San Diego U2 Fan Documentary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAWenrich

The Fly
My friend and I will be attending The first show in San Diego on 3/28. We will be staying really close to the venue at a holiday inn.

I will be filming a Documentary in MiniDV about the fans getting their early and trying to get into the "egg." I'm excited to meet all of you and get some interviews on video.

We'll be interviewing at the hotel, the Krispy Kreme in the venue parking lot, and everywhere else U2 fans are getting together. I'll be the guy with a thick beard and a camera in my hands all weekend.

I'm looking for ideas for questions to ask, places to inverview people, and names for the documentary.

The Night Before The concert, there's a huge party at The Hard Rock Cafe With a U2 Cover Band!

You should come with us!

I'm also staying at the Holiday inn...so hope to help you!

I'm planning to invite 5-6-7-8 fans on a Big Limo from the Holiday inn to the HR Cafe. You should film this! It will be wild, fun and amuzing!

Frederic :)

As of right now we're not planning to go to that preshow party. We don't know if they'd let our camera in. We're trying to get the die hard fans who would rather wait out front of the venue than even go to an event sponcered by U2 as well. We'll have to get the interviews with the people who go to the preshow either at the hotel or in line on Monday. Any other suggestions?

Great idea. I actually thought about doing this myself towards the end of the last tour. Hope you've been catching the drama of ticket purchases, etc...

Since we haven't been there for any live ticket issues we don't have any of it currently, we're planning to get fans stories about their issues in getting tickets. Heck I'm not entirely sure how we got our tickets.

BAWenrich said:
My friend and I will be attending The first show in San Diego on 3/28. We will be staying really close to the venue at a holiday inn.

I will be filming a Documentary in MiniDV about the fans getting their early and trying to get into the "egg." I'm excited to meet all of you and get some interviews on video.

We'll be interviewing at the hotel, the Krispy Kreme in the venue parking lot, and everywhere else U2 fans are getting together. I'll be the guy with a thick beard and a camera in my hands all weekend.

I'm looking for ideas for questions to ask, places to inverview people, and names for the documentary.

BA-

hey i will be there.
i can tell u a story or 2 about U2;)

look for me:)

diamond

BAWenrich,

Please email me after the fact as I'd love to do a profile on you and your documentary for Interference.com.

Best of luck on your endeavor!

Thanks for responding guys! I've generated some buzz with my local film group First Against The Wall Pictures (first-against-the-wall.com/) about this little documentary. I've just bought a new camera 2 extra batteries and a ton of MiniDV tape for the interviews, so I'm really looking forward to it. I should be an easy dude to spot in line, at the Hotel, and around the venue meeting places with my thick beard, hat on, and camera in hand. I will for sure be looking for people that have responded on these forums and I will email you after the show and keep you updated with progress of the flick.

hey Bawenrich,

There will also be a lot of people from Mexico going to this show, myself included, how about getting our perspective?

miguel_m said:
hey Bawenrich, There will also be a lot of people from Mexico going to this show, myself included, how about getting our perspective?

That's a great idea! Look for me and I'll for sure be interviewing you and others. That could almost make a whole other documentary.

ladywithspinninghead said:
And there's at least 12 of us coming from the Toronto area too :yes:

Hi Julie :wave:

Keep a lookout for us crazy Canucks, BAWenrich, we're easy to spot since we create spontaneous wild parties wherever we go :yes: AND we'll all be either pastey white or freshly sun-burned LOL

Plus, I'll be 7 months pregnant in the middle of it all hahaha.

Hope to see all you blue crack addicts...I've never travelled to see a concert before, not even U2 so I am so excited I can't stand it!!!!!!

Last edited:
BAWenrich said:
Thanks for responding guys! I've generated some buzz with my local film group First Against The Wall Pictures (first-against-the-wall.com/) about this little documentary. I've just bought a new camera 2 extra batteries and a ton of MiniDV tape for the interviews, so I'm really looking forward to it. I should be an easy dude to spot in line, at the Hotel, and around the venue meeting places with my thick beard, hat on, and camera in hand. I will for sure be looking for people that have responded on these forums and I will email you after the show and keep you updated with progress of the flick.

Well I do not give interviews. Sorry it sounds crazy but don't be surprised.

Super_Fan said:
Well I do not give interviews. Sorry it sounds crazy but don't be surprised.

I wont bug anyone who doesn't want to give interviews or be on camera. I want it to be able to send this thing to festivals if I get enough good stuff together to make a good story. To do that I have to have the permission of anyone I interview.

My brother (who has had bad run IN's with U2 fans) has a theory that I wont get much on tape because each U2 fan thinks they are the best U2 fan and therefore will be unwilling to help another U2 fan by being in their documentary. I really want to prove him wrong.

BAWenrich said:
My brother (who has had bad run IN's with U2 fans) has a theory that I wont get much on tape because each U2 fan thinks they are the best U2 fan and therefore will be unwilling to help another U2 fan by being in their documentary. I really want to prove him wrong.

I'm pretty sure you're going to prove him wrong.

you should interview some friends of mine...they're guys that have both been onstage on elevation and even got into the hall of fame in nyc. the fan names they're known by are tattoo dan and jesus matt....

that is if you're interested in fan experience stories!

mel

popbellydancer said:
you should interview some friends of mine...they're guys that have both been onstage on elevation and even got into the hall of fame in nyc. the fan names they're known by are tattoo dan and jesus matt.... that is if you're interested in fan experience stories! mel

Tattoo Dan and Jesus Matt! Got it. Very excited to hear their stories.

We will most likely start filming either at the Hotel or at the Irish Pub meeting mentioned in the AtU2.com Forums.

Thanks again for all the attention. This started as a simple idea and is really working into a reality. I can't wait to hear the stories of all of you and ... heh edit them together.

We are also seeing both shows in Denver so we might be playing catch up with Interviews there, if we don't get enough in San Diego. I'm thinking we're only going to need the San Diego stuff with how cool everyone's been to us. Plus it would be nice to just focus on the shows in Denver without having to worry about getting anything on tape.

Thanks again everyone!

BAWenrich said:

:laugh:

He seriously thinks that? Like ramblin rose said, I think he's going to proven wrong. If you put a camera in front of most of the U2 fans I know and ask them to talk about U2, you will get your wish...and then some! My experience has been that U2 fans go above and beyond to help out other U2 fans so I think you'll get plenty of footage.

Bono's American Wife said:
He seriously thinks that?
He has fairly good reason. Heck I've been treated rather poorly by some U2 fans too so I can understand where he's coming from. Thing is I love the band and their music and I think this opening show could make a good documentary.

I will be waiting outside the venue dressed as Macphisto with an isabelle guns shirt in san diego. come say HI :)

I am staying at the same hotel as you I think, musdt double check my hotels.com reservation.

The Irish Pub meeting sounds like a good place for interviews. Now I must find out which pub you are talking about!

This message is for BAWenrich & FREDSTAB, if you get this:

I'm stoked to see fans taking initiative to make their own documentaries! I've actually never seen anyone attempting to do so, and I'm absolutely thrilled to have the opportunity to be apart of it. During the U2 Rock Hall exhibit in '03, Jenny Williams from the Rock Hall set up a mock 'confession booth' and fans that attended the opening of the exhibit were allowed 90 seconds to videotape a personal message to the band, which was hand delivered by their management. That's the closest I've seen to fans being able to document their U2 adventures. I checked out your site, and you guys have what appears to be a really substantial film library under your belt.

My name is Ryan, and I'm a 25 year old college student from Chico, California. I've been making student indies for about 4 years, and have been acting for most of my life. I'm also staying at the Holiday Inn, room 112. If you want to give my friends and I a call, we'd be glad to be of service in any capacity. Give my friend Marcus a call @ (209) 606 4827. We're all in room 112. That's for you too, Fred ;) I'll let you whet your whistle on the harmonica Bono gave me in Columbus ;)

Also... if you're looking for a good story for the doc, I followed U2 on the Elevation Tour from california to Slane Castle on a shoestring budget. Once there, I got a job bartending at the Clarence Hotel/Kitchen Nightclub and lived in Dublin for 9 months. I still have the Bank of Ireland PASS Card from the account they opened for me, and I brought photos from the Slane shows and what-have-you. Drop me a message if this would be somethign that would interest you...

Thank you for what you're doing! In observing and documenting an event, it limits your ability to participate... I'm really grateful for your sacrifice. I hope to hear from you!

Ryan

theryanking@gmail.com

Last edited:
THANK YOU RYAN!

and everyone else that helped me get some really great stuff shot. It was a blast meeting a ton of fans and the community that you have put together.

I didn't get near as many interviews on tape as I might have liked, opting instead for the sit back and watch approach. I have wonderful quotes from many of you that really touched me and made me happy to be doing what I was doing.

Now comes the fun of digitizing the footage and trying to tell a story with it.

Nothing will renew your faith in humanity like being online at a U2 show.

Back
Top Bottom