Review the movie you just viewed (all the way to) 11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea how Dod Mantle won for Slumdog... easily the ugliest film he's ever done. Extremely talented DP most of the time, though.

Somewhere was nice. Easily Coppola's strongest film, which is kind of faint praise. Her form and cinematic mood are excellent here, putting out some of the more entrancing visual compositions of the year. Still, as with the rest of her work, she doesn't really have much to communicate as an artist, which is fine as long as her work is this lovely. The bookends here really have to go though. Sledgehammer metaphor around an otherwise subdued and minimal affair.

I think they wanted to recognize Boyle's kinetic style and his use of the locations, I didn't find it to be an ugly film though the colors were rather harsh, but I'm not sure I'd have given it the award either.

As for 2007, I think it's likely Deakins cancelled himself out of the race with his other nomination for Jesse James. But yeah Purpleoscar I can agree with you on wanting to rewatch, very entertaining, I'll see it again in theaters soon.

To be fair, out of all those years he was nommed I think he only really deserved it for Kundun, TMWWT and for Jesse James. With the others, either the ultimate winner was more deserving (Seale, Pau) or there was another nominee (or non-nominee) who didn't get in.

I honestly would have been a little pissed if he had won for NCFOM. I thought Elswit's work was better.

Elswit's work for TWBB certainly tops No Country, though I might still favor Jesse James... eh, it's close. Edward Lachman's work on I'm Not There probably tops all of them personally, at least off the top of my head for what would have been eligible that year.

To be fair, the Academy Awards usually equate "oh look! pretty imagery!" with "Achievement in Cinematography". Brokeback over The New World? Pan's Labyrinth over Children of Men? Avatar winning when 90% of the film was made in a computer?

It's a category as political as any other, I think. Deakins split his own vote in '07, otherwise he would've won over Elswitt. That year was an embarrassment of riches anyway.

It'd be Jesse James or Diving Bell & The Butterfly for me in a toss-up, both astounding but completely different.

If it were in fact a matter of "Oh look! Pretty Imagery!," the nominations and winners would/should be a lot different than they usually are. In fact it's really just a matter of politics, as YLB points out. Which is a reason why I have a hard time wrapping my head around why so many people care so damn much about these awards to begin with. They're fun to follow, sure, like a horse race or something, but they really don't reflect the state of the art in any legitimate way.

I think the idea of following the Oscar horse race is as simple as wanting an event or show to quantify film for the year in the same way that sports do with an eventual champion. It's flawed, always will be, but it gives the mass audience something to rally behind.

No matter how much I hated last year's telecast for a multitude of reasons (The John Hughes circle-jerk, the Twilight'd "Horror" montage, the casting aside of the special awards winners, for starters), I'll continue to watch every year because it's an event that will always carry importance in one way or another.

More or less, sure. I'd debate the importance to an extent, but I see what you mean. Like I said, it's still fun to follow if ultimately sort of meaningless, and it gives me something film-related to talk about with my non-film-interested or merely casually interested friends and such.

Elswit's work for TWBB certainly tops No Country, though I might still favor Jesse James... eh, it's close. Edward Lachman's work on I'm Not There probably tops all of them personally, at least off the top of my head for what would have been eligible that year.

I don't think anything tops Jesse James in the last decade. The closest would be Lubezki, and I think I still admire Deakins' controlled imagery over the naturalistic stuff in The New World.

Both are damned amazing.

Back to the main topic, David O. Russell's Flirting with Disaster had me in hysterics. Not only did it manage to maintain a naturalistic tone throughout, but it did so while managing to escalate the stakes and tension with each character relationship as the film progressed. It's just really fucking funny and it never sacrifices humor for the types of emotional revelations that would normally occur in a what's now considered a standard sex comedy. Yeah, lessons are learned, but here we get to see Richard Jenkins tripping on acid and running through a desert "like the wind."

Like I said, fucking hilarious.

More or less, sure. I'd debate the importance to an extent, but I see what you mean. Like I said, it's still fun to follow if ultimately sort of meaningless, and it gives me something film-related to talk about with my non-film-interested or merely casually interested friends and such.

I think that it's become increasingly less important with the emergence of the Internet a viable form of criticism and the growing awareness and accessibility of film's global scope. I do agree with your points though.

It'd be Jesse James or Diving Bell & The Butterfly for me in a toss-up, both astounding but completely different.

Janusz won twice already so based on politics he probably won't win again unless he does something completely groundbreaking. A lot of the awards are given to movies that people like more or are secondary awards to give a bone to the best picture losers.

I don't think anything tops Jesse James in the last decade. The closest would be Lubezki, and I think I still admire Deakins' controlled imagery over the naturalistic stuff in The New World.

Both are damned amazing.

Right. I know what you mean. Personally, I do go for the more naturalistic, handheld, impressionistic stuff frequently. Of which Lubezki is pretty near the top. Along with Agnes Godard's work with Denis. At the same time my favorite might be the sort of work Doyle did on In The Mood for Love (along with the equally brilliant Lee Ping-bin, who did stellar stuff with Hou this decade) and The Limits of Control. Also prefer Sayombhu Mukdeeprom's work on Weerasethakul's last few features and shorts. Gotta send some love out to Dion Beebe's digital magic on Mann's films too. You mention Deakin's controlled imagery, which is extraordinary in that film, but I think I find some of that film just a bit too controlled or etched for my taste.

Janusz won twice already so based on politics he probably won't win again unless he does something completely groundbreaking. A lot of the awards are given to movies that people like more or are secondary awards to give a bone to the best picture losers.

Diving Bell is as close to groundbreaking as Kaminski has gotten, I don't see him topping it.

I'm not sure if that kind of thinking is true with the tech awards. Gustavo Santoella won like two years in a row, for Brokeback Mountain and Babel, if I'm not mistaken, and Thelma Schoonmaker won twice in three years for The Aviator and The Departed, giving her three total. In the 90's I think John Toll won back-to-back in cinematography IIRC. Colleen Atwood has two costume wins close together I think. And of course there's all the John Williams wins in music, only half of which were really deserved, if that many.

After a truly great two-pronged climax, I was a little disappointed by the coda of True Grit. Way too rushed, even if what was there was very nicely done.

Other than that, can't really complain, but like LMP said it wasn't anything phenomenal, and would probably rank on the lower end of their filmography for me. I love almost all their films so that's not exactly a smackdown. But I'd probably put everything above it save The Ladykillers, Intolerable Cruelty, and Burn After Reading.

Diving Bell is as close to groundbreaking as Kaminski has gotten, I don't see him topping it.

I love that movie and how it was shot but I remember when Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan came out. Those movies were so groundbreaking that practically any action movie with a shaky camera, strobing or any war movie that desaturates colours owes a huge amount to them.

After a truly great two-pronged climax, I was a little disappointed by the coda of True Grit. Way too rushed, even if what was there was very nicely done.

Other than that, can't really complain, but like LMP said it wasn't anything phenomenal, and would probably rank on the lower end of their filmography for me. I love almost all their films so that's not exactly a smackdown. But I'd probably put everything above it save The Ladykillers, Intolerable Cruelty, and Burn After Reading.

The passage of time in the second part of the climax reminded me of the part of The Night of the Hunter where the kids are traveling down the river, pretty overtly, I might add.

I'd put it in the same place.

I love that movie and how it was shot but I remember when Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan came out. Those movies were so groundbreaking that practically any action movie with a shaky camera, strobing or any war movie that desaturates colours owes a huge amount to them.

Not only are those two movies overrated (SPR moreso), but that cinematographic trend you mentioned is/was totally awful. It may have been fresh and effective in SPR (and I have MAJOR problems with the blood splatter on the lens), that visual approach wore out its welcome quickly thereafter.

The passage of time in the second part of the climax reminded me of the part of The Night of the Hunter where the kids are traveling down the river, pretty overtly, I might add.

I felt this as well, and not only were the visuals here otherworldly, but the contribution of the sound editor can't be overlooked. Skip Lievsay is often the Coen's secret weapon.

Not only are those two movies overrated (SPR moreso), but that cinematographic trend you mentioned is/was totally awful. It may have been fresh and effective in SPR (and I have MAJOR problems with the blood splatter on the lens), that visual approach wore out its welcome quickly thereafter.

I generally find it quite annoying, especially the "lets see things through the shaky point of view of a character with a camcorder" cinemotagrophy of "films" like The Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield etc.

Bruno Dumont's Hadewijch is maybe kind of extraordinary. Or absurd. Possibly/probably both.

Screenshots:
vlcsnap-480318.png

vlcsnap-481000.png

vlcsnap-481170.png

vlcsnap-481246.png

vlcsnap-481386.png

vlcsnap-481605.png

Really should have a random screenshot thread here too. Though I'm sure I'd probably be one of the only ones to use it.

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

Go on ... guess!

Har har har.

Had never seen it. Felt I should. I really enjoyed it. Huzzah!

HP and the Hallows part 1. Eh...

Better than Prince in adaptation, much weaker than Phoenix as far as Yates Harrys go. A better, stronger version of what they did with Goblet of the fire. Standouts: the animated bit and Ron Weasley.

A few bizzare moments

Sluggish pre-opening credits intro that could be avoided
GoF-ish overhyped acting: Malfoy, Voldemort screaming at Wormtail, Mr. Xenofilius at the end of their meeting...
Harry-Hermione dancing
lack of Dumbledore backstory and Harry's knowledge about Horcruxes
MTV-style sped up Bathilda Bagshot, 7 Potters and Malfoy Manor sequences. I hope Gringott heist is better

:angry:

How can you dislike the dancing scene, it's probably my favorite scene in the whole franchise. :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom