Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Muldfeld said:

I actually never saw Chaplin, but that's pre-severe rehab Downey, so I don't know if I'm as interested for silly reasons. Though it does have David Duchovny, and I'll almost see anything with him just because I'm a X-Phile.

I thought it was really good. He was even nominated for an Oscar for his performance.

Apparently Duchovney is in the credits (imdb.com), but I don't remember what part of the movie he was in. Very small part I'm guessing...

Premonition
9/10

I really like Sandra Bullock. I think she's a great actress and this movie kept me interested the entire time. The ending was incredibly sad though.

Sicy said:
Premonition
9/10

I really like Sandra Bullock. I think she's a great actress and this movie kept me interested the entire time. The ending was incredibly sad though.

Really?

That was one of the most poorly-reviewed films of the year, and my best friend (who's taste I hold in the highest esteem of anyone I know) thought it was one of the worst films he's seen in recent memory.

Just out of interest, would you mind elaborating on your thoughts and what aspects of the film inspired you to give it such a remarkable score?

Lancemc said:
That was one of the most poorly-reviewed films of the year, and my best friend (who's taste I hold in the highest esteem of anyone I know) thought it was one of the worst films he's seen in recent memory.

Wow. That's pretty harsh. I had no idea it got poor reviews. I dont really keep up on the movie scene. If a movie looks good to me I'll rent it or watch it on On Demand. Do you know why he felt that way?

Just out of interest, would you mind elaborating on your thoughts and what aspects of the film inspired you to give it such a remarkable score?

I'm not sure I can elaborate very well. I'm not a really good 'movie reviewer'. Just that there are very few movies that have me glued to the screen and that's how I was with this one. Just waiting to see what would happen next, or trying to figure out what was going on really, because it was one of those movies that jump around, but it wasnt like the others that jump around.. it was like she was living the same day over and over, but each time it was different. And she was like in a race with herself to save her husband from dying.. either that or trying to figure out why he died. I was a little disappointed in the ending, maybe because it made me want to cry :lol: but yeah I dunno, I just really liked it.. so did my friend... :shrug:

The Island
7/10

Decent, stylish sci-fi thriller. I liked the first half more, before it went into full-throttle action mode. Would have ranked it an 8, but the ending was so sappy, it needed to be knocked down a point.

I did like it much better than Equilibrium -- much more beautifully produced. And I suppose any movie with Steve Buscemi gets bonus points. Ewan McGregor was pretty good; Scarlett Johansson has done better. Neelix (from Voyager) was pretty cool!

Lancemc said:
[Premonition] was one of the most poorly-reviewed films of the year, and my best friend (who's taste I hold in the highest esteem of anyone I know) thought it was one of the worst films he's seen in recent memory.

The ridiculously lame ending could not save this irritating train wreck. The only good thing about Premonition was the Blooper Reel... unless you count that hottie Julian McMahon. Then the movie would have 2 good elements. 4/10

SeattleVertigo said:
The Island
7/10

Decent, stylish sci-fi thriller. I liked the first half more, before it went into full-throttle action mode. Would have ranked it an 8, but the ending was so sappy, it needed to be knocked down a point.

I did like it much better than Equilibrium -- much more beautifully produced. And I suppose any movie with Steve Buscemi gets bonus points. Ewan McGregor was pretty good; Scarlett Johansson has done better. Neelix (from Voyager) was pretty cool!

Logan's Run + Coma + Blade Runner + water + Michael Bay = the shitfest of The Island.

The cast is excellent, but they have absolutely nothing to work with and the "action" scenes were a joke.

I've seen quite a few films and I'm pretty bored at the moment, so I'll review them all.

Oldboy - Blah. It was all right. I guessed the ending pretty early on in the movie and it sort of ruined it for me.
4/10

Watership Down - Also known as the cartoon of rabbits featured in Donnie Darko. It was almost disturbing on some level. I suppose the book was better.
4/10

Shoot 'Em Up - I got dragged into seeing this. If it weren't for the fact that I crush on Clive Owen hardcore, I'd hate this movie.
3/10

3:10 To Yuma - Now THIS is a quality movie! I was completely invested in all the characters, right up to the tense ending. I can't wait for more movies like this.
9/10

The Object of My Affection - I thought this was a really well written script (based on a book, naturally :wink: ), and probably some of the best acting Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd have ever done.
7/10

LemonMacPhisto said:

Logan's Run + Coma + Blade Runner + water + Michael Bay = the shitfest of The Island.

The cast is excellent, but they have absolutely nothing to work with and the "action" scenes were a joke.

I dunno, I don't remember absolutely hating The Island and for a Michael Bay movie, that's high praise from me...

LemonMacPhisto said:

I was mostly laughing at the audio during the action scenes. When those big things were flying off the truck and landing on the highway, I was like, it would SO not sound like that.

elevated_u2_fan said:

I dunno, I don't remember absolutely hating The Island and for a Michael Bay movie, that's high praise from me...

The only Michael Bay I've enjoyed was Transformers and one that's mildly enjoyable is The Rock.

I'm glad you guys like The Island. I saw it at a 50 cent theater and almost wanted my money back. I love how they still play Xbox in the future and drink Coke and drive Dodge Rams. That's classy.

RedrocksU2 said:
Smoking Aces

4/10

Overdone. Great cast, though.
Jeremy Piven :yuck:

Now that was a let down. :down:

Kudos to Ryan Reynolds though. He's also great in Waiting...

Yep.
He was going out with who again? Alanis?

Actually Smoking Aces had a great trailer....but then again, so do most.

He split with her and now he's with Scarlett Johansson. Upgrade much?

Oh, and I finally saw Boogie Nights today and I'm still trying to soak in everything. It's at least a ***1/2 for me right now though.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I'm glad you guys like The Island. I saw it at a 50 cent theater and almost wanted my money back. I love how they still play Xbox in the future and drink Coke and drive Dodge Rams. That's classy.

7 from me is a C grade -- not that high.

It was a good mindless release for a night when I was pretty tired and could use something like that.

SeattleVertigo said:

7 from me is a C grade -- not that high.

It was a good mindless release for a night when I was pretty tired and could use something like that.

Oh, even better then. :up:

I go by a 4-star system:

* - absolute shit (Batman & Robin, Date Movie)
*1/2 - shit plus 1/2
** - decent for one view, albeit forgettable
**1/2 - good movie for at least one view, probably more
*** - solid flick, instantly re-watchable
***1/2 - almost classic, infinitely re-watchable or moving.
**** - fucking classic

each genre is rated differently, but it all turns out pretty even at the end.

RedrocksU2 said:
Boogie Nights introduced me to my favorite actor right now; Cheadle.

He and John C. Reilly were my favorites. Reed's speech about violence in films killed me.

Lancemc said:

I wonder what a 1 is then. :eek: or even 3 or 4 for that matter. :wink:

I'm used to using Netflix ratings -- on the 5-star scale.

Almost everything's 3-5 stars, with the rare 2. I've only ever rated one thing at 1 stars.

So I guess I wouldn't get down onto the lower end of the 1-10 scale very often.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Oh, and I finally saw Boogie Nights today and I'm still trying to soak in everything. It's at least a ***1/2 for me right now though.

What was your favorite scene in the film? There is one in particular that when I saw it instantly made it "One of those" movies...the sort of movie that becomes more than just a movie if you know what I mean. I'm curious if you had the same reation, and if so to what scene?

Lancemc said:

What was your favorite scene in the film? There is one in particular that when I saw it instantly made it "One of those" movies...the sort of movie that becomes more than just a movie if you know what I mean. I'm curious if you had the same reation, and if so to what scene?

Easily Little Bill snapping at the New Year's Eve scene. Everything about that scene (the one-take, music choice, timing in the film, William H. fucking Macy) is gold.

:D

Well watched, sir. Well watched.

I think that might be my favorite tracking shot from anything I've ever seen. The and best part was the scenes use as both a phylosophical and physical transition into the 80's. Ab-sol-lute-ly fucking brilliant.

Anyhow, I'd recommend watching

Hard Eight/Sydney
Punch-Drunk Love
Magnolia

now in that order for the full package. :up:

Thanks, sounds good. I'm really excited to PT out now.

RedrocksU2 said:
What you guys think of "Garden State"?

Part of it borders on brilliance and pretentious bullshit. I really did the soundtrack, Natalie Portman, Peter Sarsgaard, and the first half of the film, but the "good luck with the infinite abyss" scene really gets to me. After that, it sort of devolves into a standard bittersweet lovefest instead of the really awesome quirky indie drama it was before.

It's a tale of two halves for me, but the good outweighs the bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom