Should Mercy be the lead-off single for the new album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd realese it as as single... but like the 3rd...

ussually it takes until the 2nd single for people to buy a record... and this one as 3rd may be the answer to the undecided

I don't think it should be on the new album at all. The new album I want will be like nothing I've heard before, and I've already heard Mercy. We need 11/12 new songs, not 10/11 new songs and one we've already played to death.

There's no hook.

No as a single, yes as a possible album opener. Though U2 usually opens their album with their first single, so I guess not.

Re: Re: Should Mercy be the lead-off single for the new album?

U2girl said:

as well as Fast cars. So, most likely Lillywhite produced.

Fast Cars yes, but Xanax & Wine must have been one of the first, and the difference between the two is all on the very very surface.

As for fucking Mercy.... Seriously. What part of U2's past makes you think that a fully leaked song like that is ever going to appear on an album? For those out there fawning over this song as if it's the second coming, you may be very lucky to get it as a tweaked b-side or soundtrack throwaway or something, but the chances of that overblown thing appearing on a proper studio album are about as good as George Bush recording a Zoo Confessional for the next tour "I've made a few mistakes..." They're simply not going to release it now that the horse has well and truly bolted, and I think that's a good thing. Personally, I hope that 1 track out of the blessed 12 or so U2 manage to put out every few years isn't taken by Mercy. You have Mercy now. Why do you want it again? Leave that slot open for something new, hopefully something interesting and good.

Re: Re: Re: Should Mercy be the lead-off single for the new album?

Earnie Shavers said:
As for fucking Mercy.... Seriously. What part of U2's past makes you think that a fully leaked song like that is ever going to appear on an album? For those out there fawning over this song as if it's the second coming, you may be very lucky to get it as a tweaked b-side or soundtrack throwaway or something, but the chances of that overblown thing appearing on a proper studio album are about as good as George Bush recording a Zoo Confessional for the next tour "I've made a few mistakes..." They're simply not going to release it now that the horse has well and truly bolted, and I think that's a good thing. Personally, I hope that 1 track out of the blessed 12 or so U2 manage to put out every few years isn't taken by Mercy. You have Mercy now. Why do you want it again? Leave that slot open for something new, hopefully something interesting and good.
:bow: :love: :bow:

Earnie Shavers said:
Personally, I hope that 1 track out of the blessed 12 or so U2 manage to put out every few years isn't taken by Mercy. You have Mercy now. Why do you want it again? Leave that slot open for something new, hopefully something interesting and good.

Amen.

What part of U2's past makes you think that a fully leaked song like that is ever going to appear on an album?

Actually, nothing like this has ever happened in U2's career to compare this to so it is impossible to say. The Achtung Baby outtakes are early incomplete versions of songs, some of which were released and others not. Discotheque and WUDM were both leaked before the release of the album and they were still included on POP.

This is a different case altogether. Mercy was ditched because the album was too long and maybe for other reasons that we don't know. It is obvious from interviews that the band really liked this song. Most people on this board see it as some sort of second coming. Maybe they exagerate but therre is no denying it is a strong song. I see no reason why they would not include this on a sub-sequent album. You can't look to their past because nothing like this has ever really happened before.

Earnie Shavers said:
As for fucking Mercy.... Seriously. What part of U2's past makes you think that a fully leaked song like that is ever going to appear on an album?

Thank you! It's time to let Mercy go people. It wasn't good enough this time around I'd be willing to bet it won't be good enough next time around. Get over it.

It contains some of the most energetic stuff and the best lyrics we've heard from U2 in many, many years. I guess that's why so many people are so hooked on it.

I highly doubt we will see it on any album now, though.

i'd like it closing Side One of the next record and it sounds like perfect single material to me, but it just seems a little long and it would either a) annoy radio listeners with it's long [yet excellent] build-up, or b) be butchered to the point where half the verses are missing etc. :(

Hoodlem said:
therre is no denying it is a strong song.
Yes, there is. I'm denying it right now. It sucks. Trite lyrics (HEY, OPPOSITES ARE FUN), bland music.

Hoodlem said:

Actually, nothing like this has ever happened in U2's career to compare this to so it is impossible to say. The Achtung Baby outtakes are early incomplete versions of songs, some of which were released and others not. Discotheque and WUDM were both leaked before the release of the album and they were still included on POP.

This is a different case altogether. Mercy was ditched because the album was too long and maybe for other reasons that we don't know. It is obvious from interviews that the band really liked this song. Most people on this board see it as some sort of second coming. Maybe they exagerate but therre is no denying it is a strong song. I see no reason why they would not include this on a sub-sequent album. You can't look to their past because nothing like this has ever really happened before.

And U2 cracked the shits big time over the Achtung outtakes. They were livid about that. And that was loooong before the net and the ability to send something to everyone everywhere within 24hrs. 99.9% of the worlds U2 fans never heard those outtakes. The Pop songs were leaked in the weeks/month prior to the release of the album. Not a full 2 years in advance. And the band cracked the shits over that as well. This IS a different case altogether. The entire song was sent out there, everyone has it, possibly a full 2 years or more before any new album comes out. There is no way an overprotective, anal band like U2 will then go and put it on an album.

No way. (a) they'd be fucking angry that it's out there (b) they're not that lazy.

And thank god for that. It's a rambling overblown song that even for Bono is ridiculously high on the cliche marker. I agree, it's a good b-side. It's not what I want to hear next from U2 though. It's a big old fashioned wank of a song.

I really like Mercy, but I agree it is way too long, and takes too long to build up to the point where it has alot of energy. Plus, I am sure radio listeners in the US will dismiss it because of it's pretty religious or spiritual lyrical connotations. I will admit though, finishing HTDAAB with Mercy and Yahweh would have been pretty cool.

Earnie Shavers said:

Personally, I hope that 1 track out of the blessed 12 or so U2 manage to put out every few years isn't taken by Mercy. You have Mercy now. Why do you want it again?

It's not so much that I want it to get an official release as I want U2 to play it live :drool: and obviously they won't do that if it's not on an album. But I'd also like a higher quality (bitrate, finished mastering) version of the song and I'd like to hear it in the context of an album, because I think it's one of the best things U2 has ever done. Yes, that's my opinion. Many others share it. Many don't. I'd actually be interested to see how Mercy would fair in a poll, since Interference seems to be so fond of polls lately :hmm: it seems Mercy was hailed as the second coming for a long time, but now it seems the naysayers outnumber the fans. But I could be wrong.

As for whether it should be a single or not: no. It would do horribly on mainstream radio as it's way too long and not necessarily catchy. I maintain however that it could be brilliant live.

U2Man said:
It contains some of the most energetic stuff and the best lyrics we've heard from U2 in many, many years. I guess that's why so many people are so hooked on it.

Yes!!! People may be exaggerating and hyping it up here (what message board doesn't do that, though.. really? :huh: ) but the build-up in that song is so good and the lyrics!!! the lyrics are better than 75% of ATYCLB and HTDAAB, IMO.

Earnie Shavers said:

And thank god for that. It's a rambling overblown song that even for Bono is ridiculously high on the cliche marker. I agree, it's a good b-side. It's not what I want to hear next from U2 though. It's a big old fashioned wank of a song.

Nice post - not sure I agree 100% - but nice anyway.

thelaj said:
Had those songs (the zooropa ones) been leaked to the extent that Mercy has though?

No? - well at least one of them had. 'Wake up dead man' are lyrics clearly used in the salome outtakes on both 'She's gonna turn your head around' and "take you down' and the final versions sounded nothing whatsoever like the original incarnations.

I didn't realize the division this Mercy thread would cause - I like the track and think it has potential (and I stated in the original post clearly that it needs tweaking and an edit). I would never suggest it is OK the way it is...anyway, I hope it shows up on the next album, that's my opinion and I'm stickin' wwith it! :wink:

Ellay said:

No? - well at least one of them had. 'Wake up dead man' are lyrics clearly used in the salome outtakes on both 'She's gonna turn your head around' and "take you down' and the final versions sounded nothing whatsoever like the original incarnations.

well the only lyric "clearly" used is "wake up, wake up dead man"..........nothing else.

people love it, people hate it........Christ. This is becoming worse than every "Pop" thread ever....People who hate the song....just don't post about it anymore, people who like it don't care what you say about it because you won't change their opinion....yes we know you hate it already....but people who like it should be able to talk about it without "you" reminding us how much you hate the discussion.....We won't convince you to like the song, we promise and your feelings are noted for record.

people love it, people hate it........Christ. This is becoming worse than every "Pop" thread ever....People who love the song....just don't post about it anymore, people who hate it don't care what you say about it because you won't change their opinion....yes we know you love it already....but people who hate it should be able to talk about it without "you" reminding us how much you love the discussion.....We won't convince you to hate the song, we promise and your feelings are noted for record.

It's an awesome song, one of their best in a while in my opinion. I don't think it's single material though. It's too long and unpoppy. I know that's a lame excuse but such is the current state of the music business :(

face it folks, they held it back.
and it will be on the next album.
anyone with any business sense knows it.

it won't be an ep
it won't be a stand alone single (because there won't be a stand alone single between albums)

and the next album will likely be songs that were being worked on during htdaab

just like some songs worked on during atyclb were finished for htdaab, etc...

and mercy will 1. be on the album and 2. be a single.

maybe not the first single, but it will be a single.
and even if somehow, by some strange mystery, it isn't a single, it will be played live at every show on the next tour (if there is a next tour)

read the words, the band loves the song, the fans love the song,

and then there are some that "hate it" (i find that hard to believe)

and some that "wouldn't buy the album if mercy were on it" (i find that impossible to believe)

whatever the case, it is a dumb debate. The question is meaningless. Mercy is a shoe in. it will be the focal point of the next cd.

sorry

Back
Top Bottom