Set list party : BOK Center, Tulsa; May 2, 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I’ve watched all the songs on vid now and looks to be a great first night and to me they are already looking very polished. Perhaps since it has only been 6 months instead of 3, 4, 5 years between tours!!

2 tours in previous 3 years should play in somewhat. They'll be well dialed in by NY.

It's an abomination that they did not play Streets.

Thats like Kiss not playing Rock and Roll all Night.
Like Guns n Roses not playing Welcome to the Jungle.
Like the Stones not playing Satisfaction.
Like The Who not Playing Won't Get Fooled Again.
Like Zeppelin not playing Stairway.

ABSOLUTELY SACRILEGIOUS.

Before: They need to play 20+ new songs over two hours! They need to let go of the warhorses and play more rarities! Play something off Pop! Play Acrobat! Feature the new stuff! Something something Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Springsteen, etc.

*band plays or airs 26+ songs, no Joshua Tree songs, finally plays Acrobat, pulls out Staring at the Sun and Wild Horses, plays seven songs live off the new album*

After: They played too many newer songs! HOW DARE THEY NOT PLAY STREETS!!! Discotheque should be played instead of Staring at the Sun! Acrobat fell flat! Nobody cares about (lesser played song that was played)!!!

Ah, music message boards… where it’s always going to be something.

It's an abomination that they did not play Streets.

Thats like Kiss not playing Rock and Roll all Night.
Like Guns n Roses not playing Welcome to the Jungle.
Like the Stones not playing Satisfaction.
Like The Who not Playing Won't Get Fooled Again.
Like Zeppelin not playing Stairway.

ABSOLUTELY SACRILEGIOUS.
That's ridiculous

And teenage bono playing guitar in his bedroom had a ‘Kraftwerk’ poster on the wall?
Really? I certainly could be wrong but I very much doubt that was a reality. It’s smacks of trying too hard to be ‘cool.’

err kraftwerk were pretty huge back then - we all used to dance to The Model at school discos in the late 70s or early 80s :lol:

I actually have no feelings about them not playing Streets. IMO, it’s overdue for a rest. I also agree that ISHFWILF and WOWY deserve a rest. The fact is that BD, Vertigo, COBL and Elevation go over big with the crowds. These days, they seem to go over better than the classics. I will save my judgements for when I see the show in Chicago. But from what I’m hearing, it sounds like it was a great show.

I'm exciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiited for San Jose!

So pumped for you!!!

Regarding Streets not being played.... I'm not so torn up about it as much as I thought I would be... It's actually a bit of a bold move that somehow worked!

It's my all-time favorite song of theirs (and in general), but I think I'm okay with it after some initial hedging.

I'd be bummed if it were my first time seeing U2, but .... oh well. You're never going to get everything you want from a band who's had 30+ years of material.

Curious to see what they do with the two San Jose shows. I’ll get a cheap ticket for LA2 if they switch things up on night 2 just a bit (4-5 different songs is fine by me).

Was acrobat played with a sync to the screen? Is it part of the show that they will play it every night? I spoiled myself with the set list so I’m trying to avoid at least watching songs from concerts.

I know it had that little MacPhisto intro, and while I haven't listened to it, I would suspect that the Macphisto bit could be placed with another similar-era song, so will be curious to say if they do it both nights in a two-night stand.

I know it had that little MacPhisto intro, and while I haven't listened to it, I would suspect that the Macphisto bit could be placed with another similar-era song, so will be curious to say if they do it both nights in a two-night stand.

I suspect it will rotate with The Showman

(I don't think we need spoilers in here, especially for speculation.)

But I'd be cool with that - MacPhisto could do something fun with it.

From videos and reviews it seems like it was a solid show! However, why is Bono doing lip-sync on Love Is All We Have Left? It shouldn't be a particularly difficult song to sing; don't know if it has to do with the vocoder part, but if that's really a problem they could do playback on that part and then Bono sings all the rest.

There's always a moment on every tour that is abit cringey. My wife picks up on it more then most , basically if I thing its abit cringey she will magnify it 1 million percent :)

360 it was the laser jacket and the way Bono swung on the microphone
:tsk: the laser jacket was awesome! And the swing was fun.
:D
I completely forgot the Aung San Suu Kyi masks on the 360 tour that was another cringe moment , how did I forget that :)

:lol::lol:
yeah, really! That was awful!

yes U2gigs.com does not state that B is lip syncing, when he clearly is. and Axver's initial review said that B was on piano, he obviously was not. looks like that might have now been corrected.

Before: They need to play 20+ new songs over two hours! They need to let go of the warhorses and play more rarities! Play something off Pop! Play Acrobat! Feature the new stuff! Something something Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Springsteen, etc.

*band plays or airs 26+ songs, no Joshua Tree songs, finally plays Acrobat, pulls out Staring at the Sun and Wild Horses, plays seven songs live off the new album*

After: They played too many newer songs! HOW DARE THEY NOT PLAY STREETS!!! Discotheque should be played instead of Staring at the Sun! Acrobat fell flat! Nobody cares about (lesser played song that was played)!!!

Ah, music message boards… where it’s always going to be something.

:lol: :lol:
Yeah, really! Well said.
I'm exciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiited for San Jose!

Wonderful! Have a great time!

Maybe I'll pick one Cali show to stream outside (no home wifi) being it'll be starting around ?11:30ish pm east coast. we'll see.

:hyper:
Just heard full Acrobat! Sooo scorching! Take a bow, Edge!

Also just yt'd LOH very good but not quite up at top-notch. Maybe because mAdam didn't play the Bass of Doom on second verse. (first version)
OTOH- The Blackout was fantastic!!!

I think this show is catered for the more hardcore fans, and the JT tour was for the more casual fans. It felt like a high five for those of us who have been around for a while; I didn’t miss the JT songs and didn’t even think about them last night. People had a lot of chances to hear the whole album last year, and giving it a break is better than expecting them to play something they’re burned out on.

There was so much else to be excited about! I heard a Pop song live! And The Ocean! And Edge must have blisters, because he played that Acrobat solo like he was trying to start a fire! :combust:

- I liked Bono’s hat and was glad to see that he took his glasses off for a while.
- They managed to make Elevation interesting again.
- Edge and Adam appeared in the crowd during Pride, which was pretty cool. I’m not even sure what they were standing on.
- I need to see that animated HMTMKMKM video again! That was unexpectedly amazing (from what I could see with my neck bent all the way back).

Minor complaints:
- The acoustic Best Thing was pretty dull, and was the most low-key part of the whole night.
- The MacPhisto speech went on too long and people seemed a little uncomfortable (that’s probably the whole idea, but still).
- I was disappointed in the way they did The Blackout; the band was inside the screen and it was visually uninteresting. But I had a rail and couldn’t see the screen very well, so maybe I just didn’t have a good perspective. I had imagined the whole place being in total darkness or something more dramatic like that. Oh well.

- I was disappointed in the way they did The Blackout; the band was inside the screen and it was visually uninteresting. But I had a rail and couldn’t see the screen very well, so maybe I just didn’t have a good perspective. I had imagined the whole place being in total darkness or something more dramatic like that. Oh well.

I can see how this wouldn't be great from a rail perspective. Check out a few videos on youtube and I bet you'll feel different. Personally, I think it's a pretty epic rendition of the song, especially the visuals.

Just adding my name to the list of people who thought Acrobat was incredible. After all the hype, I didn't think there was a chance that the live performance could live up to peoples' expectations but I was wrong - it was a scorcher. I *really* hope they do this one every night.

Back
Top Bottom