Reading is Sexy: Books Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are right, although I haven't finished reading Northen Light or Harry Potter series :reject:
but other "Classic" childrens books I've gone back to read lately have just put a whole new spin on life and kick started my imagination more

Over the past few years, I've started reading the occasional young adult novel. Some of them have been quite good.

Big Boned by Heather Wells

I am incapable of passing up a Meg Cabot novel, no matter how silly they are. I love 'em. Even the ones I don't like. (... or something.)

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

I went into this book not having one clue as to what it was about, as the back of the book only had other authors raving about it. I wasn't sure I liked it, and even a quarter of the way into it, I wasn't sure. But I kept reading, and finished the second half in one sitting, so I suppose I did like it after all.

Ok, not exactly loving The Handmaid's Tale here. Almost done with it, but yeah...

Finished it, and it promptly went into the pile for the garage sale. It could have gone in so many other directions, I thought. Maybe I should have started out with something a little lighter this summer. :p

I'm also reading a biography of Vivian Leigh's life, interesting so far.

Tom Robbins was at the Barnes & Noble in West Hollywood today. I've never seen the man in person and was pretty excited as he's a bit of a hero of mine. He read from his new book "B is for Beer" (you know...for kids!) and answered a handful of questions. Very funny, and spoke in metaphors just like his writing.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to wait around to get a book signed. It would have been nice to meet him, but to see him in the flesh was enough. Cori you're lucky to be living in the same city as this gift to literature.

514060617_8ec44f90b4_o.jpg

:heart::applaud:

Tom Robbins lives around here? Huh, I had no idea.

I've never read anything by him, but intend to. I have one of his books on my to-be-read shelves at home that was recommended to me, but I can't think of which one it is off the top of my head.

Ok, not exactly loving The Handmaid's Tale here. Almost done with it, but yeah...

This was mandatory reading for us back in high school and I remember really disliking it at the time. I re-read it when I was about 25 and I liked it a lot better then. I wonder if it improves the second time around.

This was mandatory reading for us back in high school and I remember really disliking it at the time. I re-read it when I was about 25 and I liked it a lot better then. I wonder if it improves the second time around.
You know, anitram, I think that's a good thought. I think you do have to be older to appreciate "Handmaiden's Tale". I think that, as a teenager, you may not quite understand feminism, its ideas, and such. As we get older, we are more likely to experience things, such as discrimination in the workplace, getting overlooked for a promotion because of our gender, and we also view ourselves differently. Different things become important for us. As an older woman, I can relate to the female characters now.

I finished a really good book about John Coltrane today and will be starting J.D. Salinger's Nine Stories tonight or tomorrow.

After not doing so for a long time, I've been using the public library here since the start of the year. Not only have I spent next to nothing on books so far this year, but I find that it's making me more adventurous in my reading, too.

I finished a really good book about John Coltrane today and will be starting J.D. Salinger's Nine Stories tonight or tomorrow.

After not doing so for a long time, I've been using the public library here since the start of the year. Not only have I spent next to nothing on books so far this year, but I find that it's making me more adventurous in my reading, too.

Woo, I read so much more now that I'm library obsessed than when I used to buy a ton of books, I still look at lots of books on my shelves that I haven't read, but I devour library books. Now I only purchase books I've read and cherish, or the rare release from an author I adore that's current.

Tabloid Love by Bridget Harris

Bridget, a Brit, moves to New York to work for the New York Post and ends up writing a dating column. A little Bridget Jones meets Sex and the City, without the complete irritation of Bridget or (insert your least favorite quality of SatC here).

I enjoyed it.

I just picked up William Maxwell's So Long, See You Tomorrow to read in between my research/work.

I actually went with the Sonic Youth biography Confusion Is Next, which I'm almost finished with, then it will be on to Nine Stories later tonight or tomorrow. I realized my library books are due Tuesday, so I don't have much time to get through it.

I read a book recently called In the Woods. It was great up until the end. It's got two mysteries going on simultaneously, and it was very frustrating that it didn't come close to solving one of them. Many amazon etc reviewers agree with me. The author wrote a 2nd book with some characters from the first but not touching the same mysteries, so I am hoping she will churn out another one eventually that solves the mystery. In some ways the point was about memory being imperfect and not all mysteries being solvable, kind of like a book version of The Wire in it's attempt at reality and not tying up lose ends and not leaving everyone in perfect places or happily ever after, but extremely frustrating as a reader not to have that payoff! Enjoyed it up til that point, though.

Recommendation: If you want to read it, wait until she's got the proper sequel written so you can open it as soon as you finish In The Woods! Otherwise quite enjoyable and definitely a page turner.

I saw that book when it came out in paperback and was really intrigued by it. It's still languishing on my "to read" list, but maybe I'll bump it up higher and find a copy.

:up:Coltrane! :drool:

Kerouac! I haven't thought about him in years.

I read him in college. I like him. Interesting writer.

Cult classic, Kerouc is.

Tabloid Love by Bridget Harris

Bridget, a Brit, moves to New York to work for the New York Post and ends up writing a dating column. A little Bridget Jones meets Sex and the City, without the complete irritation of Bridget or (insert your least favorite quality of SatC here).

I enjoyed it.

This book sounds interesting, good vacation reading material maybe.

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory.

I'm really enjoying this but has taken me quite a while to get through due to lack of time. Should have managed to finish it by Monday.

The Family Man by Elinor Lipman

Mildy amusing, upper-crust NYC society, mild scandals, family drama, etc etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom