Roughly 3 months later, where does NLOTH fall in your album rankings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would say...that as of today....NLOTH remains a pleasant listening experience just as it did from first listen.
I rekon it comes about mid way in my u2 league table

Hi Gman :wave:

I'd go along with that, their best album this decade, better than R&H and October, I'd rank it about the same as War, misway through my U2 league table.

1 Achtung Baby
2 Joshua Tree
3 Unforgettable Fire
4 Boy
5 Passengers
6 Zooropa
7 Pop
8 NLOTH
9 War
10 October
11 Rattle and Hum
12 ATYCLB
13 HTDAAB

...what? some songs age well, some others don't. the sticker-new feel of some songs wear off when some songs just hit you later. You can be consistent and start to like a song more or less 3 months after the fact can't you?

NYD sounds very aged but it always did to me because I got into U2 in 1997 :wink:. A lot of songs that have a very specific sound from their time do sound old. 80's songs with syntheizers, 60's, 70's prog and I'm sure in years back today's music will sound old, but that doesn't mean bad. I personally don't mind a lot of 80's pop songs. A-Ha's Take On Me is one of my favourite pop songs of all time even though it does sound very 80's. I very rarely like a song after initially disliking.

1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. POP
4. NLOTH
5. Zooropa
6. Boy
7. HTDAAB
8.TUF
9. War
10. ATYCLB
11.RH
12. October

It is changing very often but number 1 and 12 was very easy to choose...

who would have thought all those whoah whoahs wouldve been so great live.

1. AB
2. NLOTH
3. UF
4. JT

NLOTH is rising up my list big time. I didn't listen to it for a few months but I started listening to it again yesterday after seeing the Crazy Tonight ads and it has the impact of an Achtung Baby for me. I think the newness of the album had me questioning whether it was really good as everyone thought it was but now I'm pretty sure it is.

NYD sounds very aged but it always did to me because I got into U2 in 1997 :wink:. A lot of songs that have a very specific sound from their time do sound old. 80's songs with syntheizers, 60's, 70's prog and I'm sure in years back today's music will sound old, but that doesn't mean bad. I personally don't mind a lot of 80's pop songs. A-Ha's Take On Me is one of my favourite pop songs of all time even though it does sound very 80's. I very rarely like a song after initially disliking.

Which is why I love U2 live, if you never had heard of the band U2 before and went to a concert you'd think most of the songs were recent songs. They bring the style of their most recent album to a lot of their songs when on tour... and that was most evident during Popmart.

1. AB
2. JT
3. NLOTH
4. ATYCLB
5. UF
6. Zooropa
7. Pop
8. War
9. Boy
10. HTDaAB

The rest I don't listen much to. But all of these get decimated by my Audio rip of the Slane Castle DVD and my live playlist of things like Bad from "Wide awake in America" and Kite from Sydney '06 etc.

1. NLOTH
2. AB
3. UF
4. War
5. Pop

So, no JT in my top 5....

TJT's not in my top five, either. And I think NLOTH is solidly my second-favorite album right now, after AB and just ahead of Pop (Zooropa is number four, and has my favorite U2 song, Lemon).

1) Achtung Baby
2) War
3) The Joshua Tree
4) October
5) The Unforgettable Fire
6) No Line On The Horizon
7) Rattle and Hum
8) Boy
9) Bomb
10) Zooropa
11) Pop
12) ATYCLB

1/AB
2/HTDAAB
3/NLOTH
4/TJT
5/POP
6/Zooropa
7/TUF
8/R&H
9/ATYCLB
10/BOY
11/WAR
12/October

truly one of their best albums. i don't give a shit about sales, but i wish more people would really listen to this.

it is truly brilliant. still don't love SUC, but wow...every other song is just amazing.

Achtung Baby
NLOTH
Zooropa
Pop
ATYCLB
JT
R&H
HTDAAB
Boy
War
TUF
October

It changes sometimes NLOTH is numero uno..all depends :)

truly one of their best albums. i don't give a shit about sales, but i wish more people would really listen to this.

it is truly brilliant. still don't love SUC, but wow...every other song is just amazing.

I agree wholeheartedly! Well... actually I like SUC also. Thing is I think NLOTH/Magnificent/MOS is the best opening trilogy since Discotheque/DYFL/Mofo or maybe even Streets/I Still/WOWY. Three absolutely stunning songs with fantastic vocal performance by Bono (didn't know he had it in him this late in the game!) and then there is Unknown Caller which I have warmed up to a little more. Great verse lyrics but awkward ones in the chorus. Still good song and kickass solo at the end. ...Crazy Tonight has an awful song title (possibly their worst ever? lol) but I love the song itself. Perfect pop! SUC has some bad lyrics but I really really enjoy it musically. And Bono's once again done a great job singing it! Bono has truly come back on this album after half-assing it on the Bomb. Boots is fine. I like it as much as I liked it originally, not more not less. Fez to Cedars is again stunning! Fez could be their best song this decade? Damn.. everything is perfect, the music, the lyrics, the vocals!

Sorry, I know this is a ranking thread. But I wanted to express my joyful disbelief at how impressive this album continues to be on repeated listens. I really really don't understand the tepid reviews and those people who are saying that U2 are repeating themselves now and that till Bomb they had it. What??? :coocoo:

I agree wholeheartedly! Well... actually I like SUC also. Thing is I think NLOTH/Magnificent/MOS is the best opening trilogy since Discotheque/DYFL/Mofo or maybe even Streets/I Still/WOWY. Three absolutely stunning songs with fantastic vocal performance by Bono (didn't know he had it in him this late in the game!) and then there is Unknown Caller which I have warmed up to a little more. Great verse lyrics but awkward ones in the chorus. Still good song and kickass solo at the end. ...Crazy Tonight has an awful song title (possibly their worst ever? lol) but I love the song itself. Perfect pop! SUC has some bad lyrics but I really really enjoy it musically. And Bono's once again done a great job singing it! Bono has truly come back on this album after half-assing it on the Bomb. Boots is fine. I like it as much as I liked it originally, not more not less. Fez to Cedars is again stunning! Fez could be their best song this decade? Damn.. everything is perfect, the music, the lyrics, the vocals!

Sorry, I know this is a ranking thread. But I wanted to express my joyful disbelief at how impressive this album continues to be on repeated listens. I really really don't understand the tepid reviews and those people who are saying that U2 are repeating themselves now and that till Bomb they had it. What??? :coocoo:

:up::up:

My rankings:

1. AB - 5 stars
2. Pop - 5
3. TJT - 5
4. War - 4.999
5. NLOTH - 4.888
6. TUF - 4.777
7. HTDAAB - 4
8. October - 3.5
9. Boy - 3.5
10. Rattle and Hum - 3
11. ATYCLB - 3
12. Zooropa - 2.5 (sorry)

Yes! :up:

I've been loving this album more and more lately, and thinking about why this is happening. It's just got so much depth...beautiful cracks and imperfections that you can sink into, explore, and share a sandwich with as the music washes over you. Instead of coming at you, it invites you to come along, if that makes any sense.

Some of the reviews are laughable...critics be damned. NLOTH is at my number 2 position behind AB, and it's creeping steadily upwards. I'm absolutely stoked to hear these songs come alive in concert.

i'm not ranking anything, but i do find no line on the horizon to be a solid album. there are a lot of really good songs here... not their best by any means, but loads better than their 2 previous efforts.

songs like no line on the horizon, unknown caller, moment of surrender, fez, and white as snow are my favourites.

it's unfortunate that "stand up comedy' is on there... should have been left out, in my opinion.

still, this is a good album. :up:

Is it just me or have more interferencers come together in agreement that the new album is actually good? :) I don't see many negative opinions this time around.

Is it just me or have more interferencers come together in agreement that the new album is actually good? :) I don't see many negative opinions this time around.

I agree--and am somewhat surprised. All of my die-hard friends, including me, find it to be good record, but definitely the weakest of the post AB era--with their two worst songs ever, Crazy and SUC.

What is odd is how it is almost universally lauded on this board as one of their best. I just don't see it. The songs are not there. To rank it ahead of JT, AB, POP, and ATYCLB is laughable IMO.

1. AB
2. JT
3. NLOTH

There's a drop-off after those three. As I have seen the NLOTH songs played live on YouTube, the album has cemented its spot as a worthy number 3 (THREE! ;) ) to the two all-time greatest U2 albums - AB and JT.

As for the previous post, I don't see how anyone can listen to NLOTH and NOT see it as one of U2's best albums. It's an excellent album and their best effort since AB. It is "laughable" to rank it behind anything they've put out since AB...IMO.

:up:

5 months after the leak, i still find it to be amazing. songs like UC and Fez are some of their absolute best ever.

Back
Top Bottom