Review: DVD: 46664 Concert*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://www.u2.com/images/s_news_240204_cd.jpg[/SIMG]
By Simone Schramm

The most unforgettable moments from the historic 4 1/2-hour 46664 concert held on Nov. 29, 2003 have now been put on DVD and CD for your viewing and listening pleasure.

The concert raised money and awareness for 46664, Nelson Mandela's global anti-AIDS campaign and featured top-notch artists such as Bono and The Edge, Peter Gabriel, The Corrs, The Eurythmics and Beyonce.

The three CDs, which can be bought separately, are entitled "46664 Part 1: African Prayer," "46664 Part 2: Long Walk To Freedom" and "46664 Part 3: Amandla."

s_news_240204_cd.jpg

Performances include Bono, The Edge, Dave Stewart and Beyonce?s rendition of "American Prayer," Peter Gabriel and Yusuf Islam (formerly known as Cat Stevens) on "Wild World," and "46664 (Long Walk To Freedom)" performed by Bono, The Edge, Stewart, Youssou N'Dour, and newcomer Abdel Wright.

s_news_120304_46664.jpg

The double-disk DVD entitled "46664-The Event" captures the entire show and features extras such as a "making of" documentary, artist interviews, statements by world leaders, 12 one-minute videos by visual artists, a photo gallery, and Mandela's powerful and uplifting address to the audience.

"We are thrilled to be working in partnership with Warners to release three CDs and double DVD. We are looking forward to working with them to build on the enormous success of the 46664 event and continue to raise awareness of the devastating effect that AIDS is having worldwide. We are confident that massive global sales will generate significant sums to support the work of the Nelson Mandela Foundation," said JF Cecillon, 46664 co-producer.

The 46664 campaign was launched to increase awareness of the global HIV/AIDS pandemic, and to raise funds for South Africa with proceeds going to the Nelson Mandela Foundation. The initiative is the largest call to action for HIV/AIDS in history.

The CD and DVD are on sale now at retail outlets and at www.rhino.com for a suggested retail price of $18.98 for per CD and $24.99 for the DVD. The items are also available at amazon.com for a retail price $15.99 per CD and $21.74 for the DVD.

For more information on the 46664 campaign, visit www.46664.com and U2.com.

Thanks, Simone, VERY MUCH for your review of the CD collection from the MAGNIFICENT 46664 concert!;)

I haven't yet been able to find it in my area, but then I have been fairly busy. I will DEFINITELY redouble my efforts to find and purchase this collection of heartfelt performances by some of the BEST of today's musicians.:up:

46664 will go down in music history as one of the historic musical moments/concerts - like LiveAid, the Concert for Bangladesh, even Woodstock! :heart:

I hope we all go out and purchase as many of the CDs as possible to support the Nelson Mandela Foundation and the struggle against the AIDS pandemic in Africa!:hug:

PEACE AND LOVE....WITH JUSTICE.:edge: :bono: :love:

Hi there!
YOu are right! The DVD is AWESOME! That One'Unchained Melody medley that Bono does so well reminds me the wonderfull ZooTV times!! Oh...how I miss those days!!!
But I was thinking...is the money earned from selling cd's and DVD's also used to help those people in Africa?
I hope so!!

Love
Tania

my_kite said:
But I was thinking...is the money earned from selling cd's and DVD's also used to help those people in Africa?
I hope so!!

From the booklet that comes with the DVD:

'The proceeds raised by 46664 will go towards improving the lives of those infected and affected by the HIV/AIDS pandemic....the money will be used in four key areas: research; treatment, care and support; education; and leadership. In particular, the proceeds from the 46664 campaign will be used to initiate, develop and support practical programmes for the prevention, testing, care and support for those infected and affected by HIV/AIDS'

This quote is from John Samuel, Chief Executive of the Nelson Mandela Foundation.

Back
Top Bottom