See, they COULD repeat themselves...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
I've said many times that ZooTV II would be a brilliant idea. The ZooTV tour was the greatest thing U2 ever did and 13 years later it still works, even if just for an encore of the Vertigo tour. Many people comment it is the highlight of this tour - especially Zoo Station.

If U2 do another world tour (maybe their last full-blown tour?) - I say, give us ZooTV II - they don't obviously want to call it that, but regardless, give us the costumes, the TV screens, the full-blown "show" that Bono and the boys do best. They could come up with enough new images and ideas and still play off the basic video-screen-going-bezerk idea that made ZooTV so brilliant.

IMO, this would be the one time that "repeating" themselves (albiet in a different format) would really work to their advantage.

i say give us vertigo/elevation again, i love the way some people claim they are "repeating" themselves from last tour, but all would be ok if they repeated themselves, but only if it was an era that you liked

KUEFC09U2 said:
i say give us vertigo/elevation again, i love the way some people claim they are "repeating" themselves from last tour, but all would be ok if they repeated themselves, but only if it was an era that you liked

Excellent point.

Personally, I'd be very disappointed with a ZooTV II. I go for the music, not for a light and video show.

I won't complain if they do a Lovetown II!

I'd love to see more subtley in a show. ZooTV might have been big and loud, but it was a more subtle way of putting their message and feelings across. More fun as well.

So really...

More from Zooropa and Pop would be cool. I love the visuals for ZooTV. And yeah - the Zoo Station and Fly encore is the highlight for me as well. The band play the songs with real passion and power, and the visuals are great. The strobing words during The Fly are a trip. Zoo Station is fantastic and very funny. But some people don't like it, or don't get it. How I was surrounded by people not dancing during both songs is beyond me. Were they watching the tv?

Vertigo and Elevation are virtually the same tour. Or am I missing something, certainly seemed virtually the same show as last time to me.

I personally LOVE watching the fly, see, I was too young for ZooTV, and I've always watched the videos and wished I could've been there, now that's sort of happened.

rjhbonovox said:
Vertigo and Elevation are virtually the same tour. Or am I missing something, certainly seemed virtually the same show as last time to me.

Yep, that huge screen they have up in the European stadiums, that looked so good on the Slane DVD. :rolleyes:

Your complaints and whines get more pathetically outlandish by the day.

terrible idea.

as great as zootv was, they shouldn't repeat themselves.

if you can't generate something fresh anymore, then it's time to quit.

Zoomerang96 said:
terrible idea.

as great as zootv was, they shouldn't repeat themselves.

if you can't generate something fresh anymore, then it's time to quit.

:hmm: Good idea, have you thought about that?

wow. that was pretty weak, now even in short hind-sight, wouldn't you agree?

i wasn't saying u2 should quit. i said if they couldn't come up with anything better to do than to repeat themselves so blatantly, then yes, they should quit.

but u2 would never do that anyway, so it's a mute point.

why am i even explaining myself to you?

you people are acting flat out ridiculous, you know that?

i didn't say anything remotely negative, and you people are swinging your butcher knives.

@zoomerang96

Because I pissed you off?

You more than hinted that you thought it was time for them to quit, and you just did it again.

I wanted you to quit saying that they are repeating themselves, which is simply not true. Sure, I'm mad, too, about them playing standard sets and playing a handful of the same songs every single time they go on tour. But claiming that U2 doesn't come up with something fresh every time they give out an album is plain bogus.

And yes, sure, I'm crying, too, because U2 doesn't quit. :tsk:

Rock is generally repeating itself at the moment...U2 is one of the last original sounding bands at the moment imo...saying that repetition of a sound is not a major travesty to the universe that a lot of people seem to make out.....some of my current favourite bands all repeat a sound to a certain extent...but to me that does not make them bad bands, their songs are original and in the scheme of things that to me is all that matters, whether the songs are good or not...some people here would argue that experimenting/originality of sound comes above good songs...i lok as an experimental new sound that works as a bonus rather than a requirement....

..and after saying all that i do not think HTDAAB/Vertigo Tour is U2 repeating themselves anymore than they did for Achtung Baby/ZooTV...what i mean is Who's Gonna Ride../So Cruel were not phenomonally new sounds to U2, they could have been on JT even Acrobat and Love is Blindness...and even things like Ultraviolet are not overly new...thematically they were new for U2, atmospherically i think they were very new, packaging more glitz and attitude were new....but Ultraviolet was no more new sound experimental wise than the likes of Boomerang....

Achtung to me though is the best album ever and i know Avxer disagrees with that one:wink:

The Vertigo Tour is not really similar at all to Elevation...its bigger for a start....massive screens another....bigger light show....costume changes....songs that have not been played in over 10 years...different themes.....a harder rocking show.....U2 seemed to repeat themselves a hell of a lot in the 80s when they just basically used a stage and thats it for every tour...and Popmart even though i really loved it was just Bono as he said in a Rotterdam Bootleg i have from ZooTV 'blowing this shit up bigger'.....basically the same but even more over the top and eccentric........

I fell in love with U2 through Beautiful Day but my first album was Zooropa ( i have only been a fan for 5 years)...and the 90s is my favourite U2 period but the 90s was like Zeus to me with the other two periods being Hades and Posideon...all Gods just one can shoot lightening up your arse:wink:

Last edited:
rjhbonovox said:

The set is very different, the whole attitude is very different, only the indoor stage looks alike.

If they repeat ZooTV, well, it'd destroy everything about it. ZooTV was brilliant for its time, it was just a perverse fantasy so original that it now hangs up there as one of the greatest tours ever. If they repeat it they ruin it.

I reckon after this, U2 does one more album and a 'farewell' tour, playing various songs from throughout their career.

Let me elaborate...

Last year the Stones toured and each night was dedicated to a specific album, giving the night a theme. They still played their usual hits, but with a definate theme from the album picked.

It would be good if U2 did something similar for their final tour and the stage could incorporate different elements of the shows over the years. The vidiwalls, the lemon, even the heart perhaps, etc. This stage wouldnt change however depending on the night.

Now, lets say its a Zoo TV themed night. The band enter to Zoo Station complete with the static and rising Bono, maybe do a few Zoo numbers early in the set (The Fly, Mysterious Ways, One) and close with Love is Blindness and Cant Help Falling In Love.

Same with Popmart (Mofo) and even Joshua Tree and Lovetown (Streets).

I think it would be really cool way to go out in a live arena, celebrate all the things that made U2 so great over the years.

bono_man said:
I reckon after this, U2 does one more album and a 'farewell' tour, playing various songs from throughout their career.

Let me elaborate...

Last year the Stones toured and each night was dedicated to a specific album, giving the night a theme. They still played their usual hits, but with a definate theme from the album picked.

It would be good if U2 did something similar for their final tour and the stage could incorporate different elements of the shows over the years. The vidiwalls, the lemon, even the heart perhaps, etc. This stage wouldnt change however depending on the night.

Now, lets say its a Zoo TV themed night. The band enter to Zoo Station complete with the static and rising Bono, maybe do a few Zoo numbers early in the set (The Fly, Mysterious Ways, One) and close with Love is Blindness and Cant Help Falling In Love.

Same with Popmart (Mofo) and even Joshua Tree and Lovetown (Streets).

I think it would be really cool way to go out in a live arena, celebrate all the things that made U2 so great over the y ears.
or they could just carry on until THEY feel like it, without being told when or when not they should call it quits

I like a concert that kicks me in the teeth.

Sadly I didn't make Zoo tv, but Popmart did.

zoo station & vertigo (x2) did this time round

bigger the better as far as Im concerned.

No one is addressing my point, which is:

1) Everyone complains "THEY SHOULDN'T REPEAT THEMSELVES!!!"

2) They DO - with the "ZooTV encore" of the Vertigo tour.

3) Majority think this encore is the highlight of the show.

So, they could (and should) do another tour in the same vibe as ZooTV.

KUEFC09U2 said:
or they could just carry on until THEY feel like it, without being told when or when not they should call it quits

arent you meant to be leaving here? or did you just do that for attention?

Zoocoustic said:
No one is addressing my point, which is:

1) Everyone complains "THEY SHOULDN'T REPEAT THEMSELVES!!!"

3) Majority think this encore is the highlight of the show.

So, they could (and should) do another tour in the same vibe as ZooTV.

1. True.

2. I don't think that's repeating themselves at all. Playing TWO songs does not a ZooTV concert repeat.

3. Do they? Not that I've noticed.

So no, they shouldn't do a ZooTV II.

bono_man said:

arent you meant to be leaving here? or did you just do that for attention?
certain people made me feel like i wanted to leave, but then certain people reminded me how great some people where

and why would i want attention from an internet forum?

Zoocoustic said:
If you're talking about the noise on the screens and the Zoo-TV icon's during Zoo Station? That's just connected to the song Zoo Station as the buffalo's are to One, the red screen is to Streets and the houselights are to New Years Day....

That's not repeating... Cause if so, than they are repeating themselves ever since the Joshua Tree with Streets... :eyebrow:

Neilz said:

If you're talking about the noise on the screens and the Zoo-TV icon's during Zoo Station? That's just connected to the song Zoo Station as the buffalo's are to One, the red screen is to Streets and the houselights are to New Years Day....

That's not repeating... Cause if so, than they are repeating themselves ever since the Joshua Tree with Streets... :eyebrow:
the noise wasnt on the album version,

KUEFC09U2 said:
the noise wasnt on the album version,
Zoo Station = Zoo-TV

There is NO song in the U2 catalogue that is só connected to a tour like Zoo Station... I don't think it's strange that they used that noise...

I guess when bands make setlists they try to sum up where they're at, and it takes some sorting out and re-arranging. I'm surprised that Zoo Station was part of the main set for a while over in the States. It works perfectly as an opener for me.

So ZooTV was how the band felt and what they needed to do at the time. Who knows what they'll do in the future. I don't think they know, as I think it was Bono who said they strip the band down and start again bedfore recording an album.

Back
Top Bottom