Setlist Speculation / Hopes / Desires / Fantasies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, the flaw of the JT30 tour was that the Joshua Tree track listing isn't ideal for a live concert, so playing the 11 JT songs but in a different order would've been the wiser move. Fortunately for U2, they have plenty of experience in playing basically all of the Achtung Baby songs in an ideal "out of order" sequence from the original ZooTV tour.

I expect the main set to be the 12 AB songs, Stay is absolutely appearing in probably every show, and there's a chance one or two of HMTMKMKM/Dirty Day might pop up....maybe there's a rotating spot in the setlist. Like how the JT30 setlist built to the Joshua Tree songs, I could see the concert opening with something like Discotheque/Desire/All I Want Is You, with the leadout of AIWIY becoming a Bono speech about "dreaming it all up again," and then the Zoo Station riff starts.

So the first portion of the show is all ZooTV, then the second part or extended encore is Vertigo/Beautiful Day/WOWY/Streets/Pride and one or two of the other big signature songs.

Last edited:
Bono did mention he'd like to play Mofo again in that long Q interview as a "blues song", which is something they did kind of attempt to do during those Vertigo Tour soundchecks.

Around 23:00:

I've got my new movie idea -- Oceans 11 meets U2 Sphere concert meets 80 For Brady -- A fat guy and his 3 friends lose their tickets and have to break in to the U2 show by tunneling underneath the venue.

SPHERE SPREE

I've got my new movie idea -- Oceans 11 meets U2 Sphere concert meets 80 For Brady -- A fat guy and his 3 friends lose their tickets and have to break in to the U2 show by tunneling underneath the venue.

SPHERE SPREE

Hairy for Larry

Hairy for Larry

Of course, Larry is the Will Ferrell in Wedding Crashers cameo we need to spice up the later half of the film -- it appears Larry is being held prisoner by the evil drummer who has been the one controlling the narrative that Larry wanted out of the band and that he need surgery...

So of course they save the day, free Larry, get to meet the band, get free tickets, but then the ending is they complain they are in near the overhang...

SPHERE SPREE

Shut up and take my money! :hyper:

Bono did mention he'd like to play Mofo again in that long Q interview as a "blues song", which is something they did kind of attempt to do during those Vertigo Tour soundchecks.

Around 23:00:

unfortunately if you keep listening for the next minute he says ATYCLB is their best collection of songs. sigh.

Shall we restart the campaign?

Attachments

• 6C9A86EA-03AB-4F1B-9CA1-405757730B07.jpg
    6C9A86EA-03AB-4F1B-9CA1-405757730B07.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 16
They’ve dropped Pride and WOWY before and played zero JT songs on E&I, but think Elevation is almost a guarantee if the stage moves as seen in the sketches but think Discotheque would be better in that spot. Streets and ISHFWILF are definite. I wouldn’t mind them giving BD a rest or going with the SOS version.

Also, fuck the casuals.

Yeah, fuck the casuals isn't happening as long as they're opening ground breaking venues and doing massive world tours in arenas and stadiums. Just reality.

As you're aware, Pride and WOWY got dropped for legs of tours at best prior to the latter getting dropped with the rest of JT for all of E&I. I heard plenty of criticism from people and publications who expected more of the big signature songs. That tour was basically a companion piece to I&E and wasn't going for anywhere near the same kind of coverage as they're seeking for these shows. Of course, even E&I had Pride as a central piece/intended showstopper. BD had its prominent spot up front.

I'm fine with Pride and WOWY taking time off or being rotated, but seeing every tour since Vertigo and especially attending 5 I&E shows, the E&I shows were not enhanced in any way by the JT ban. To the contrary. I never thought "Oh, I'm so glad Streets and Bullet are sitting out because they're playing Get out of your own way." Or doing that half assed re-run of the SOI songs. E&I could've actually used Streets as a staple then a rotating slot- In God's Country, Running, One Tree Hill- to throw the people who missed JT 30 a bone. 2 songs. Nothing crazy. And definitely resting Stil haven't found and WOWY.

Either way......I'd bet good money Pride, WOWY, BD, Elevation and Vertigo make every single show. If something sits out, it will likely be Elevation, even though as you said, it fits the venue best.

Last edited:
If I was in charge of the setlist, I’d open with the Blackout. I reckon they could really get the place pulsing and do some cool effects with the lights in the room:

1 The Blackout
2 All Along the Watchtower
3 BTBS (Zootv Style)
4 RTSS (Zootv Style)
5 Streets
6 AIWIY (dreaming it up again speech)

7 Zoo Station
8 The Fly
9 EBTTRT
10 Mysterious Ways
11 One
12 UTEOTW
13 New Year’s Day
14 Stay
15 Wild Horses
16 So Cruel
17 Acrobat
18 TTTYAATW
19 Ultraviolet
20 Love Is Blindness

21 Discotheque
22 HMTMKMKM
23 Beautiful Day

24 WOWY
25 Bad
26 I Will Follow

What’s missing?

I know The Blackout would be a controversial opener, but I think it suits the room and the vibe, and it is one of the better live tracks of the last few years.

If I was in charge of the setlist, I’d open with the Blackout. I reckon they could really get the place pulsing and do some cool effects with the lights in the room:

1 The Blackout
2 All Along the Watchtower
3 BTBS (Zootv Style)
4 RTSS (Zootv Style)
5 Streets
6 AIWIY/Bad (dreaming it up again speech)

7 Zoo Station
8 The Fly
9 EBTTRT
10 Mysterious Ways
11 One
12 UTEOTW
13 New Year’s Day/Pride
14 Stay
15 Wild Horses
16 So Cruel
17 Acrobat
18 TTTYAATW
19 Ultraviolet
20 Love Is Blindness

21 Discotheque/MoFo
22 HMTMKMKM/Lemon
23 Beautiful Day/COBL

24 WOWY
25 Bad/Little Things
26 I Will Follow/OOC/11 O’clock

What’s missing?

I know The Blackout would be a controversial opener, but I think it suits the room and the vibe, and it is one of the better live tracks of the last few years.

I quoted to add some potential rotations.

Last edited:
I'm fine with Pride and WOWY taking time off or being rotated, but seeing every tour since Vertigo and especially attending 5 I&E shows, the E&I shows were not enhanced in any way by the JT ban.

Oh I agree, my point was that it isn’t without some precedent. And this is a short run. Honestly think BD is tired as hell and if they SOS it, I won’t mind. (They’ll never drop it). Felt that way about Pride for a bit and once they dropped it, its return was nice.

JT30 aside, when’s the last time they played Bad every show? Big songs can be made more special by not being played to death. Streets every time, though, yes.

Last edited:
How do you NOT start with ZOO STATION????

So many choices, but if this is AB tour, and it's my favorite opening track ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom