Sharon Osbourne should be shot....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont dislike Sharon - who's "wars" with Simon Cowell on the last series of X Factor were really funny and the only reason for actually watching the show. Of course, that was all set up for publicity, as has her comments about U2 been set up now. I don't give a damn what she says and other fans shouldn't either. I mean, did you hear Kelly Osbournes version of "Papa Dont Preach?" Sharon thought that was great! So, I dont think Sharon and myself's taste in music is all that similar so her comments don't matter at all to me!

Jo.

P.S I still think she is a laugh though!

she didn't critisize U2 or even U2's music.. Just the amount of politics in the Vertigo tour...

ramblin rose said:
Oh is that what she critisized. :huh:
Are you being sarcastic? If yes; Just wanted to set that straight.. If no; Yep..

Last edited:
Popmartijn said:

As I also said in that other thread about this subject:
:tsk:

And again, people with no knowledge about the music industry blast another person. *

Popmartijn - I am commenting Sharon the person, not Sharon the impressario, or Sharon the manager. It's my opinion AND was a light hearted way of trying to diffuse the arguements at that point. Y'know...not taking her seriously when she yaps???

I don't need to be in the industry to comment on someone in it, so mind your manners and don't act all high and mighty with me ok?

If your arguement had any validity, then the majority of people using this board have no right to be here, as most are not even remotely connected with the music industry.

That's laughable.

Last edited:
this is the first time that U2 has used 3 songs in a row to preach to an audience. those other things you mention KUEF were just a minute or two part of the show. but when you hit the African part of the set on this tour its basically 3 songs of hitting you over the head with their point. You get a speech at the end of Pride, you get a speech at the beginning of Streets, you also get African flags and Bono chanting Africa, then you get an even longer speech during One, all of this while Bono is wearing a shirt with Africa on it.

It is more preaching than they have ever done on tour before. Is it a good thing or a bad thing? Well that is up for people to decide. But I could see how some people would think it is over the top.

stevec said:

Popmartijn - I am commenting Sharon the person, not Sharon the impressario, or Sharon the manager. It's my opinion AND was a light hearted way of trying to diffuse the arguements at that point. Y'know...not taking her seriously when she yaps???

I don't need to be in the industry to comment on someone in it, so mind your manners and don't act all high and mighty with me ok?

OK, good to know that with the few skills you have in your life you do know a some things about the people you're talking about. :wink:

If your arguement had any validity, then the majority of people using this board have no right to be here, as most are not even remotely connected with the music industry.

That's laughable.

My argument had nothing to do with the right of people to be here. It was more that just because someone says something not-gushing about U2, people here immediately slaughter that person as a bitch/plastic surgeon puppet/brainless twat/etc. without probably knowing any achievements. Just because someones head is on TV doesn't mean that person can't do anything. If so, then Bono wouldn't even know how to breathe. :)

KUEFC09U2 said:
dont you will get shouted at for disagreeing with a bad thing thats said about U2

Case in point.

I think what most are having a hard time with (and in my opinion..no one is shouting you down, but using cohesive well formulated arguments) is every single critique mentioned in any thread, and you are immediately jumping up and down all over it. In my personal opinion again, (and I may be one of the people you are referring to) it often takes just as much of "being a fan" to see the things that you think are strange or poorly done and respond to them with a voice other than undying love and satisfaction for everything they have ever and will do.

U2, regardless of the quality of the show currently or how good Bono sounds, has done an immense amount of damage to their long time fan's view of them. Many of us have forgiven, but many of us are still, none the less, underwhelmed by their current incarnation. This, regardless of how you love them currently, is a perfectly normal and understandable perspective. They have, in their defense, set the bar amazingly high. But I am of the camp that wants them to improve and create something that wows me. Static U2, or U2 by numbers, (my opinions) don't interest me and I will and have found other bands that fill those needs. I still will see them 7 times this tour...but I have yet to feel once like I did at every one of the 9 shows on the Elevation tour.

I can admit, I have been bored at U2 shows this tour. Sad to say..but it is true. I have caught myself yawning. I also loved many many parts of it, but Pride bores the shit out of me live. Sorry.

cmb737 said:

U2, regardless of the quality of the show currently or how good Bono sounds, has done an immense amount of damage to their long time fan's view of them. Many of us have forgiven, but many of us are still, none the less, underwhelmed by their current incarnation.

I can admit, I have been bored at U2 shows this tour. Sad to say..but it is true. I have caught myself yawning. I also loved many many parts of it, but Pride bores the shit out of me live. Sorry.

You have a right to your opinion but saying they have done immense damage to long time fan's view is a HUGE stretch. What are you basing this on? A handful of critics that post mainly negative things on this board?? This board is not representative of a majority of the U2 fan base IMO. Also that is assuming most on this board even agree with your assessment. Which I would argue most here do not.

Regarding Pride, it gets a huge crowd reaction. I'm not sure what your point is, the setlist is what you think is lame? So you think U2 need to taylor the setlist to your liking, then the tour would not be a let down to long time fans views?

Popmartijn said:

OK, good to know that with the few skills you have in your life you do know a some things about the people you're talking about. :wink:

The FEW skills I have in my life? Who do you think you're talking to?

Popmartijn said:
just because someone says something not-gushing about U2, people here immediately slaughter that person as a bitch/plastic surgeon puppet/brainless twat/etc. without probably knowing any achievements.

I never called her any of those things. I never said she shouldn't have an opinion of U2. I said that she has an opinion and a right to one, but that I don't necessarily think she should be taken seriously or that it should be regarded as anything major. Let her take her shot, she's not the first and won't be the last.

If she was serious then I disagree, because I enjoyed the show I went to and didn't find it boring, If she was not being serious, then all it was (as I said) was a little theatre on her behalf. I was one of the people in here TRYING to make light of it. I mean, come one, is her opinion really going to be so earth-shattering?

Regarding your arguement about my comments: I do not require a knowledge of the music industry to say anything in here, nor should you expect that someone should.

Blue Room said:

You have a right to your opinion but saying they have done immense damage to long time fan's view is a HUGE stretch. What are you basing this on? A handful of critics that post mainly negative things on this board?? This board is not representative of a majority of the U2 fan base IMO. Also that is assuming most on this board even agree with your assessment. Which I would argue most here do not.

Regarding Pride, it gets a huge crowd reaction. I'm not sure what your point is, the setlist is what you think is lame? So you think U2 need to taylor the setlist to your liking, then the tour would not be a let down to long time fans views?

Possible damage to U2 long time fans perception of band:

1. Pre-sale mess
2. Lack of information regarding tour
3. U2.com mess
4. GA lottery unannounced until the morning of the tour opener (I was there with the over 400 people that waited in vain)
5. Ipod and the need to reach popkids.
6. Missing that U2 intangibility in their current tour incarnation
7. Overbearing preachiness and perceived malaise towards their die-hards.
8. Yahweh :wink:

THESE ARE ALL OPINIONS AND NOT FACTS.

I am not saying these are my opinions (certainly some of them are, especially the presale and lottery ones) but I am just pointing out some of the most obvious things that has hurt U2 in the eyes of their longtime fans or perhaps this longtime fan. Like I said, most (and I) have forgiven.

My point about Pride is that it's boring. I don't care about the setlist in particular, I care about being entertained. Pride bores me, and that's all I am saying. Unfortunately if the list of yawn moments continues to grow for me, my interest will wane. I doubt it will, but my point is that I can understand Sharon's p.o.v. in that I find parts of U2's current show boring. If I weren't a die hard, I think the whole Electric Co., An Cat Dubh, Into the Heart bit would be pretty much the most boring thing I have ever seen. They never bored me before, that's all. I am sure Sharon isn't alone in her opinion. There are millions out there that hate u2.

IN CONCLUSION:

I STILL LOVE U2, but have yawned at their show.

Last edited:
cmb737 said:

1. Pre-sale mess
3. U2.com mess
4. GA lottery unannounced until the morning of the tour opener (I was there with the over 400 people that waited in vain)

I am not saying these are my opinions (certainly some of them are, especially the presale and lottery ones) but I am just pointing out some of the most obvious things that has hurt U2 in the eyes of their longtime fans or perhaps this longtime fan. Like I said, most (and I) have forgiven.

My point about Pride is that it's boring. I don't care about the setlist in particular, I care about being entertained. Pride bores me, and that's all I am saying. Unfortunately if the list of yawn moments continues to grow for me, my interest will wane. I doubt it will, but my point is that I can understand Sharon's p.o.v. in that I find parts of U2's current show boring. If I weren't a die hard, I think the whole Electric Co., An Cat Dubh, Into the Heart bit would be pretty much the most boring thing I have ever seen. They never bored me before, that's all. I am sure Sharon isn't alone in her opinion. There are millions out there that hate u2.

IN CONCLUSION:

well if your so down on this tour then why go? i could easily sell on your ticket to someone who would LOVE to be there, rather than someone that pretty much thinks they will be bored

all imo of course

cmb737 said:

1. Pre-sale mess
3. U2.com mess

IN CONCLUSION:

and you quoting electric co etc, isnt that what everyone seems to want on these board? rare songs? yet when U2 decide to do some old songs we get comments like you just gave, they are really in a no win situation

cmb737 said:

1. Pre-sale mess
3. U2.com mess

My point about Pride is that it's boring. I don't care about the setlist in particular, I care about being entertained. Pride bores me, and that's all I am saying. Unfortunately if the list of yawn moments continues to grow for me, my interest will wane. I doubt it will, but my point is that I can understand Sharon's p.o.v. in that I find parts of U2's current show boring. They never bored me before, that's all.

Out of that list, the first 3 are the only ones that would have any merit as far as your original point (and I think those 3 really are just 1 thing as they are tied together). Even if those were true they were forgiven as you indicated as shows put on sale AFTER that still soldout. The rest is just your complete personal opinion. Which is fine, but your original post made it look like the show itself is doing immense damage to the long time U2 fanbase. There is simply nothing to support that IMO.

I could go through and knock off the rest of your list that would show just the opposite. But it would be saying the same thing most already know, especially regarding particular songs. So I wont. I understand your opinion, and you have a right to it. But those particular parts I pointed out were huge blanket statements that I really dont think apply.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

:applaud: Great posts!

U2girl said:

:applaud: Great posts!
nooooo U2girl please dont agree with someone that is sticking up for the band, the fact is this tour obviosuly sucks, U2 are on a downhill slide bla bla

i think U2's biggest mistake for this tour was taking a hands off approach to the production of this tour. imo the tour has suffered from a lack of creativity, and that is probably a big reason why. i have to admit the whole "well it worked before, so lets do it again" approach to this tour has bugged me a bit, because its an attitude i'd never thought i'd see in U2. even the best part of the show production wise, the Fly, is just a rehash of something they did 10 years ago. i mean i loved seeing it because i never got to see zootv, but it was like they were saying well we cant think of something better so lets do what worked before. And also closing the set with the old 40 instead of something new and original? I dont know, it's like they are trying to be the old U2 and aren't doing it as well.

just my opinion of course :wink:

Chizip said:
i think U2's biggest mistake for this tour was taking a hands off approach to the production of this tour. imo the tour has suffered from a lack of creativity, and that is probably a big reason why. i have to admit the whole "well it worked before, so lets do it again" approach to this tour has bugged me a bit, because its an attitude i'd never thought i'd see in U2. even the best part of the show production wise, the Fly, is just a rehash of something they did 10 years ago. i mean i loved seeing it because i never got to see zootv, but it was like they were saying well we cant think of something better so lets do what worked before. And also closing the set with the old 40 instead of something new and original? I dont know, it's like they are trying to be the old U2 and aren't doing it as well.

i seem to remember before the tour began, people making suggestions about presentation, and i remember people saying how they wish they would bring the words back for the fly, etc

Chizip said:

this criticism seems to stand in contrast to your complaints that they don't play enough from the back catalogue...so which is it? They've ended with Vertigo, they've ended with Yahweh, they've ended with 40...doesn't that constitute some variation?

And it does seem that the band are flourishing in terms of selling out every venue within minutes. The media have lauded all the shows, reviews from fans are glowing. What objective measures point to the fact that this tour is a failure or disappointment?

ruffian said:

this criticism seems to stand in contrast to your complaints that they don't play enough from the back catalogue...so which is it? They've ended with Vertigo, they've ended with Yahweh, they've ended with 40...doesn't that constitute some variation?

actually this criticism was more of a production issue than a setlist issue.

ruffian said:

What objective measures point to the fact that this tour is a failure or disappointment?

Sharon Osbourne said it was boring

ruffian said:

And it does seem that the band are flourishing in terms of selling out every venue within minutes. The media have lauded all the shows, reviews from fans are glowing. What objective measures point to the fact that this tour is a failure or disappointment?

That's all well and good. The setlist can be whatever it wants to be. My point, and I don't want to speak for Chizip, but feel he is arguing the same thing, is that I as a long time fan am not feeling the same thing from them now and recognizing actions that I didn't think I would see from them. Personally, I would rather U2 call it quits rather than rehash and imitate itself. Selling out a stadium, in my eyes, does not make you necessarily a critical success. The Rolling Stones play to sold out crowds everywhere in the world...but are boring.

Again, U2 is not boring...I love them...but their current tour (to me, based only on my personal opinion from the 5 shows I have seen) is not as electric as it could be. I don't feel they are above criticism. The argument of me seeing them too much doesn't hold any weight either, because I saw elevation 9 times and every single one was better than the last.

ONLY MY OPINIONS, and in relation to the original slant of this thread...there is a possible point of view that could find this tour boring and it is justifiable for Sharon to say so if she is feels that way.

cmb737 said:

That's all well and good. The setlist can be whatever it wants to be. My point, and I don't want to speak for Chizip, but feel he is arguing the same thing, is that I as a long time fan am not feeling the same thing from them now and recognizing actions that I didn't think I would see from them. Personally, I would rather U2 call it quits rather than rehash and imitate itself. Selling out a stadium, in my eyes, does not make you necessarily a critical success. The Rolling Stones play to sold out crowds everywhere in the world...but are boring.

Again, U2 is not boring...I love them...but their current tour (to me, based only on my personal opinion from the 5 shows I have seen) is not as electric as it could be. I don't feel they are above criticism. The argument of me seeing them too much doesn't hold any weight either, because I saw elevation 9 times and every single one was better than the last.

ONLY MY OPINIONS, and in relation to the original slant of this thread...there is a possible point of view that could find this tour boring and it is justifiable for Sharon to say so if she is feels that way.
whose to say it isnt you thats moved on? there are plenty of "long time fans" who have called these shows the best they have seen from the band...maybe its you who should move on? rather than blame the band all the time for this "lack of electricity" as i felt alot of it at the manchester concert i was at

Well I read this entire thread and no, I don't think anyone needs to be shot for saying something negative about U2.

xaviMF22 said:
Well I read this entire thread and no, I don't think anyone needs to be shot for saying something negative about U2.
well if you have read the thread you will have seen its a figure of speech, as i dont agree with the comments she made, and they certainly shouldnt come from her

Back
Top Bottom