Rolling Stone's top 100 singers list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my list of people off the top of my head that would have been nice to see on the list

Aimee Mann
Sarah Mclachlan
Natalie Merchant
Andrea Bochelli
Frank fucking Sinatra

I hate these lists, they mean shit all. How are Bob Dylan, John Lennon and Johnny Cash classed as higher than Bono or Jeff Buckley, such a joke. And where the hell is Liam Gallagher?? Circa 1995-1997 he had one of the best rock voices of all time in my opinion.

Americans, especially Rolling Stone, don't like Oasis.

That list is a JOKE like most of RS' lists.

Bob Dylan cannot sing for s**t, he shouldn't be on that list at all, let alone at no. 7.

And other people, who would clearly deserve to be on that list, have been ignored?!

The people voting here clearly don't know much about singing.

:huh:

I will second the sentiments of all you fine people who have noticed that my boy Eddie Vedder was unfairly left off the list. That's sum serious bullshit, for reel. I'd also find a spot for J.M. Stipe amongst the lot of worthless fuckers that somehow made their way onto this Godless list.

Morrissey at 92:doh:

About 80 places too low.

And where is Ian Brown? He might not be as technically brilliant as some of the folk on there, but damn he's got a distinctive, spinetingling style.

^I love this video where Eddie and Bruce are singing Better Man. I'm always thinking, :doh: he's like ten times better than everyone else. Even though I really like Bruce Springsteen.:wink:

The people voting here clearly don't know much about singing.

:huh:

You're right

Chris Cornell
Liam Gallagher
Art Garkfunkel
Billy Joel
Norah Jones
Alicia Keys
BB King
Lenny Kravitz
Chris Martin
Mike Mills
Sinead O Connor
Yoko Ono
Ozzy Osbourne
Iggy Pop
Keith Richards
Mark Ronson
Bob Seger
Patti Smith
Bruce Springsteen
Ringo Starr
Rod Stewart
Justin Timberlake
Roger Waters

They all know nothing about singing! How dare people like them be the judge of this list! We should ask the real experts, people on here!

Seriously people, we may disagree with the list but the people who voted on it know more about music than us, and are actually in the business, so maybe we should respect their opinion a little?

Or maybe we shouldn't because the people who put this list together clearly know very little about singing:shrug:

The list you posted doesn't convince me.

There happen to be some people on this list who actually can sing, so it's not all bad.

Some of the people who are far up on that list may be good musicians, but not great singers.

The list you posted doesn't convince me.

There happen to be some people on this list who actually can sing, so it's not all bad.

Some of the people who are far up on that list may be good musicians, but not great singers.

What if there's more to what makes a great singer than actual singing ability?

The list was composed mostly by professional musicians, people who know a lot more about music than any of us; I gave you a list of some of the voters. I think it's safe to say 90% of the people who voted know a hell of a lot more about music than nearly everyone here

That list is bullshit.

The fact that Cobain is in there (whom I like as a singer), but much better vocalists from that era like Eddie Vedder, Chris Cornell and the amazing Layne Staley are not only heightens up the bullshit-meter.

That list is bullshit.

The fact that Cobain is in there (whom I like as a singer), but much better vocalists from that era like Eddie Vedder, Chris Cornell and the amazing Layne Staley are not only heightens up the bullshit-meter.

Chris Cornell was one of the people who made the list; I guess he forgot to nominate himself...

granted, I am a seriously biased pearl jam fanatic, but Eddie objectively (haha) deserves a spot in the top 25. Listening to the pearl jam live catalogue gives true appreciation as to how gifted a singer he is.

And honestly, although he probably does not technically qualify, but I think Edge makes this list...yep, edge. Maybe at #32.5 based on the Sarajevo show alone.

What then, uniqueness? Or is this another veiled "greatest music-related people on earth" list?

Bob Dylan > Otis Redding cracks me up.

two things:

First, it's pretty obvious that vocal ability was not the only factor deciding this list - Lennon and McCartney alone, while great song writers, do not have the best voices in music... Same goes for Jagger or Jannis Joplin ( :huh: )…

Second, (not directed at you, Mel) let's take a look at who voted for this list:

The 100 Greatest Singers of All Time : Rolling Stone

It clearly is not just the staff at RS but rather a wide range of musicians and journalists...

John Lennon made a career out of singing with a scratchy voice. Sometimes he would even sing on his back after a long day to sound extra scratchy. Yet, when Bono tries to sound scratchy, we here complain about how his voice is gone. :shrug: Seems to me it's just another voice for Bono (to go along with his many personalities).

As for this list, I agree - there are great talents there, but in terms of soulful, powerful singing, I disagree with the order. Dylan is a brilliant writer (except for the grammatically incorrect "Lay Lady, Lay") but I've always thought he was one of the worst singers I've ever heard. Yet he's in the Top 10 - amazing. Plus, many here have already pointed out the numerous oversights.

Therefore, it seems this list is more that just vocal prowess, but rather, overall vocal talent and influence and impact on the world. In that case, I would rank Bono far higher as his singing style has been very influential, but at least my theory would explain why McCartney is so high.

Eh, it's just a list - a list I didn't vote in. So I won't let other's views upset me. :yes:

Nice to see something positive written about Bono for a change Billie Joe did a great job. Bono did a nice job too on Dylan.

I'm surprised at some of the people and their position on the list. Like Annie Lenox, I think she has a fabulous voice.

Thats a really nice piece on Bob Dylan by Bono. I would put Dylan in the top 100 but not 7.

No Frank Sinatra? And I'm sorry, and I know he's only been singing in the spolight for a few years now, but Jim James from My Morning Jacket is in the top 100. Dude's voice is amazing

But wheres David Coverdale?

They already have Robert Plant. They don't need a Robert Plant wannabe. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I am not a guy who like cheesey music, but Micheal Bolton may not write and sing the most deep things. But he got a voice

He does indeed have a voice .... that sounds strained and constipated.

Natalie Merchant

Oh lord, no. For some reason, her voice didn't bother me with 10,000 Maniacs, but when she went solo, everytime I hear her voice, it sounds to me like she's juuuuuuust under pitch. It drives me insane.

I might be the only one here (besides Axver) who doesn't think Eddie Vedder should be on the list. But yeah, silly list, no point in bitching etc etc etc, but since I'm here ...

Where the heck is Emmylou Harris? FAIL.

Nice, I liked it. I would only change "even John Lennon" to "and certainly John Lennon". Bono has always been extremely influenced by John Lennon, especially in the 80's.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom