Saddam Hussein Town, Sri Lanka Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sad Punk said:
Oh, if you could upload it that'd be awesome. I need something good to listen to and analyse tonight. :up:

Loveless took ages to grow on me. For a long time the only songs I really liked were Sometimes and When You Sleep. Then I started liking I Only Said and Soon... and Only Shallow, and then the rest of the album opened up. I think it's a very complete album, in fact I think it's more of a single song than 11 tracks. I treat it very differently to Nowhere, and like both of them sort of equally, but in different ways. Mainly, I just love that those sounds could come out of a guitar! Shoegaze in all of its forms was so important in the early 90s - whereas most other rock groups were doing the same old shit in that time, rehashing the 70s and late 60s mainly, the shoegazer movement was incredibly fresh in comparison.

Of course, now a lot of bands today are rehashing shoegaze sounds from that period. The circle of life lives on!

Do you like Catherine Wheel? They had the heavier sound going.

I'm uploading Mezcal Head now. I hope it doesn't take too long ...

Loveless has actually gradually declined in my opinion. I liked it first listen, then really liked it for the next few listens, but then it just lost something for me. It was the first shoegazer album I heard (I know, how stereotypical), and when I discovered Nowhere, Loveless completely fell by the wayside. Seagull, Dreams Burn Down, and Vapour Trail are fucking incredible and leave anything on Loveless for dead.

Catherine Wheel are one of those bands who've been on my "to listen" list for ages but I've never gotten around to doing anything about that. What album is best?

So wait, are you imagining Axver watching the Loreley gig, rewinding every now and again to watch in slow-motion, maybe stopping a few frames here and there to observe?

I mean I can imagine that, but only if it was to look at some nice sporty young railfan in the audience.

Alisaura said:

Once again, too much thought going into this for an alleged non-PLEBAn. :angel:

I'm surprised none of you have called me out for my era separations. I really have no fucking idea what Bono looked like between tours, when he went from Mullet Era to Bogan Cowboy Era or anything like that. For everything between the end of ZooTV and the start of Popmart, all I know is one photo of Bono looking like a wannabe artsy fart - and he has a beret on!

Pretty much all I know is from DVD bootlegs. Which I used to watch a lot back in the day. The object of my visual appreciation was the Gibson Explorer. :drool:

The Sad Punk said:
So wait, are you imagining Axver watching the Loreley gig, rewinding every now and again to watch in slow-motion, maybe stopping a few frames here and there to observe?

I mean I can imagine that, but only if it was to look at some nice sporty young railfan in the audience.

:lmao:

Axver said:

I'm uploading Mezcal Head now. I hope it doesn't take too long ...

Loveless has actually gradually declined in my opinion. I liked it first listen, then really liked it for the next few listens, but then it just lost something for me. It was the first shoegazer album I heard (I know, how stereotypical), and when I discovered Nowhere, Loveless completely fell by the wayside. Seagull, Dreams Burn Down, and Vapour Trail are fucking incredible and leave anything on Loveless for dead.

Catherine Wheel are one of those bands who've been on my "to listen" list for ages but I've never gotten around to doing anything about that. What album is best?

Thanks a lot!

Interesting regarding Loveless, did you just wear the album out after listening to it to often? It wasn't the first shoegaze album I heard in full, actually I think that might have been Nowhere. :lol: I remember having Vapour Trail on repeat for hours, or something. It still sounds so good to me, though.

For CW, Ferment and Chrome are generally considered the best. A lot of people say they went downhill after those, and I'd be willing to agree. There are some pretty hardcore fans here that could probably convince you otherwise, though.

Axver said:
I'm surprised none of you have called me out for my era separations. I really have no fucking idea what Bono looked like between tours, when he went from Mullet Era to Bogan Cowboy Era or anything like that. For everything between the end of ZooTV and the start of Popmart, all I know is one photo of Bono looking like a wannabe artsy fart - and he has a beret on!

Pretty much all I know is from DVD bootlegs. Which I used to watch a lot back in the day. The object of my visual appreciation was the Gibson Explorer. :drool:
I was wondering about the Unneccesarily Shaved Era... as far as I know he only went bald that one time :wink:

Did you hear Edge was donating the (spare) Explorer to a Music Rising auction?

Axver said:

In between eras!

Between UF and JT: Parisian Bathtub era Jim Morrison.

Between LT and AB: Seamless transition!

Between AB and Passengers: Stoned Latin American dictator.

Between Passengers and Pop: Fucko, probably with a beret or something.

Between Pop and ATYCLB: Hella nerd thing going on.

After that it's just boring and it sort of was to begin with actually.

Behold, the Dead Skunk Era... (although I thought this was two-toned as well, my memory's going)

939cf4da.jpg

and the Roosterhead...

bonoroosterhead.jpg

The Sad Punk said:

Thanks a lot!

Interesting regarding Loveless, did you just wear the album out after listening to it to often? It wasn't the first shoegaze album I heard in full, actually I think that might have been Nowhere. :lol: I remember having Vapour Trail on repeat for hours, or something. It still sounds so good to me, though.

For CW, Ferment and Chrome are generally considered the best. A lot of people say they went downhill after those, and I'd be willing to agree. There are some pretty hardcore fans here that could probably convince you otherwise, though.

Currently it says the upload's going to take only just a little under 2 hours ... ah well. I don't think it'll speed up much either!

I really don't think I wore out Loveless. I actually can't think of any album I've worn out; the albums I play to death, I tend to just like more and more. I haven't listened to Loveless in months now; it honestly bores me in parts and doesn't hold much attraction. Might have to give it another spin though.

Righto, I'll give those albums a try. Also, what do you think of Spiritualized? I've heard Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space praised as one of the greatest albums of all time, but never gotten around to downloading it.

Alisaura said:

I was wondering about the Unneccesarily Shaved Era... as far as I know he only went bald that one time :wink:

Did you hear Edge was donating the (spare) Explorer to a Music Rising auction?

But for all of Popmart, he had his hair shaved pretty short, didn't he? It always looked kind of stupid. As bad as the mullet was, at least it usually suited him.

And yes, I heard that! Now I just need to, you know, win Lotto.

The Sad Punk said:

In between eras!

Between UF and JT: Parisian Bathtub era Jim Morrison.

Between LT and AB: Seamless transition!

Between AB and Passengers: Stoned Latin American dictator.

Between Passengers and Pop: Fucko, probably with a beret or something.

Between Pop and ATYCLB: Hella nerd thing going on.

After that it's just boring and it sort of was to begin with actually.

:lmao: :lmao:

I think nowadays it's just Too Much Guinness Bono or something, judging by the few recent pictures that have made their way to this thread or EYKIW.

Alisaura said:
Behold, the Dead Skunk Era... (although I thought this was two-toned as well, my memory's going)

939cf4da.jpg

and the Roosterhead...

bonoroosterhead.jpg

:lmao:

Oh wow.

I wish I'd had that first one for my DEAD CAT demotivational poster. I would've just changed it to DEAD SKUNK and it would've worked perfectly.

Axver said:
But for all of Popmart, he had his hair shaved pretty short, didn't he? It always looked kind of stupid. As bad as the mullet was, at least it usually suited him.

And yes, I heard that! Now I just need to, you know, win Lotto.
*checks Popmart pics*

I guess it was pretty short, dunno about shaved. I don't think it was much longer for the last leg of the Vertigo tour (/Best Of Tour).

:shrug:

I didn't think mullets suited anyone... :lol:

Axver said:

:lmao: :lmao:

I think nowadays it's just Too Much Guinness Bono or something, judging by the few recent pictures that have made their way to this thread or EYKIW.

Guinness is low-carb, equivalent to orange juice in calories. Actually, I think Bono was as much of or more of a Heineken drinker, as much as I hate to break the stereotype.

But, I think Too Much Beer Bono appears between every tour, even going back to the 80s.

Alisaura said:

*checks Popmart pics*

I guess it was pretty short, dunno about shaved. I don't think it was much longer for the last leg of the Vertigo tour (/Best Of Tour).

:shrug:

I didn't think mullets suited anyone... :lol:

It looked pretty shocking on the last leg of Vertigo too! But the whole band looks shocking nowadays. Larry looks like he's in the throes of midlife crisis-inspired delusions of youth. Edge the same, really, but with a trace of dignity. And Adam looks like he's older than the Rolling Stones and has one foot in the grave already, but again with dignity.

And I think Bono did suit his mullet at various points. I've never found his hair that laughable on UABRS, for instance. Though the Dead Skunk one is hysterical. When is that from?

The Sad Punk said:

Guinness is low-carb, equivalent to orange juice in calories. Actually, I think Bono was as much of or more of a Heineken drinker, as much as I hate to break the stereotype.

But, I think Too Much Beer Bono appears between every tour, even going back to the 80s.

I think somebody pointed that out after the "GUINNESS: Sorry PLEBA" poster, actually. Shows how much I know about beer.

Too Much Beer Bono was definitely out in force for Womanfish, though perhaps in a different way ...

Axver said:

It looked pretty shocking on the last leg of Vertigo too! But the whole band looks shocking nowadays. Larry looks like he's in the throes of midlife crisis-inspired delusions of youth. Edge the same, really, but with a trace of dignity. And Adam looks like he's older than the Rolling Stones and has one foot in the grave already, but again with dignity.

And I think Bono did suit his mullet at various points. I've never found his hair that laughable on UABRS, for instance. Though the Dead Skunk one is hysterical. When is that from?

well to me Edge and Adam look better now than they ever have. Larry looks :drool: except for the long hair thing. . . . .Bono will always be slightly wrong with his too long sleeves but that's what makes him so right..:up:

Adam looks like he should be sitting at the fireside, reading stories to his grandkids after a day tending to his petunias and chrysanthemums.

Axver said:

Currently it says the upload's going to take only just a little under 2 hours ... ah well. I don't think it'll speed up much either!

I really don't think I wore out Loveless. I actually can't think of any album I've worn out; the albums I play to death, I tend to just like more and more. I haven't listened to Loveless in months now; it honestly bores me in parts and doesn't hold much attraction. Might have to give it another spin though.

Righto, I'll give those albums a try. Also, what do you think of Spiritualized? I've heard Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space praised as one of the greatest albums of all time, but never gotten around to downloading it.

I'll be here 'til then, don't worry. :wink:

Guess it's just different strokes for Loveless, really. It was briefly my favourite shoegaze album late last year and early this year, but some of it does sound sort of tired now. I wear out things quite badly, which is especially frustrating as I find it hard to discover music I genuinely enjoy to begin with.

Never listened to Spiritualized, I thought they were more post-Shoegaze. I do have a collection of Spacemen 3, though.

Axver said:
And Adam looks like he's older than the Rolling Stones and has one foot in the grave already, but again with dignity.

Seeing that Rolling Stones trailer before U23D was interesting... I've seen better looking fossils. :huh: Adam isn't quite THAT dessicated yet! :lol:

Yeah, UABRS was fine. I didn't even notice that was a mullet... :der:
No idea about the Dead Skunk era... it looks UF-ish though. Although maybe that's just the Japanese text confusing me...

Axver said:
Adam looks like he should be sitting at the fireside, reading stories to his grandkids after a day tending to his petunias and chrysanthemums.

He probably is. I'm sure he has a lot of kids running around that we don't know about.

I think somebody pointed that out after the "GUINNESS: Sorry PLEBA" poster, actually. Shows how much I know about beer.

It was probably me. :lol: Mainly because Guinness is more or less the only low-carb beer I remotely enjoy, and so I always remember that.

Too Much Beer Bono was definitely out in force for Womanfish, though perhaps in a different way ...

Looks a little like both ways, I think.

The baldness thing aside (although that's not really age-related in this case), I think Edge has probably aged best (least?) out of all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom