Rewriting History With 'Saints' Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LyricalDrug

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I was looking for the official video for "The Saints are Coming" on youtube, but there are multiple versions posted. The videos contain different footage of the New Orleans rescue efforts. Some are more flattering (i.e., people waving signs saying 'Mission Accomplished', news banners saying 'Troops Greeted as Liberators,' etc.) than others, which are more bleak.

This made me suspicious. Why are there multiple versions? Obviously, there are tons of homemade U2 videos on youtube, and that's great, but I wonder if there are subtle political wars being fought and agendas being pushed by the people doing the editing.

For example, compare this one

http://youtube.com/watch?v=10xaDDZ1o14

to

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4dCTCh1kbis&mode=related&search=

There's different footage during the final 30 seconds.

What's up with that? Anyone know?

I don't know, you might be right. Perhaps they had multiples ready in case there was any controversy? I hope not. Are the multiples appearing anywhere else? Which one is on US music channels? I think it's among their best videos in ages and ages. A music video that actually makes a point - rare these days and I'm glad it's come from them. It seems strangely ballsy too, which is the only disappointment.

Okay I am officially a dork for responding to my own post, but I just googled the terms "Chris Milk" and "U2" and found this info about the original video (scroll below).

---------------

SWAY Studio Alters History for U2 and Green Day Video "The Saints Are Coming"
Provides Seamless, Photo-Real Effects for Thought-Provoking New Music Video About Hurricane Katrina

LOS ANGELES, CA -- (MARKET WIRE) -- November 20, 2006 -- SWAY Studio, one of North America's leading visual effects studios, announced today its contribution to the new U2 and Green Day music video entitled, "The Saints are Coming." For this powerful production, SWAY integrated many photo-real CG elements, including Harrier jets, Apache helicopters, Stealth Bombers and tanks into existing news footage from Hurricane Katrina. The result is a thought-provoking and emotional video that shows what it might have looked like had the government responded differently to the disaster.

Directed by Chris Milk of Radical Media, this controversial video was produced to raise funds for Gulf Coast musicians affected by the Hurricane Katrina disaster. "The Saints are Coming" has been featured on prominent newscasts such as CNN and is currently airing on VH1 and MTV. It can also be viewed online at mtv.com or vh1.com.

"This project had a very tight deadline of two and a half weeks from start to finish," said Mark Glaser, Owner and Creative Director at SWAY Studio. "This made our work particularly challenging because the CG elements that were integrated into existing news footage needed to have a very high degree of photorealism to be successful."

Working closely with Director Chris Milk, Glaser and his team worked meticulously to ensure all shots were done to the high level of detail and quality that was expected. SWAY's main challenge was to make the Iraqi Desert Storm aircraft and tanks look like they were actually there in New Orleans for the rescue and mass evacuation. Every shot was scrutinized, worked and reworked to ensure its believability -- all within a tight timeframe.

"SWAY also added video degradation to the CG elements so that they would match the original footage, which varied substantially from shot to shot," continues Glaser. "The most challenging was taking a shot of a flooded main boulevard and adding rows of tanks rolling through the water. We developed some incredible techniques to make this feasible."

SWAY utilized a variety of off-the-shelf and proprietary hardware and software to complete the project. The most prominently used tools were 3ds Max, V-Ray, Flame, NUKE and After Effects. All of the water effects were done using Real Flow 4.

"The Saints are Coming" is performed by U2 and Green Day, and directed by Chris Milk of Radical Media. All proceeds from the sale of "The Saints are Coming" will go to Music Rising, an instrument replacement fund for musicians located on the Gulf Coast. To watch the video visit: mtv.com or vh1.com. To obtain SWAY production images visit: http://swayftp.com/Saints_PR.htm.

About SWAY Studio

SWAY Studio is one of the top visual effects shops in North America. SWAY's aim is to help advertising agencies eliminate traditional views of how their products are seen and enable exciting new creative ideas. The goal is to create unforgettable imagery and to confuse the viewer into believing that everything is real with no thought about effects.

SWAY's proprietary software, the SWAY Driving Simulator has been used to create stunning visual effects and spots for Chevy, Mazda, Pontiac, Hyundai, Hummer and Toyota. This software replicates the performance of any vehicle with complete precision.

In addition to their commercial work, SWAY has begun visual effects work on their first feature film titled "Mr. Brooks," starring Kevin Costner and Demi Moore.

Currently located in Westwood, Calif., SWAY is moving its headquarters to Culver City. For additional information on SWAY Studio, visit its website at www.swaystudio.com.

SWAY CREDITS - U2 and Green Day "The Saints Are Coming"

Creative Director: Mark Glaser
Executive Producer: Mike Pardee
Executive Producer: Shira Boardman
Producer: Matt Winkel
Production Coordinator Daughn Ward

Flame Artist/ Compositing Lead: Ben Looram
CG Supervisor: Wayne England
Artists 3D: Richard Wardlow, Rob Meyers, Aaron Powell, Daniel Buck, Rob
Glazer, Josh Hooker, John Allardice, Greg Tsadilas

Compositing: Ryan Gibson, Maciek Sokalski, Chris Bankoff, Feli DiGiorgio,
Lauren Mayer-Beug

Technical Directors: Graham Fyffe, Carlos Anguiano

Rotoscoping & Paint: Lyndal Heathwood, Edgar Diaz, Christine Felman

I.T. dept: Nick Swartz, Kevin Beier

Production Assistants: Nick Mayer, Jessica Anderson

All brand names, product names, service marks or trademarks belong to their respective holders.

I knew the video had used something like that to make those things happen, but that's a lot more information than I had. Good find. :up:

phillyfan26 said:
I knew the video had used something like that to make those things happen, but that's a lot more information than I had. Good find. :up:

Thanks. Yeah, when I first saw this video last week, I was completely baffled. (I assumed the video footage was real.) I kept thinking, wow, the US government doesn't look half bad here, actually. Then I thought, was that really the message that Edge and Green Day (radical punk band from Berkeley!) would want to send -- that the federal government's response to Katrina was heroic?

This video is awesome. It's probably the most overtly political I've seen U2 since the mid 80's, and that's pretty exciting to me. Back in the 80's, they would criticize Reagan, Thatcher, and were CLEARLY known as leftists/Democrats/liberals. Lately they've been more careful, mostly due to Bono's work on Africa, and the need to appeal to everyone.

I'm sure working with Green Day had a lot to do with it! :)

LyricalDrug said:

Thanks. Yeah, when I first saw this video last week, I was completely baffled. (I assumed the video footage was real.) I kept thinking, wow, the US government doesn't look half bad here, actually. Then I thought, was that really the message that Edge and Green Day (radical punk band from Berkeley!) would want to send -- that the federal government's response to Katrina was heroic?

This video is awesome. It's probably the most overtly political I've seen U2 since the mid 80's, and that's pretty exciting to me. Back in the 80's, they would criticize Reagan, Thatcher, and were CLEARLY known as leftists/Democrats/liberals. Lately they've been more careful, mostly due to Bono's work on Africa, and the need to appeal to everyone.

I'm sure working with Green Day had a lot to do with it! :)

maybe i'm misreading, but at the end of the video, isn't there a sign that says, "AS NOT SEEN ON TV," and that the video is a huge F-you to the US government for their failure to effectively respond to Katrina? that the video is what should have happened, as opposed to what actually happened?

or maybe i missed something. but i've only seen the video once, and that's what i thought.

Yes, it's a "what should have happened" scenario, basically the military using their overwhelming 'force' to drop supplies, rescue people etc. Double edged as well with references to Iraq (a newsflash saying troops redirected from there, using "Mission Accomplished" as a slogan for success in New Orleans etc). It's very good. Very effective.

Irvine511 said:

maybe i'm misreading, but at the end of the video, isn't there a sign that says, "AS NOT SEEN ON TV," and that the video is a huge F-you to the US government for their failure to effectively respond to Katrina? that the video is what should have happened, as opposed to what actually happened?

or maybe i missed something. but i've only seen the video once, and that's what i thought.

Yep, you got it. (I didn't at first.) It's an awesome video, and definitely a huge F-you to the government response.

LyricalDrug said:
:bump:

anyone know which of those youtube links is the actual, official video? is it the one with the 'mission accomplished' banner?

Okay, looks like they are both official - the new WITS single info was announced today, and there is a bonus DVD, where one of the tracks is 'Saints' with "extra special effects." That must mean it's that second youtube clip.

Back
Top Bottom