Review: U2 at the United Center in Chicago, May 10, 2005*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
By Chrissi Blaesing

Tuesday night’s show was, up until the final encore, a carbon copy of the previous night's. I was seated eight rows from the soundboard on Adam Clayton's side, giving me an interesting view of the inner workings of the U2 organization and the film crew. This show was also being filmed for the upcoming live DVD and director Hamish Hamilton was seen prior to the Kings of Leon set running around to various camera stations. Production designer William Williams and sound engineer Joe O'Herlihy were easily visible throughout the night, as well. I also spotted several of the band's family members along with Gavin Friday (who had a yellow legal pad that he was writing notes on) in the V.I.P. section that resembles a large adult playpen.

It was interesting watching the band members' family and friends taking in the show thousands of miles from home, sharing their loved ones with an arena filled with casual and diehard fans. I realize that the notion of traveling around the world and playing to sold-out crowds of adoring fans has its perks but, then again, the band, crew and their respective families are sacrificing the comforts of home to put on amazing shows for the fans. Now I'm not suggesting that we bow down and kiss their rings, as these are not by any means free concerts, but I do think that as U2 fans we need to recognize that this tour is happening because U2 wants to be able to connect with their audience.

All right, enough with the business, onto the show.

Stage manager Rocco was not present this night to warm up the audience, which I missed. Perhaps he could be the opening act for the third leg as no bands have been announced as of press time. Kings of Leon seem to be sounding better Tuesday, either that or I've just had a form of aversion therapy from listening to the group the past three nights. That being said, there are still songs where I can't figure out what exactly lead singer Caleb Followill is saying.

The general admission crowd seemed to be in good spirits in the ellipse. I saw birthday hats with Bono's picture on them (it was the singer’s 45th), another doomed beach ball that was confiscated prior to start of the concert, several signs and many homemade T-shirts wishing Bono a very happy birthday.

The opening set and the first encore were duplicates of the previous night with the band matching the intensity of that show. From my vantage point the stage design and lighting were truly a sight to behold. The arena lights had been taken over by Willie Williams' crew to full effect. Prior to "Zoo Station," the images of each band member projected onto the light curtains were very cool to see with the end result being a picture of the full band. Highlights of the opening set included Bono bringing up a young boy from the ellipse during "Into the Heart" and saying at the end, "My name is Paul, but I like to call myself Bono."

"New Year's Day" is once again becoming a favorite of mine as Clayton continues his new and surprising interaction with the audience and other member of the band. I'm starting to think that he should just start roaming the entire arena, going to the upper levels, the concession stands, through the general admission crowd, etc. The fans absolutely love the interaction and I'm guessing by the amused grin the bassist sported during his walkabout, he's enjoying himself as well.

The set of songs including "Miracle Drug," "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" and "Love and Peace or Else" saw the greatest hits crowd leaving for a beer run, a shame since these songs were arguably the strongest of the opening set. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" saw the audience fill back in, chanting along at high decibels. It's worth noting that the transition from "Sunday Bloody Sunday" into "Bullet the Blue Sky" is quite jarring, so much so that it could be intentional on the band's part. Once again the revised guitar solo in "Bullet the Blue Sky" is a standout performance by The Edge and was only slightly marred by my concern that the blindfolded Bono was either going to stumble or bypass the microphone and fall into the ellipse (none of the other band members seem to be too concerned so I'm guessing my fear is unfounded).

The night's inspiring version of "Where the Streets Have No Name" effectively dispelled the notion that the song is a warhorse that needs to be retired. Once again Bono and Clayton met in the center of the ellipse for a quick hug and a kiss before leaning against each other while The Edge and Larry Mullen Jr. held the song together.

The first encore featured the "Achtung Baby" set of "Zoo Station," "The Fly" and "Mysterious Ways," identical to the previous night with the exception of Bono reinstating the dancing girl portion of "Mysterious Ways" by bringing up a lovely and talented fan from the ellipse. The two then set off dancing (well the female fan was at least dancing, Bono was Bono-dancing) around the ellipse. The fan was respectful, gracious and very sweet, not overstepping any boundaries with Bono as more overzealous females fans sometimes do, or attempt to do.

At the end of "Mysterious Ways" the audience started chanting "Happy Birthday," punctuated with clapping for the singer who looked humbled by the sentiment. Afterward Bono muttered something along the lines of "Where is the Party Girl?" and proceed to bring Laura, the same fan from the pervious night, up for a full band rendition of "Party Girl" at the center of the ellipse. Laura handled herself with such grace and professionalism it made me very proud to be part of the U2 fan community.

The full band rendition of the song, to put it mildly, rocked. After the song was over Laura was able to meet each band member and walk halfway around the ellipse by herself to thunderous applause from the audience.

Prior to the second encore a Vertigo crewmember handed out revised set lists to the camera operators so I surmised that some changes had been made. The second encore started out predictably enough with a great version of "All Because of You" and then things started to get a little more interesting. Bono prefaced the introduction of "Original of the Species" by first dedicating the song to his daughter Jordan who shares his birthday. Bono further elaborated that the song is for all of their girls and one that he feels is probably the best song on the album, even though the band just hasn't quite figured out how to play the song just yet. The performance of "Original of the Species" disproved the latter statement—the song was beautifully delivered with The Edge on the piano assisting with backing vocals, absolutely sublime. Bono then stated that they were going to sing a "different kind of prayer" and prepared the audience for an Italian lesson into the word “encore,” stating the literal meaning is that you get to play the same song twice before stating that, "This one's for me." What followed was an amped up, heavy crowd participation version of "Vertigo" that had the United Center crowd on its feet and sing at high volume. Afterward the house lights didn't come back up for around five minutes, prompting many in the audience to believe that the band was coming back out. When the house lights did come back on they were met with protests from fans that didn't want the night to end.

Bono stated that filming was taking place Tuesday and that show was the Vertigo Tour. It couldn't have happened on a better night (or a better birthday).

Last edited by a moderator:
It was simply ONE of the BEST U2 concerts EVER!

I felt privileged, even blessed, to witness the depth of singing from the Heart and Soul that Bono gave us as his b-day present to all of us.

The Spirit definitely was in the house last night!:wink:

Defianetly a great show. Hope it's on DVD, too! Would love to watch the night unfold all over again. :D

A great review, Chrissi. And even though because I was there the previous night as well and, selfishly, was hoping for more changes, what the band delivered was rock solid.

What struck me most about this show was the performance of the Edge. He was great as usual on May 9, but on May 10, he was simply on fire. His solos during New Year's Day, Electric Co., and Bullet the Blue Sky -- not to mention The Fly and Mysterious Ways -- were exquisite. His work on Original of the Species, generally *not* one of my favorite songs from HTDAAB, gave me goosebumps.

We were trying to figure out what Bono said after the line in Vertigo (the first Vertigo, lol), where he says, "Just give me what I want, and no one gets hurt." It sounded like he added, "Jaggoff!" after that and we had a chuckle. Any theories?

The full-band version of Party Girl was a nice complement after Monday's seemingly impromptu improv performance by the "gorgeous giant" or whatever he called Laura. She was a trooper, to be sure, and now she's forever a part of U2 lore.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom