Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never really liked Connery as Bond. And yes, I have seen his best bond films. He's only ever considered the best because he was the first.

On top of that, the man isn't even British.

But seriously, Moore and Brosnan were both fantastic. But Craig is looking to be the best yet. He's already my favorite by quite a gap.

1408 was baller. It's just an overall enjoyable movie. I suppose it counts as a horror film. Love Cusack and of course Samuel L :up: i highly recommend it, I mean it's by no means a classic film but it's thoroughly interesting/entertaining. 8/10

Fantastic Four was mediocre... the Silver Surfer was badass but the movie overall was very meh to me. Good visually but very cheesy. I think I liked the first one better. 4 is probably the appropriate rating.

saw Ratatouile last weekend.. I give it a 10/10 for sure.. great flick. Nice story and :ohmy: on the graphics/technology of CGI and Pixar. I have to say they are geniuses with this hands down. Everytime I see one of their movies it gets better and better. The details in this film are amazing.. I literally forgot at several times throughout the movie that it was animated. Everything looked so real. The shimmering water, the details of the city, the shininess of the metal, the hairs on remy/rats.

If anything everyone should go see it for the amazing technology alone... wow wow wow...

Ever since the first Pixar movie, I've had the dream of working for that company.
On Monsters Inc.'s special features, they show the Pixar HQ and they show you around the building and what goes around on any particular day. Now that would be a cool job.
I love to draw, and seeing their movies and animation...(along with the story lines)...is just incredible.

Btw, anyone seen "The Iron Giant"? Very good.

watched "A Scanner Darkly" last night...at 1st I was annoyed with the annimation...but soon it was as though i felt I was watching the actual actors....but still can't help but feel...why not leave the actual actors for us to watch....It was pretty good though

RedrocksU2 said:

The Iron Giant is so, so good. It's a damn shame more people didn't see it when it was the theaters. It deserves to be ranked up there with the other films usually considered as the best animated features.

RedrocksU2 said:
Ever since the first Pixar movie, I've had the dream of working for that company.
On Monsters Inc.'s special features, they show the Pixar HQ and they show you around the building and what goes around on any particular day. Now that would be a cool job.
I love to draw, and seeing their movies and animation...(along with the story lines)...is just incredible.

Pixar :up:
I have seen all their films up to The Incredibles. Toy Story and Finding Nemo are my favorites.

And the Iron Giant too :rockon:
Favorite part is when he does the banzai drop in to the lake and causes that huge wave :lmao:

Idiocracy 6/10

Pretty darned silly, but a few good laugh-out-loud moments. And I always enjoy Luke Wilson.

We had lousy weather last night, so I watched the two movies I've had from Netflix for quite awhile. Hotel Rwanda was very difficult to watch, but it needed to be. I think the story was handled very well and developed sensitively. The massacre in Rwanda happened because the rest of the world would not pay attention. It's reassuring to see how the world has shifted in the 13 years since the massacre, and that we're not ignoring Africa the way we used to. 8/10

I think Jesus Camp might be one of the scariest movies I've ever seen. Not scary because of special effects or plot twists but scary because it's true. The movie centers around a summer camp for Evangelical Christian children that takes place every summer in North Dakota.

Before the camp, we see the children being homeschooled (where they say a completely different version of the Pledge of Allegiance and are being taught that global warming is a myth created by left-wing politicians). Then at the camp, the children often sob uncontrollably, and some speak in tongues. They're told that Harry Potter would've been sent to hell, and 12-year-old Levi preaches to the other campers in the same rhetoric and style the adult preachers use. On the last night of the camp, the children talk to a life-sized cardboard figure of the president, receive plastic replicas of a seven-week-old fetus, and chant and pray asking God to bring a rightgeous government to America.

Later in the movie, Levi journeys to Colorado to visit the megachurch of Evangelical preacher Ted Haggard (I wonder how Haggard's downfall was explained to him?) and he and his 9-year-old friend Rachel travel with a group to Washington DC, where they protest abortion and talk to the filmmakers about how they think being able to die for Christ was be awesome and cool.

While I think it's good to raise children with some sort of faith and values, the faith that Jesus Camp shows is nothing short of brainwashing. The filmmakers intersperse the story with segments from a religious program from Air America in which other Christians are logically criticizing the religious right. That's the closest to editorializing that the filmmakers come, and that's part of why I think the movie succeeds. 8/10

^ :up:
I too found Jesus Camp to be really scary. In the trailer (as well as the movie, if I remember correctly) she criticizes those terrorist groups who train their children to die for what they believe in, and in this very film the kids are saying the exact same thing. They might not be acting on it, like those in the terrorist groups sadly do, but I got the impression that they really meant it.
And all the other stuff they were saying was completely :coocoo: too.
"I got saved when I was 5 years old because I just wanted more out of life."
Uhh, yeah. I know plenty of depressed 5-year-olds who just want so much more out of life.
And the fact that so many of these kids are homeschooled. :crazy: Not that I have a problem with homeschool, but I definitely have a problem with teaching kids that there is only one right way to see things. It's the same trap that the innocent ones in terrorist groups fall into. Brainwash 'em young so that they know no other way.
===

I saw Children of Heaven recently and it was just beautiful. It takes place in Iran where this little boy loses his sister's shoes and then they have to share his shoes to go to school. All throughout the movie he's trying so hard to get her a new pair without letting their father know that he's lost the first one.
I just loved it.
10/10

Last edited:
Waiting...

An absolutely mindless and vulgar comedy, and it was great. I don't know how it happened, but Ryan Reynolds is actually funny? I know, it surprised me, too. Just an overall ridiculous and funny movie, easily rewatchable, too, but it's nothing spectactular.

**1/2 out of ****

BonoIsMyMuse said:
We had lousy weather last night, so I watched the two movies I've had from Netflix for quite awhile. Hotel Rwanda was very difficult to watch, but it needed to be. I think the story was handled very well and developed sensitively. The massacre in Rwanda happened because the rest of the world would not pay attention. It's reassuring to see how the world has shifted in the 13 years since the massacre, and that we're not ignoring Africa the way we used to. 8/10

I think Jesus Camp might be one of the scariest movies I've ever seen. Not scary because of special effects or plot twists but scary because it's true. The movie centers around a summer camp for Evangelical Christian children that takes place every summer in North Dakota.

Before the camp, we see the children being homeschooled (where they say a completely different version of the Pledge of Allegiance and are being taught that global warming is a myth created by left-wing politicians). Then at the camp, the children often sob uncontrollably, and some speak in tongues. They're told that Harry Potter would've been sent to hell, and 12-year-old Levi preaches to the other campers in the same rhetoric and style the adult preachers use. On the last night of the camp, the children talk to a life-sized cardboard figure of the president, receive plastic replicas of a seven-week-old fetus, and chant and pray asking God to bring a rightgeous government to America.

Later in the movie, Levi journeys to Colorado to visit the megachurch of Evangelical preacher Ted Haggard (I wonder how Haggard's downfall was explained to him?) and he and his 9-year-old friend Rachel travel with a group to Washington DC, where they protest abortion and talk to the filmmakers about how they think being able to die for Christ was be awesome and cool.

While I think it's good to raise children with some sort of faith and values, the faith that Jesus Camp shows is nothing short of brainwashing. The filmmakers intersperse the story with segments from a religious program from Air America in which other Christians are logically criticizing the religious right. That's the closest to editorializing that the filmmakers come, and that's part of why I think the movie succeeds. 8/10

I keep seeing it on the shelves at the store but can't bring myself to rent it or put it on my netflix queue. Too frightening. :|

BonoIsMyMuse said:

Later in the movie, Levi journeys to Colorado to visit the megachurch of Evangelical preacher Ted Haggard (I wonder how Haggard's downfall was explained to him?)

Haggard asked Levi something like, "Do they like you because of what you're saying or because you're cute?" and that was a great, great question, although I don't think either of them realized it.

I think the parents in this movie are guilty of child abuse. It's disgusting.

Ratatouille. 9/10.

I loved this movie, maybe more than any other Pixar film (sorry, Nemo). Intelligent and witty and the graphics are amazing. Great, 3D characters, just a perfect little movie.

Ma Vie En Rose 9/10
biopic about Edith Piaf

The telling of the story was a bit of a mess, but the actress playing Edith Piaf was stunning. I've always loved her voice and music but knew nothing about her fascinating childhood and overall tragic life. Really an amazing story. At nearly 2 1/2 hours, it's a bit long but I highly recommend it.

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart: A Film About Wilco

This movie follows the year of recording Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, as well as the fall-out that followed, both in the band (with the departure of Jay Bennett) and with Reprise Records, who dropped the band and gave them YHF to shop around to other labels.

A good look into the band's creative process, and it has some great performance footage. Even if you're not a big Wilco fan, it's worth seeing because of the way it examines creative vs. financial success in the music industry. 8/10

Austin Powers: International Man Of Mystery

Just a total classic. It had me rolling the whole time. :love:

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy."

Oh, and Elizabeth Hurley doesn't hurt the film either. :drool:

9/10

Cache (Hidden)

I cannot rate this movie because I totally don't understand what happened. I was sucked in, on the edge of my seat, appalled at one very specific "OH MY GOD" kind of scene ... and I totally don't understand what I was supposed to take away from the ending.

WHO WAS MAKING THOSE TAPES????

LemonMelon said:
Austin Powers: International Man Of Mystery

Just a total classic. It had me rolling the whole time. :love:

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy."

Oh, and Elizabeth Hurley doesn't hurt the film either. :drool:

9/10

The last half of that monologue is still pretty amazing.

"My childhood was typical... summers in Rangoon... luge lessons. In the spring, we'd make meat helmets."

LemonMacPhisto said:

The last half of that monologue is still pretty amazing.

"My childhood was typical... summers in Rangoon... luge lessons. In the spring, we'd make meat helmets."

"At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it."

That was fun to quote as an 8-year-old... y parents and teacher loved it, that's for sure.

anitram said:
Ratatouille. 9/10.

I loved this movie, maybe more than any other Pixar film (sorry, Nemo). Intelligent and witty and the graphics are amazing. Great, 3D characters, just a perfect little movie.

Just got back from seeing this and I agree wholeheartedly. The graphics alone are just stunning - but it's the storytelling that Pixar always seems to nail. Just the right mix of humor, wit and heart.

Thank You For Smoking 8.5/10

Aaron Eckhart stars as a lobbyist for the tobacco industry, the self-proclaimed "sultan of spin," who struggles to balance playing a large role in his son's life with the work that makes him public enemy #1.
The movie has a great supporting cast including William H. Macy, Katie Holmes, and Robert Duvall. It's satirical, but it has a strong emotional center, too. Netflix recommended this one to me, and I liked it a lot more than I expected to.

They were great. I really liked how the movie played with stereotypes. Most of the characters were slimeballs, but lovable ones.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
Thank You For Smoking 8.5/10

Aaron Eckhart stars as a lobbyist for the tobacco industry, the self-proclaimed "sultan of spin," who struggles to balance playing a large role in his son's life with the work that makes him public enemy #1.
The movie has a great supporting cast including William H. Macy, Katie Holmes, and Robert Duvall. It's satirical, but it has a strong emotional center, too. Netflix recommended this one to me, and I liked it a lot more than I expected to.

I concur! My friends had seen it and said it was good. Caught it on cable a few weeks ago :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom