Review: Vertigo 2005//U2 Live From Chicago*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://forum.interference.com/gallery/data//585/112651_u2_vertigo_dvd-sml.jpg[/SIMG]
By Chrissi Blaesing

There's a chill in the air, the leaves are on the ground and the stores already have holiday music playing. All of this can mean only thing—a new U2 product has hit the shelves.

U2, no doubt having great success with the multiple versions of 2004's release of "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," have released two versions of the companion live DVD. The regular edition comes packaged with only the concert DVD while the deluxe version includes a second disc with the "Beyond the Tour" documentary, show designer Willie Williams's surveillance cuts and an alternate version of "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own" by Phil Joanou. I wish, however, that there had been a supreme deluxe version that had the members of U2 sitting down for a candid interview about the tour. Perhaps next time guys?

The extras on the bonus disc are a little disappointing with the exception of the "Beyond the Tour" documentary that includes some great interviews with Vertigo Tour personnel like manager Paul McGuinness, production director Jake Berry, Williams and, most interesting of all, an interview filmed in what appears to be a men's restroom with Gavin Friday (consultant/tour midwife). The documentary also features fan interviews the documentary shows a clip of U2 rehearsing "Trash, Trampoline and the Party Girl" prior to the May 10th show, Bono's 45th birthday. I also found the choices of songs played during the documentary interesting as well—"Crumbs from Your Table," "Lady with the Spinning Head," "Please" and "Acrobat" can be heard as backing tracks, all songs that any diehard U2 fan would love to hear live. It's nice to know someone in the U2 organization has a sick sense of humor.

The concert DVD contains footage from both the May 9th and 10th Chicago shows at the United Center directed by Hamish Hamilton, who previously worked with the band directing "Elevation 2001/Live From Boston" and "U2 Go Home - Live from Slane Castle." While the feel of "Vertigo 2005//U2 Live From Chicago" is very much in the same vein as the Elevation DVDs there are some notable differences. Having attended both of these shows in person I can attest that very little was has been dropped from the show itself, with the major exception of "Party Girl," a song that was performed both nights. In essence this is as close to actually being at a typical U2 show on the first leg of the Vertigo Tour as a fan can be without attending the show itself.

The songs themselves get center stage in this concert DVD and while the audience's presence is all encompassing, it's not the main focus. As Hamilton relayed in "Beyond the Tour" documentary, he wanted to, "Feel the love, don't give it a name" in regards to the audience. Hamilton also does a great job of portraying the band as not just Bono and three other musicians but as a true band, giving equal screen time to all four members. That being said, the standout performance of the DVD really does belong to bassist Adam Clayton. Gone is the barely interested, glued to side of Larry Mullen's drum kit Adam Clayton of the Elevation Tour, on this tour and in this DVD Adam struts, smirks, interacts and in general flirts with the audience better than any other member of U2. During "New Year's Day" Adam goes on walkabout around the ellipse, pausing to either wink at the audience or smile for the camera. Adam also creates one of the more memorable scenes with Bono at the tip of the ellipse during "Where the Streets Have no Name" where the singer gives the bassist a hug and a kiss prior to leaning on Adam while he sings the concert staple.

112651_u2_vertigo_dvd.jpg

The main set list itself has already been discussed ad nauseam on various U2 fan sites but it does translate well as a clear message on the DVD. The footage has more of a live feel to it than Hamilton's previous collaborations with U2. While the two shows have been spliced together, this DVD is more cohesive than the Elevation filming. The length of the DVD is also impressive clocking in at just shy of two hours and 20 minutes.

The show opens with a version of "City of Blinding Lights" that does a great job of translating the expectancy and pure drama of the song. "Vertigo" and "Elevation" do seem to stumble a bit with Bono's voice failing him especially during the latter song. While a perfect version of the songs is unfairly expected it is refreshing to see the band really "live." The majority of the people buying this DVD will be the diehards who want to see the live experience in all its glory and I think that U2 and Hamilton have realized this fact and have incorporated it into this DVD. The "Boy" set of early catalog songs that follows includes "Cry/The Electric Co." and "An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart" is where the band really achieves the desired lift off. Bono does a great job of playing to the audience, the camera, and the other members of the band during this set. At the end of "The Electric Co." he playfully bangs on the symbols on Larry's drum kit earning a surprised look from the drummer that would indicate that one only gets to touch the drum kit without Larry's express permission. The usual "Miracle Drug" introduction that, during the first leg of the Vertigo Tour, recalled Christopher Nolen, the cerebral palsy-stricken author who inspired the song, was dropped in favor of the May 9th version that saw Bono taking aim at the Chicago Tribune's critical review of the May 7th show.

The main set concludes with a pleasant version of "One" and shows the "Milky Way" of blinking cellular phones in the United Center, one of the segments of the show that the transition to film doesn't do justice. The first encore of the DVD shows the ZooTV opener that was characteristic of this leg of the tour and one of the best parts of the DVD. From the Zooropa baby opening to the stunning dancer Khelia during "Mysterious Ways" this encore is destined to be a fan favorite. The one drawback to the filming of this section is that Williams's stunning visuals that included the "Propaganda" poses of the individual band members and then a full band staring off into the middle distance during "Zoo Station" were not utilized to their fullest extent. The visuals for "The Fly" make it one of the songs that is best viewed from the upper tier of the arena and yet we were instead given close ups of the band members on the DVD. In all, these are only minor irritations in an exceptionally well-shot video. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the second encore translated onto film. While many fans believe that "All Because of You" is overexposed on this tour it really is fun to watch. The band obviously enjoys performing this song and it shows.

While the presence of "Original of the Species" in the set list has been sporadic on the tour to date, the version seen on the DVD is especially touching as the dedication to Bono's daughter, Jordan, whose birthday also falls on May 10th, is left in. The translation of "Yahweh" onto DVD format is by far the most pleasant surprise on the entire DVD. While the song was beautiful in the live setting on film, it is by far the most moving song in the entire set. The show ends with a great rendition of "40" that I'm sure all U2 fans will agree is great to finally have immortalized on DVD.

On the whole, “Vertigo 2005//U2 Live From Chicago” is a visually captivating and faithful DVD to U2 fans and collectors who enjoy watching the art of performance—especially a band like U2—who, to quote Bono at a recent California show—is “just getting started.” And all these years later, we’re still along for the ride.

Last edited:
Thanks for a great review! I was excited about this DVD since it's pretty close (if memory serves) to the set list of the Denver show. Wish I had known about the deluxe edition; I was surprised there were no bonus features on the disc I purchased. Now I know why!

Another superb piece of writing, Chrissi. :) I've watched the DVD twice now, once on a 56" widescreen TV and once on a smaller 25" TV but hooked up to a good audio system. The 5.1 audio is exceptional on this DVD. You feel like you are more in an area than you did with the Elevation DVD.

Everything Chrissi said in her review is (as usual) spot-on. I give Hamilton credit where credit is due. The tight shots and camera angles utilized were very, very good. The above the stage shot looking straight down was by far my favorite. And, like Chrissi said, there's obviously no attempt to "fix" Bono's failing voice in several songs. And I also agree that for the first time in any U2 concert film, Adam really looks like he's having a great time and the dvd showcases him.. just a superb job by Hamilton to capture that. This really was exactly what a die-hard U2 fan wants in a concert dvd. You pretty much get what a normal concert would sound and feel like.

My only gripe was the same one Chrissi pointed out. Hamish Hamilton, if you are reading this, please, please, PLEASE give us more wide shots during songs utilizing the Zoo TV graphics on the video board. The Zoo TV tour was all about imagery interacting with the music and the dvd needed more of the "wow"-factor during that encore. That really was my only disappointment in this dvd. Overall it gets a solid "A".

HelloAngel said:
I also found the choices of songs played during the documentary interesting as well—"Crumbs from Your Table," "Lady with the Spinning Head," "Please" and "Acrobat" can be heard as backing tracks, all songs that any diehard U2 fan would love to hear live. It's nice to know someone in the U2 organization has a sick sense of humor.

Hahaha! :lol:

:heart: Geek :heart:

I think the "Don't...become...a...monster...to...defeat...a monster" in the deluxe edition booklet is worth a mention? :cool: :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom