Rose Bowl DVD - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The crowd looked fine to me on the dvd. I can't comment on the overall energy level of the show, I wasn't there, but I think they made good use of enthusiastic crowd shots throughout the dvd.

The one surprising place where I saw the GA crowd being fairly mellow was during Breathe, on the bonus dvd. I certainly wouldn't judge the crowd on that one shot though, nor do I think it affects the quality of the dvd; that's just silly.

The crowd looked fine to me on the dvd. I can't comment on the overall energy level of the show, I wasn't there, but I think they made good use of enthusiastic crowd shots throughout the dvd.

The one surprising place where I saw the GA crowd being fairly mellow was during Breathe, on the bonus dvd. I certainly wouldn't judge the crowd on that one shot though, nor do I think it affects the quality of the dvd; that's just silly.

One of the weirdest things about the concert, IMO, was the fact that Black Eyed Peas (and I'm not even really a big fan or anything) absolutely KILLED as the opening act. I'd never heard the song "I Gotta Feeling" before the show :reject: and as soon as I heard it, I was floored, thinking, "what IS this song?! I HAVE to get this!" ... the entire Rose Bowl was going bananas, doing the "whoo-hoos" in unison, etc. It was almost as though the opening act took something out of the crowd, and then when Breathe started, the energy level was a little low. Once U2 found their groove though and the fans settled in, we were off.

Just my 2 cents.

One of the weirdest things about the concert, IMO, was the fact that Black Eyed Peas (and I'm not even really a big fan or anything) absolutely KILLED as the opening act. I'd never heard the song "I Gotta Feeling" before the show :reject: and as soon as I heard it, I was floored, thinking, "what IS this song?! I HAVE to get this!" ... the entire Rose Bowl was going bananas, doing the "whoo-hoos" in unison, etc. It was almost as though the opening act took something out of the crowd, and then when Breathe started, the energy level was a little low. Once U2 found their groove though and the fans settled in, we were off.

Just my 2 cents.

Agreed. The energy during BEP's was high to begin with as they are a local band, then the place went off when Slash came out and then during "I Gotta Feeling".

The problem with Breathe for this particular crowd is not all of them were familiar with the song. If they'd have opened with Boots, or an older more well known song, the energy would have been higher. With a crowd of 97k there are a huge chunk there that aren't as familiar with the new album and certainly not with a track that wasn't even a single.

Just my 2 cents.

And to me, that's understandable. :up: All day spent in heat and clusterfuck conditions, then a highly energetic opener - it might sap a bit of energy from the crowd.

Plus, there's the "wow" factor of the band first coming on stage, and seeing the claw lit up, etc. As I said earlier in the thread, in no way do I think the lack of jumping around means that the show isn't amazing. If I'm standing still during portions of a show, maybe I'm quietly in awe - it's possible to enjoy a show just as much that way, too.

(I also love I Gotta Feeling, and I've been soundly mocked for it. :angry: :wink: )

Just my 2 cents.
Off topic here for a second...
Have you seen the flash mob dance to I Gotta Feeling that took place downtown Chicago about 4000 people dancing in unison with the BEP's on stage for Oprah's opening show last September? That's the first time I heard/saw that and I thought wow... amazing energy..like a U2 concert!
ahahahaha! :) But I am sick of that song now.

How's this for North American crowd? Pretty cool!

YouTube - Black Eyed Peas I got a feeling on Oprah Chicago Flashmob 24th

Got the blu ray version and its not there best Concert DVD release. I think the mix really let it down with the vocals far too loud over everything else. In some of the songs Edge can barely be heard and also there isn't enough bass. Some of the older songs sound very weak like Sunday Bloody Sunday for example. This is a surprise cos when I went to Sheffield I rated this tour as the best sounding tour since Popmart. Also when you listen to the Sheffield radio broadcast the songs came over far more powerfully than on this official release. The real big plusses for this DVD are the versions of Ultra Violet, One and Unknown Caller. So as far as I can tell either the band were poor on the US leg of the tour or that they fuc#ed up the mixing of this disc. I think its the latter. Shame cos the UK leg that I went to was superb!

They were not poor on the US leg, but Bono's vocals were strained by the end (hence having to do some edits for the DVD). I really wish they had filmed Giants Stadium or Wembley, as awesome as the size of the crowd was at the Rose Bowl.

They were not poor on the US leg, but Bono's vocals were strained by the end (hence having to do some edits for the DVD). I really wish they had filmed Giants Stadium or Wembley, as awesome as the size of the crowd was at the Rose Bowl.

Agreed about Bono's vocals being strained.

My dad watched the DVD last night (huge U2 fan like me) and he was amazed. He never knew songs like Unforgettable Fire and Ultraviolet would be played again.

The most annoying thing in the DVD...Bono making weird sounds during the beginning of the show (Mysterious Ways :applaud:)

What song did you spot yourself in?

During 'Where The Streets Have No Name', right when the all the lights come up during the first huge crecendo. The inner circle is lit up really well and I could see myself jumping up and down like a madman with both arms pumping in the air. :lol:

I couldn't work the zoom on my friend's Blu-Ray player, so I'll have to wait until I get the standard dvd version so I can zoom in for a closer look on my own tv.

During 'Where The Streets Have No Name', right when the all the lights come up during the first huge crecendo. The inner circle is lit up really well and I could see myself jumping up and down like a madman with both arms pumping in the air. :lol:

I couldn't work the zoom on my friend's Blu-Ray player, so I'll have to wait until I get the standard dvd version so I can zoom in for a closer look on my own tv.

That's when I spotted myself too. I was glad I wore red.

He never knew songs like Unforgettable Fire and Ultraviolet would be played again.

The fact of playing these two songs alone, was worth the price of the tickets and the Blu Ray. I feel like I can truly die a happy man, seeing these songs performed live.

Agreed about Bono's vocals being strained.

The most annoying thing in the DVD...Bono making weird sounds during the beginning of the show (Mysterious Ways :applaud:)

Yeah, I think the weird noises before MW probably seemed even weirder to those who didn't realize that he was copying the ultra-weird noises made in Blue Velvet by Dennis Hopper (to whom he had just compared himself) . . probably too '80s a reference - (and I am dating myself).

That is as far as I have made it so far in the DVD . . . these comments have me pumped to watch the rest tonight!

MeOnTheScreenWithLabels.png

I couldn't take a screen cap while the actual DVD was playing on my mac using whatever the standard player is so I had to take the above pic from youtube.

:applaud: oh that's totally you! Congrats!

I can't wait to see others screencaps. There is only one part where my sign is barely visible when Bono is introducing Larry when the camera looks out into the inner pit.

I couldn't take a screen cap while the actual DVD was playing on my mac using whatever the standard player is so I had to take the above pic from youtube.

Yeah I couldn't do it on my mac either.There's a specific part during Streets that I can't wait to screencap :wink:

Got it today and watched it twice today! Watched it by myself the first time this morning, and then again with my mom tonight. I was blown away both times!! Ultraviolet, Unknown Caller, and Moment of Surrender (as well as Amazing Grace, great sentimental meaning to me) were all personal high points. Loved the tempo of the show, and can't wait till Chicago 2011!

:applaud: oh that's totally you! Congrats!

I can't wait to see others screencaps. There is only one part where my sign is barely visible when Bono is introducing Larry when the camera looks out into the inner pit.

Yeah I couldn't do it on my mac either.There's a specific part during Streets that I can't wait to screencap :wink:

:hmm: I wonder which part that is!
I'm going to watch it on my laptop tomorrow - if you text me the part I"ll cap it for you.

- Larry getting angry during Streets? didn't notice *goes back to watch again*
- Bono sucking his thumb - I thought that was weird - just like when he did it in Vegas on those girls' laps. weird. *waits for BonoGirls to throw things at her*
- I love Comet's previous posts about the crowd, nuff said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom