Shearwater - The Golden Archipelago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They played a truncated opening set before St. Vincent back in May, I guess. :grumpy:

I find it odd that Dinosaur Jr. is less popular than Shearwater, btw. I know plenty of people who would go for one and gloss over the other too. Weird bill, but I still want to go.

Dinosaur Jr. is headlining I believe. Not sure though, might be a co-headlining type deal.

Guess who I just bought tickets to see at the same tiny ass venue I'm seeing Wild Nothing at!!!?

It seems like I haven't posted in this thread. I just wanted to say that I like the newest album a great deal, especially the last three tracks.

I've also listened to Rook and Palo Santo. The singer's voice is more prominent on those records which is a good thing as far I'm concerned. In general, they seem to focus more on atmosphere. Rook is easily my favourite. I didn't really enjoy Palo Santo. I thought it was a bit boring. Maybe I need to listen to it when I'm in the right mood though.

What are your favorite songs from Rook?

I still probably listen to The Snow Leopard once every couple weeks.

If I ever find myself sitting near a fjord in Norway on an overcast, chilly day, I want to be listening to rook while I'm there. Or at least to the first two songs. I can't really think of a place and weather that fit any music better, hypothetically speaking of course since I've never actually been to Norway...and for as much as I enjoy rook, I enjoy animal joy more, but I've still never heard the gulag archipelago.

Well, what are you waiting for? Listen to it.

3800a2a3.png

u2popmofo said:
Well, what are you waiting for? Listen to it.

* SPOILER *

It won't let me open the spoiler tag, which is either you messing with me to see how many times I'll click it before I realize Andrew wk isn't inside. Or Andrew wk is inside and my ipad has been traumatized enough and refuses to acknowledge its existence.

:( DirecTV was out here yesterday, supposedly to hook me up with the ability to get their 3D channels (including that one), but it didn't happen. Oh wellz.

Besides the fact that these guys are AWESOME live, and because iYup and Mofo were talking about shipping details the other day, thought I should share that I managed to find a copy of the Loser edition of the album and its on its way here :drool:

Setlist last night:

Landscape at Speed
Animal Life
Castaways
Dread Sovereign
You As You Were
Insolence
Rooks
Immaculate
Open Your Houses (Basilisk)
(Live debut)
Breaking the Yearlings
Star of the Age
Pushing the River
White Waves

Encore:
Nobody
Hail, Mary
The Snow Leopard
These Days (R.E.M. Cover)

I didn't realize they don't usually play Basilisk, sweet, because it was one of my favorite parts of the show.

They don't play Black Eyes? That was by far my favorite song from Golden Archipelago.

Based on setlist.fm's stats (which aren't comprehensive), they've played it 13 times, the last time being in January of 2011. The most played song of theirs has been played at 37 shows.

Shearwater email update:

2013 is, as usual, going to be a busy year for Shearwater, though it probably won't see the kind of touring that kept us on the road for 200 shows and 40,000 miles in 2012. We're about to begin work on two new recording projects: the first is an album of songs by some of the other bands and artists we've toured with over the years; the second is the full-length follow-up to Animal Joy. Both will be released by Sub Pop (schedule TBA), and we'll post updates on the mailing list and on our (much more active) Facebook page as we get stuck into them. The records will feature contributions from familiar and new faces (including, of course, Kimberly and Thor), and we'll be recording them with Danny Reisch, who sat behind the board for Animal Joy, and behind the drums last year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom