Sharon Osbourne should be shot....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KUEFC09U2 said:
whose to say it isnt you thats moved on? there are plenty of "long time fans" who have called these shows the best they have seen from the band...maybe its you who should move on? rather than blame the band all the time for this "lack of electricity" as i felt alot of it at the manchester concert i was at

Perhaps I have moved on (which I don't think I have) but I am saying that there a inordinate number of circumstances that have coincided with this tour that have helped form my opinions and left many fans I know scratching their heads. As far as blaming the band "all the time" that is a exaggeration and an irresponsible one. I have been around a while with this band and there is definitely a (some would argue not so subtle) shift in what appears to be their priorities and way of operating. To ignore and say "well the show I went to was great", I feel is uninformed. Not to say that everyone that claims there is a difference is right on target...but there is a change. Good or bad, I will leave to be argued in another thread ad nauseum.

Regardless, I think it is fair to say that there is a convievable way that someone that doesn't exist in a U2-centric universe (like Sharon Osbourne) could come to the conclusion that this tour is boring. And saying they should be shot (understandably a metaphor - but a metaphor for completely disregarding her opinion and experience while virtually calling her a plum idiot) is a bit of an overstatement...and a knee jerk reaction that KEUF is making so famous.

And that is not a personal attack, just a pattern I have noticed.

Last edited:
cmb737 said:

That's all well and good. The setlist can be whatever it wants to be. My point, and I don't want to speak for Chizip, but feel he is arguing the same thing, is that I as a long time fan am not feeling the same thing from them now and recognizing actions that I didn't think I would see from them. Personally, I would rather U2 call it quits rather than rehash and imitate itself. Selling out a stadium, in my eyes, does not make you necessarily a critical success. The Rolling Stones play to sold out crowds everywhere in the world...but are boring.

Again, U2 is not boring...I love them...but their current tour (to me, based only on my personal opinion from the 5 shows I have seen) is not as electric as it could be. I don't feel they are above criticism. The argument of me seeing them too much doesn't hold any weight either, because I saw elevation 9 times and every single one was better than the last.

ONLY MY OPINIONS, and in relation to the original slant of this thread...there is a possible point of view that could find this tour boring and it is justifiable for Sharon to say so if she is feels that way.

Oh, I'm fine with Sharon's comment...and I appreciate dissenting opinions. I think that my point to Chizip is that his opinion is not the *majority* opinion...and this tour has been a critical and financial success, based on every scrap of media I've seen, and based on ticket sales. That is not to say that SOME fans are disappointed, disillusioned, bored or whatever. I'm actually interested in what fans don't like about the shows--especially given that they seem to be in the minority (when I'm leaving a venue I generally don't hear people saying they thought it was a crap performance).

You know, I originally thought Sharon's comment was that watching U2 was boring and like watching CNN because of the political nature of Bono's comments and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights bit...

answer me one question then, if you so conivinced you will go and be bored, why go at all? why not sell your tickets as i have said to someone who hasnt seen the band before and is desparate to do so?

KUEFC09U2 said:
answer me one question then, if you so conivinced you will go and be bored, why go at all? why not sell your tickets as i have said to someone who hasnt seen the band before and is desparate to do so?

I never said U2 was boring.

Pride is boring. That is to say there are moments of this tour that aren't captivating, which is a first for my wife and I who together have seen 49 combined shows. Every second of every other tour was breathtaking. To me and her.

Also, however, I did just sell my two SLC GA's because I am not really in traveling all that way for this show. Portland will be it for me.

Last edited:
cmb737 said:

I never said U2 was boring.

Pride is boring. That is to say there are moments of this tour that aren't captivating, which is a first for my wife and I who together have seen 49 combined shows. Every second of every other tour was breathtaking. To me and her.

Also, however, I did just sell my two SLC GA's because I am not really in traveling all that way for this show. Portland will be it for me.
ok then thats fine.... but one other point, you made the pre-sale mess out to be a "dissapointment" yet you still ended up with 7 pairs of tickets? what about the fans with none? as i said the fans that would love to just see the band LIVE at least once in their life? yet your saying you dont feel this tour is electrifying enough and you keep hold of 6 pairs? now that baffles me

Tickets aren't hard to get. They are expensive. Very different concept.

5 pairs of tickets are already used, mostly within the first 2 and a half weeks of the tour. All bought in anticipation of the tour. I expected it to be great...I bought a lot. Not that baffling. I can't really imagine that there are people that are dying to see this band JUST once in their lives as if it is their only goal in life..but just can't seem to succeed. There are thousands and thousands of tickets available right now for a couple hundred dollars. This is not like trying to be a fighter pilot, or play in the world cup.

In reference to the poster that asked if I have changed. I don't feel that I have for several reasons.

1. I highly anticipated this tour as demostrated as the amount of tickets I bought.

2. I love the new album...way more than the last.

Nothing has really happened in my life to change my perception.

i think cmb737 is my twin brother, i agree with everything you say

i agree that this album is much better than the last, and the songs live are amazing, which means it should be better than the elevation tour. but, for a variety of reasons, it just doesnt get there, so its a little disappointing.

My wife saw 26 Elevation shows. LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. Not a good theory.

oops, edit that to 27 Elevation shows.

Last edited:
HA HA HA HA HA KUEFC09U2!!!!!!

Denmark 4 - 1 England

The little one beats the big one!!!!!!

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Chizip said:
i think U2's biggest mistake for this tour was taking a hands off approach to the production of this tour. imo the tour has suffered from a lack of creativity, and that is probably a big reason why. i have to admit the whole "well it worked before, so lets do it again" approach to this tour has bugged me a bit, because its an attitude i'd never thought i'd see in U2. even the best part of the show production wise, the Fly, is just a rehash of something they did 10 years ago. i mean i loved seeing it because i never got to see zootv, but it was like they were saying well we cant think of something better so lets do what worked before. And also closing the set with the old 40 instead of something new and original? I dont know, it's like they are trying to be the old U2 and aren't doing it as well.

just my opinion of course :wink:

Let me ask you this, and it kind of ties in to the thread I did - if U2 did a tour where they totally reinvented themselves, a la ZooTV, where it was an entirely new production and never done before, but the setlist went virtually unchanged, do you think things would be different? Would it be a superior live show?

The reason I ask is because it seems like both the production and the setlists have been bothering you to an extent.

phanan said:

Let me ask you this, and it kind of ties in to the thread I did - if U2 did a tour where they totally reinvented themselves, a la ZooTV, where it was an entirely new production and never done before, but the setlist went virtually unchanged, do you think things would be different? Would it be a superior live show?

The reason I ask is because it seems like both the production and the setlists have been bothering you to an extent.

i think the show would be better, but still not at the top level. an amazing production can not make up for a lackluster setlist, because when it comes down to it, that's the reason you are there, for the songs.

as i see it, a good show consists of three things:

the musical performance
the production
and the crowd

if any of these three areas are lacking, it can bring the others down with it, and make for a subpar show.

i dont know if i really answered your question or not, but to address your final point, i am a little disappointed in both the production and the setlist, as they both could be better, and have been better in the past.

anyway, with all that said, i still have very much enjoyed the shows i have been to, and i will enjoy the last 2 shows i will be going to. it's just that this current tour hasnt blown me away as previous tours have done.

Chizip said:

i think the show would be better, but still not at the top level. an amazing production can not make up for a lackluster setlist, because when it comes down to it, that's the reason you are there, for the songs.

as i see it, a good show consists of three things:

the musical performance
the production
and the crowd

if any of these three areas are lacking, it can bring the others down with it, and make for a subpar show.

i dont know if i really answered your question or not, but to address your final point, i am a little disappointed in both the production and the setlist, as they both could be better, and have been better in the past.

anyway, with all that said, i still have very much enjoyed the shows i have been to, and i will enjoy the last 2 shows i will be going to. it's just that this current tour hasnt blown me away as previous tours have done.
but as has been said, the setlist is only lackluster in SOME people eyes, some people like me love the setlist and it really dosent bother me if it changed or didnt, i just need to know why people need so many tickets if they dont think the concerts are up to scratch, and chizip as i said to cmb whos to say its not down to the way YOUR feeling about the show? rather than blaming the band or the setlist all the time

just an opinion and thought

p.s. the european production is amazing, imo, and what i seen of the U.S. version it adds ALOT to what was an already succsessful elevation stage, but hey i dont think you will ever agree

U2Man said:
HA HA HA HA HA KUEFC09U2!!!!!!

Denmark 4 - 1 England

The little one beats the big one!!!!!!

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
were going to win the world cup didnt you know?

lol ye right

Chizip said:

I agree to an extent. ZooTV was an event in itself, and while the setlist was great, it hardly ever changed. We'd probably be complaining about it just as much if it happened now.

I bet the number of criticisms of this tour would be just as great if the setlist was, say, the Interference setlist, but hardly ever changed. I think in this day and age, a better variety of performances is needed to keep things fresh, and keep everyone surprised.

cmb737 said:
My wife saw 26 Elevation shows. LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. Not a good theory.

oops, edit that to 27 Elevation shows.
YES the elevation tour, not the vertigo tour, when you see something so often like you did for the last tour, then your bound to think of this tour as missing stuff the last tour had

KUEFC09U2 said:
were going to win the world cup didnt you know?

lol ye right

smilie_flagge14.gif

:wink:

KUEFC09U2 said:
YES the elevation tour, not the vertigo tour, when you see something so often like you did for the last tour, then your bound to think of this tour as missing stuff the last tour had

Or this is a lesser tour. Great, but lesser.

In an completely unscientific poll, I have close to 100 U2 fan friends between my wife and I. Almost completely down the line...this is the least favored tour of their last 3. These friends are of all different ages, social backgrounds and nationalities. Also completely down the line, the expectations were very high. Since nothing in me has changed, other than my appetite for the band has GROWN, I feel it is a more accurate assumption to say that this tour is not quite as good as the last one. That's all. And I can understand how someone who doesn't really care that much about U2 could find it boring and static. Nothing all that new or original (which has been U2's trademark) to really stand it out from the other performances of it's scale. I don't agree that it is boring, but I can understand that perspective.

As for me, I don't really have anything else to say about this...

I am, however, looking forward to my first Coldplay show next Wednesday. :wink:

yimou said:

what is it with you crazy Danes and your flag? they are everywhere! (sorry for derailing the thread from the argument at hand)

ruffian said:

what is it with you crazy Danes and your flag? they are everywhere! (sorry for derailing the thread from the argument at hand)

We just won a soccer game against England. 4-1. That could be regarded as historical :wink:

cmb737 said:

Or this is a lesser tour. Great, but lesser.

In an completely unscientific poll, I have close to 100 U2 fan friends between my wife and I. Almost completely down the line...this is the least favored tour of their last 3. These friends are of all different ages, social backgrounds and nationalities. Also completely down the line, the expectations were very high. Since nothing in me has changed, other than my appetite for the band has GROWN, I feel it is a more accurate assumption to say that this tour is not quite as good as the last one. That's all. And I can understand how someone who doesn't really care that much about U2 could find it boring and static. Nothing all that new or original (which has been U2's trademark) to really stand it out from the other performances of it's scale. I don't agree that it is boring, but I can understand that perspective.

As for me, I don't really have anything else to say about this...

I am, however, looking forward to my first Coldplay show next Wednesday. :wink:
but your trying to say its a lesser show for you and everybody else, when its not for me, who find it ALOT better than elevation and popmart

U2Man said:
We just won a soccer game against England. 4-1. That could be regarded as historical :wink:
England has a great competition but a weak national team (same goes for Spain and Italy)... Holland is the number 3 national team after Brazil and Argentina in the FIFA world ranking list... Played a 2-2 against Germany yesterday (should have won)

What an unbelievably stupid thread this is...sorry to come here so late but there were weddings, sailboats, champagne and panicattacks. I have some shocking news: a friend of mine called U2's show boring last week..He is no longer my friend of course, in fact we are thinking of drowning him for his blasphemy..

U2 is in a very poor state if they need defence from "hardcore"fans for a comment from Sharon Osborn...

What happened to the shoes, the horns, the glitter the glammer the attitude...it sounds like defending an old man who has been accused of being a hasbeen...(sounded good when I said it but...:wink:)

When God gave Irony to mankind he must have forgotten some people :wink:

zwervers2 said:
What an unbelievably stupid thread this is...sorry to come here so late but there were weddings, sailboats, champagne and panicattacks.

I hope you dont mean you had a panicattack again? :huh:

Back
Top Bottom