Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rr.jpg

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (dir. Julian Schnabel)

At last, I've finally managed to track this one down, and in a grand historic theatre in downtown Tampa on top of it.

This is a very powerful and moving film, yet unsentimental and far from manipulative. You would think a story about a guy paralyzed from head to toe (with the exception of his left eye) would be dry and boring--this was far from it. Much warmer and funnier than you'd expect, and directed with such zeal and creativity that it's as captivating as any summer action blockbuster.

Matthew Almaric and Marie-Josée Croze (both from Spielberg's Munich), as the patient and the therapist who devises a way to communicate with him, are standouts here, as is the legendary Max Von Sydow, playing the paralyzed man's homebound father in a small but very touching role.

The first 10-15 minutes are daring and superlative, giving you a POV through the man's eye as he comes out of his coma and is told what has happened to him. You only see what he sees, and it gives you a great filter to take in the rest of the film with. Eventually you are shown the rest of his world, which includes pre-coma flashbacks, as well as his daydreams and fantasies.

I just can't say enough about this, and will definitely have to take another look at my Top 10 list and Award nominees.

^ I've just returned from seeing it as well.

I'm a wreck.

Hands down the best movie I saw in the last 12 months.

Devastating, beautiful, breathtaking cinematography, incredible soundtrack (a U2 surprise in there for me).

Took my breath away.

lazarus said:
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (dir. Julian Schnabel)

At last, I've finally managed to track this one down, and in a grand historic theatre in downtown Tampa on top of it.

This is a very powerful and moving film, yet unsentimental and far from manipulative. You would think a story about a guy paralyzed from head to toe (with the exception of his left eye) would be dry and boring--this was far from it. Much warmer and funnier than you'd expect, and directed with such zeal and creativity that it's as captivating as any summer action blockbuster.

Matthew Almaric and Marie-Josée Croze (both from Spielberg's Munich), as the patient and the therapist who devises a way to communicate with him, are standouts here, as is the legendary Max Von Sydow, playing the paralyzed man's homebound father in a small but very touching role.

The first 10-15 minutes are daring and superlative, giving you a POV through the man's eye as he comes out of his coma and is told what has happened to him. You only see what he sees, and it gives you a great filter to take in the rest of the film with. Eventually you are shown the rest of his world, which includes pre-coma flashbacks, as well as his daydreams and fantasies.

I just can't say enough about this, and will definitely have to take another look at my Top 10 list and Award nominees.

Glad you finally saw it. I'd been waiting for you/Lance to see it and share your opinion of it. I posted a review a few weeks ago, I loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom