RIP Dockers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RogueVox

Babyface
I wasn't sure if this was the best place to post it, but it's the only place that I can think of:

I'm not sure as of when, but the favourite local of the boys, and of half of Dublin, appears to have closed its doors for the last time.

The shutters are down, the phones are off.

RIP Dockers, Sir John Rogerson's Quay. :sad:

That is the worst news.

When I was there recently, Gerry told be that it was for sale, and that there was a preservation order of some kind on it.

Until it's demolished I cannot accept that it's gone forever :sad:

Flash news just found...

Okay, on the plus side, for Dockers, I did think it was strange that with all this 'Thanks U2 for your support' etc.etc.etc. that it would just close down. So I did a little googling, and came across

Celebrity pub The Dockers for sale for ?3m
Licensed Trade:
Justin Comiskey

A development site with planning permission for a mixed use scheme at the famous Dockers pub at 4-6 Sir John Rogerson's Quay is for sale through CB Richard Ellis Gunne with a guide of ?3 million.

The site, in the heart of the south docklands area in Dublin 2 that is currently undergoing major residential and commercial development, offers easy access to the DART at Pearse Station, Grand Canal Harbour and occupies a prominent position on the south quays near the proposed Macken Street bridge.

***Planning permission for the site incorporates a public house of 450 sq m (4,844 sq ft), six two-bedroom apartments, retail space of 224 sq m (2,411 sq ft) and 174 sq m (1,873 sq ft) of office accommodation.***

The Dockers is one of Dublin's most famous pubs and has been in business for well over 150 years. It took its name and much of its custom from the once-bustling trade along the docks before Dublin Port was gradually moved upriver to its current location at the mouth of the Liffey.

"The Dockers is a strange pub," says its owner Christy Murphy. "We get very little local trade as such, apart from maybe the local offices for lunch. Most of our business comes from tourists to the nearby Windmill Lane studios. Bono and the boys come here a lot. We always seem to get a great deal of well-known faces in here. For example, Robert Redford was here, as was Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, Naomi Campbell and Liam Neeson. TV and film people always seem to stop by."

Stories about this old pub are many. U2 recorded most of their albums at the nearby Windmill Lane studios and, as Mr Murphy testifies, band members would often stop by for a jar or two during recording sessions. Bono once told a Late Late Show hosted by Gay Byrne about being in the pub's toilets where "I just couldn't get my act together" at the urinals. A local observed Bono's difficulties, approached the megastar and observed: "Stage fright, Bono."

Another story circulating about the Dockers involves a well-known member of the Government canvassing during European elections some time ago. She was introduced to an old lady at the bar as "someone who's in the running for Europe". "Oh yeah," said the old lady, "what does she sing?"

:---:

Now, I adore Dockers, but it's impossible to deny that the site that it was on was dodgy, the toilets needed work, and it was kind of run down. It was the atmosphere and the mood within it that made Dockers so perfect, but I don't think they'll ever be able to get rid of that. All to the left of it had hoardings up because of construction damage, so it looks like Dockers isn't dead, just sleeping.

Sorry yes it's Christie not Gerry, one of the few publicans I know that ever bought me a pint :)

.. and whatever happened to Paddy Dune?

RIP Dockers.

NOOOO :sad: !!!So what it was dodgy, I loved it that way! What are they going to do with all the graffiti in lady's loo? Thank goodness I took pictures, I can at least have a look sometimes! I just hope they won't turn into one of those glass and chrome monsters :mad: .

I meant mainly the bit all next to it - the broken windows and things like that. And I have a feeling if I come back, the graffiti will come with it...

Back
Top Bottom