September 16, 17, Rogers Centre, Toronto Canada - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came back from the 1st show, it was amazing, loved the stage but din't impress me, it's huge but useless, not that I was expecting "the claw" to walk,lol, audience didn't get into the concert until after 5 songs (Beautiful Day) People in the pit were quiet, they lacked the energy of Vertigo and Elevation, the new album seemed to be unkown to most of the audience.
Sound was perfect with the dome open.
Hope to have a better experience un the pit tomorrow, will be lining up at 10 or so!
I'll be the one with the AC/DC horns!

ok reached dome at 5 after work gate 15 back of the line the gate didnt open till about 5:30pm once in i made it into the inside circle edge's side 2nd row from the back rail with my hand resting on the rail from time to time. i dont see any point in lining up early unless you have a specific palce in the rail you want to be at.
Great show the boys were really on form smiling lots of interaction from the band with the GA crowd especially from Bono, Adam and Larry.
Edge seems a bit quite to me at least.
I Hope todays corwd is a bit more enthiuiastic

The bloody mask thing has got to stop its ridic

OK where is the party at Tonight Fionn Mcccols or at overdraught.

From Yesterdays expericne its takes quite a bit to get out of the rogers centre. Fioons is opposite the stadium but both palces were packed.

I will be in line form 3 onwards or even later i dont think it makes sens to go in early though some people were in line from the show and went back in line after the show again, yeah thats hardcore.

I did find the audience quiet and I know to expect that of Toronto but it seemed much worse than normal...

Honestly, it was the front of the pit that was really, really DEAD. Apart from a few patches of people, they were all just kinda lounging and taking photos most of the time, not a lot of movement, etc. Not sure if that's a function of people not having slept, etc, but it wasn't like that on previous tours in TO...

I can't complain about my immediate area, the people were pretty into it.

But I think the issue is also too many songs off the new album played in succession right off the bat, they need to break that up if they want a better response from casual fans.

Overall, I loved it though.

Honestly, it was the front of the pit that was really, really DEAD. Apart from a few patches of people, they were all just kinda lounging and taking photos most of the time, not a lot of movement, etc. Not sure if that's a function of people not having slept, etc, but it wasn't like that on previous tours in TO...

I can't complain about my immediate area, the people were pretty into it.

But I think the issue is also too many songs off the new album played in succession right off the bat, they need to break that up if they want a better response from casual fans.

Overall, I loved it though.

See this comes from needless queueing. I came at 5:00 pm and still made the circle

Toronto Sun review from last night show:
U2 under the stars | Music | Entertainment | Toronto Sun
Well, it wasn't under a blood red sky, but at least you could see the clouds before the sun set.

Not to mention the sight of the CN Tower nearby.

U2's 360 Degree Tour pulled into Rogers Centre last night to begin a sold-out, two-night stand at the venue with the roof open for a concert for only the second time in the stadium's history.

The only other time was six years ago for Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

And the open air atmosphere made it still feel like summer in the city in mid-September, even if it got slightly chillier as the evening progressed.

The Irish rockers kicked off their two-hour set with Breathe, from their latest album, No Line on the Horizon.

"Walk out on a Toronto street," frontman Bono improvised into the song's lyrics to the delight of the crowd of 58,000.

"We got old songs, we got new songs, we got songs we can barely play, we got a spaceship," he said, the latter a reference to the real star of the show.

That would be a 150-foot-tall, mammoth spaceship-like stage and a 54-tonne state-of-the-art cylindrical video screen that eventually came apart and formed a long cone around the band later in the show during The Unforgettable Fire and City of Blinding Lights.

The group played up the futuristic bent blasting David Bowie's Space Oddity before they came out on stage, and later connected with an astronaut at the international space station in a pre-taped segment during the Passengers rarity Your Blue Room.

There was also a circular catwalk around the perimenter of the band and the musicians took a moving bridge across to get closer to the audience with Bono doing a major lap during Until the End of the World. (Not like he usually does during Where the Streets Have No Name, which was still a standout song last night.)

U2 have actually been in town since Sunday night after kicking off the North American leg on their tour on Sept. 12 in Chicago at Soldier Field and have been making the scene at TIFF, with Bono and guitarist The Edge appearing on the red carpet Monday night for Neil Jordan's Ondine starring Colin Farrell.

Bono and The Edge even taped an appearance at the Masonic Temple on Tuesday for a special edition of Elvis Costello's interview-and-performance show, Spectacle, and Costello was in last night's audience.

Having launched the 360 Degree Tour on June 30 in Barcelona, the biggest rock show of the year is, by now, a well-oiled machine even if it did take about a half-hour into the set to really ignite the crowd.

After four songs from No Line on the Horizon, which hasn't produced any real significant hits, they finally offered up the first crowdpleaser of the night, Beautiful Day, as Bono threw in more local references like the TTC and Yonge Street, and finished the song off with a snippet of Costello's Alison.

"It's our first night in this majestic half-continent that you call a country -- Canada," said Bono as he began lengthy and funny band introductions.

"Without Edge none of us would be here," he said of the guitarist. "But in our defence, without us, Edge would still be in his bedroom twiddling knobs."

But the best line came for bassist Adam Clayton: "The effortlessly stylish, citizen of the world, and sexual predator, the only man in U2 who uses face cream."

As for himself, Bono said: "I come from a long line of travelling salespeople on my mother's side, still on the road and these three men are the reason why, and the chance of what might happen here tonight."

Like when drummer Larry Mullen Jr. picked up the hand drum and did a lap around the catwalk during the new song, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, or the volunteers who wore masks of the face of Burma's democratically elected leader who has been under house arrest since 1990 during Walk On.

Bono also played with a lit-up, oversized dangling microphone during the second encore songs, Ultra Violet (Light My Way) and With Or Without You, while wearing a lit up jacket.

JANE.STEVENSON@SUNMEDIA.CA

hi guys! i finally woke up from a great night in TO. I was the guy in the Zoo York hoodie if anyone saw me, sorry i didn't say hi.

I got into line at 3pm, number 621 in queue and deliberately looked for outside rail by adam's side and planted my feet there. a great spot imho. I came with 2 cousins, both have never been to a U2 concert and were blown away. Sound there was perfect.

I found the lighting in rogers centre to be marvelous, seeing the warm lights emitting from the 300 and 400 level boxes. haha. Also noticed a bunch of people on their balconies in closeby condos taking photos. Free concert for them.

YBR was OK, I get the theme they are striving for with YBR > Unknown Caller. Bono had a thumb's up, thumb's down action after the song, trying to get a feel from the audience. I don't expect that song to last through the NA leg of the tour.

I believe this was the same set as Chicago 2 (without going back and checking the setlist yet).

Bono made references to celebrities, Elvis Costello, and took out a Toronto snow globe and displayed it on the Hoberman screen. haha.

I parked at Simcoe Building, fortunately the Gardner EXPWY was dead coming in from Etobicoke. Spent the night afterwards at Jack Astor's, as they have pretty women to look at in very very short skirts.

ETA: Garry from Snow Patrol commented on the fact that Toronto crowd was quiet too. So, get your LOUD ON OK for Toronto 2!

I came at 6:30 pm and got into the pit, no problem. Two of my friends made it in around 7, and also got in the pit.

Not really sure why people are lining up so early unless you are desperate for the front row which isn't as good as on past tours because the stage is very elevated and the band is not as close (ie. you won't get to touch Bono this time).

Great show!

Shhhh, you're ruining it us people who want everyone to run to the front of the main stage, :wink:

yeah toronto wake up

subnet what time u queing today i just got up and me feet are lead

I've got seats in section 119 tonight. I took a peek in GA to see how good a view I have. Zero obstructions for tonight.

My head and stomach hurts tonight, partly from the pounding music, partly from the booze after-show.

The GA line was docile yesterday, a good thing standing around coming and going grabbing food. Security last night had absolutely nothing to do.

Spent the night afterwards at Jack Astor's, as they have pretty women to look at in very very short skirts.

ETA: Garry from Snow Patrol commented on the fact that Toronto crowd was quiet too. So, get your LOUD ON OK for Toronto 2!

short skirts??? yes, please :drool:

what shirt did the snow patrol guy wear? blue jays? argonauts?

ok reached dome at 5 after work gate 15 back of the line the gate didnt open till about 5:30pm once in i made it into the inside circle edge's side 2nd row from the back rail with my hand resting on the rail from time to time. i dont see any point in lining up early unless you have a specific palce in the rail you want to be at.

that is awesome! i guess if you want to be inside the circle right in the very freaking front, i could see waiting in line...but you miss so much being that close

-dan

hi guys! i finally woke up from a great night in TO. I was the guy in the Zoo York hoodie if anyone saw me, sorry i didn't say hi.

I walked by you a few times looking for my friends who showed up later in the day. I was wearing a tshirt which said EASILY DISTRACTED written on it.

generally, the mood around me was good to great throughout the concert. No real pushing or shoving that I saw. Some peeps sounded grumbled when Tutu came on, but then changed expressions when they noticed the positive spin to the message.

I think people were generally awe struck, being more quiet than a usual night at the ACC. They never had a night so good.

I don't think the OverDraught is a good meeting place for you guys. We tried to go in there last night cause everything else was full and it was full too. We ended going to the Elephant & Castle just next to the Royal Thompson Hall, it wasn't full but was still busy, and serves food. Also has 3 pool tables.

that is awesome! i guess if you want to be inside the circle right in the very freaking front, i could see waiting in line...but you miss so much being that close

-dan

Exactly the claw is the star

-dan

Garry mentioned being in the home of the blue jays, but I didn't notice any of them wearing a jays or argos shirt.

On another note, I am glad part of the floor had the field turf remaining on it. It likely lessened the echo (somewhat) in the cavernous stadium.

I don't think the OverDraught is a good meeting place for you guys. We tried to go in there last night cause everything else was full and it was full too. We ended going to the Elephant & Castle just next to the Royal Thompson Hall, it wasn't full but was still busy, and serves food. Also has 3 pool tables.

I walked by The OverDraught and moved my butt over to Jack Astor's. They have a large outdoor patio, large indoor lounge, and large dining area. Plus they have Rickard's White on tap and girls in very very short skirts. :sexywink:

OK where is the damn party at. im beingg to get frustrated not to mention my feet ache and i have to be all nice casue wife is coming for show so no barbaric behaviour

I walked by The OverDraught and moved my butt over to Jack Astor's. They have a large outdoor patio, large indoor lounge, and large dining area. Plus they have Rickard's White on tap and girls in very very short skirts. :sexywink:

did i not say im brining my wife??

Ok, short skirts catches my attentions. We were going to try there too but it was blocked and we were starving so we moved on for a easier place to go. But Astors looked like a great place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom