September 20, 21 - Gillette Stadium - Foxboro, MA-who's in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
daygloeyes, did you look under southwest.com? They are usually the cheapest bet out of providence, but you won't find them on expedia, etc.

Transportation to Gillette

Hey there,
For those who do not drive, like myself, I wanted to start a thread to discuss potential ways to get to Gillette.

In the past, Gillette has run commuter rails to concerts which is a great way to travel but recently they have cut the commuter rail service for events other than the Patriots.The MBTA is practically bankrupt right now so that might not help our case.

I know for Bruce they said that if enough people call or write they would consider running a commuter rail so I figure that if we have five months maybe we can get enough people to contact both Gillette and the MBTA.

Other than the MBTA Commuter Rail, perhaps some of us could look into renting buses? I remember in college we got a partybus for 30 people and it was $25 per person for five hours--it works out to be about $5 per hour per person through bostonpartytours.com

Thoughts, ideas? Some people may be miles ahead of me on this one.

i believe southwest will also be flying in/out of Logan by September, but i should have mentioned that the cheap flights to PVD are southwest airlines
good luck

i going now for the first time to Boston....thx to my good U2 friend Patrik...

11-07-2009 Paris (GA)
12-07-2009 Parijs (seats)
21-07-2009 Amsterdam (seats)
03-08-2009 Gelsenkirchen (GA)
14-08-2009 London (GA)
20-09-2009 Boston MA (GA)
21-09-2009 Boston MA (seats)
24-09-2009 East Rutherford NJ (seats)

I've been looking at flights from Providence to Vegas and Providence to Chicago. Maybe it's the destinations I was picking, but it was at least $100 more to fly out of there than Logan.

Try Southwest. They may have a cheaper rate for those dates. Only problem is they don't have their 9/18 schedule out yet. Should be out next week according to their website. Also cars are about $20 cheaper to rent out of PVD (and traffic is much less out of PVD than trying to maneuver around Boston). I already have my car booked...just waiting for the Southwest schedule to come out :)

jetBlue is a great option for BOS. It's a focus city of them. Don't use US Airways, they are a total rip off. Same with American. (I worked for the airlines until recently). AirTran is bad, but okay at the same time. PVD, Hartford, Worcester, MHT, all options too. But, Southwest is probably best, but you won't be able to book until June

SMB

I didn't take that into concideration ha. A lotta great people work for US Airways, they just suck (rampers). jetBlue is #1

SMB

jetBlue is a great option for BOS. It's a focus city of them. Don't use US Airways, they are a total rip off. Same with American. (I worked for the airlines until recently). AirTran is bad, but okay at the same time. PVD, Hartford, Worcester, MHT, all options too. But, Southwest is probably best, but you won't be able to book until June

SMB

Worcester is an option? I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Check and see if anybody flies out of Worcester. :wink:

Hey there,
For those who do not drive, like myself, I wanted to start a thread to discuss potential ways to get to Gillette.

In the past, Gillette has run commuter rails to concerts which is a great way to travel but recently they have cut the commuter rail service for events other than the Patriots.The MBTA is practically bankrupt right now so that might not help our case.

I know for Bruce they said that if enough people call or write they would consider running a commuter rail so I figure that if we have five months maybe we can get enough people to contact both Gillette and the MBTA.

Other than the MBTA Commuter Rail, perhaps some of us could look into renting buses? I remember in college we got a partybus for 30 people and it was $25 per person for five hours--it works out to be about $5 per hour per person through bostonpartytours.com

Thoughts, ideas? Some people may be miles ahead of me on this one.

You hit on an important point here. Dont know if you saw the Globe this past Friday, but Commuter Rail Service after 7PM and on weekends is on the chopping block entirely. How much of this is actually imminent vs how much is scare tactics to support increased fares or other revenue sources(that is probably needed, in my opinion, but you get the idea). Anyone's guess, really.

Do not take this as coming from someone miles ahead on this, I am just going on some past experience. 2 sold out U2 shows at the Stadium will 99% sure be enough to get them to extend the Commuter rail service to whatever days/hours are necessary. The last thing any public policy person, since the drunk driving campaign and the environmental concerns arose, wants to do is promote driving over public transportation. Every official in the state will probably be doing the same thing they do for the Red Sox parades or for NBA finals games- advertise and promote the hell out of public transportation. Not making it available after this would be a PR nightmare, so count on the Commuter Rail being in full service for the U2 Gillete dates!

Thanks

Thanks to Guinness Stout and everyone who responded with advice! :applaud:

Unfortunately, Providence was more expensive than Logan, but I got a good deal on a BOS flight and got a seat for night 2. I'll be looking to pick up a GA for night 1.

See some of you guys in the GA line, hopefully! :rockon:

just saw the Patriots are playing @ the Jets at 1pm on the 20th, so the tailgating will include watching the game
any of you out of towner not lining up all day are welcome to hang with us, i think i have about 20 people tailgating so far
i have red zone for night 2, so im not going to sit in line all day, ill take my chances with the ga lottery- id rather tailgate and hang with my friends all day

My fiancee and older brother both have season tickets for the Eagles and they have all the tailgating stuff. I'm going to bring some of it for the GA line.

just saw the Patriots are playing @ the Jets at 1pm on the 20th, so the tailgating will include watching the game
any of you out of towner not lining up all day are welcome to hang with us, i think i have about 20 people tailgating so far
i have red zone for night 2, so im not going to sit in line all day, ill take my chances with the ga lottery- id rather tailgate and hang with my friends all day

Sounds like fun---although we are Jets fans:ohmy:

As soon as that Jets game gets over in ER, I'm sure the local crews are gonna rush right into Giants Stadium and start taping out the area. They'll probably start the ER stage build within hours of the game

SMB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom