can only imagine how boring stripped down EBBTRT, Acrobat or Discotheque would be. That said I’d take it over another version of Ordinary Love that nobody except Jimmy Fallon will know.

it seems to me very on-brand for an interference mod to post in a thread "wow i remember this thread, it goes way back! i even started it, very cool!" and then immediately lock and archive it.

They couldn't possibly make it worse, could they?

I’m of the very few who think it’s not that bad as is, but I genuinely think it’s an opportunity play it in a totally different light.

Like, if they themselves were going through their own catalog, learned everything about themselves all over again, and finished this project off by “getting out of their own way” in some many-dimensional sense.

I'm interested, but not overly enthusiastic. I see it as a side curio. Hope the rumours are true that a new album (with new songs) is coming at the end of the year. That Songs Of Surrender is not a dead end into irreverence for them (like the Springsteen 'soul' karaoke album).

I’m of the very few who think it’s not that bad as is, but I genuinely think it’s an opportunity play it in a totally different light.

Like, if they themselves were going through their own catalog, learned everything about themselves all over again, and finished this project off by “getting out of their own way” in some many-dimensional sense.

this is my line of thought.

i have zero issue with it - i'm seeing it for what it is, a nice side project to hold us over until the new album comes out. if all that comes from it are a handful of good tracks? great. it's not as if they're taking this out on the road.

Yep, and this band is in their early 60's. Good to see them celebrating their legacy instead of instead of embarrassing themselves by trying to appeal to the pop crowd.

Yep, and this band is in their early 60's. Good to see them celebrating their legacy instead of instead of embarrassing themselves by trying to appeal to the pop crowd.

exactly. this could have been an album of songs remixed by [INSERT HIP PRODUCER OF TODAY] in an effort to appeal to the youths and i don't think anyone would have been surprised by that decision.

U2 acting their age is a welcome development under any circumstance.

Back
Top Bottom