Reading is Sexy: Books Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ahhhh me too! :heart: one of my friends has connections to a borders around here, so she got an advance copy of the new book - it's so advance it doesn't even have a picture for the front page :hyper: i've been pestering her to finish it up already so i can read it! :lol:

I've read every single book of hers, except for Second Glance, which I just could not get into.

yeah, that's the one about the ghost?? :hmm: as i recall, it was kinda scary - for me at least :wink:

i tried songs of the humpback whale a bunch of times, and i couldn't get into that for whatever reason :shrug:

I loved that book! It was definetly hard to follow at first, what with Rebecca going backwards in the events. And Joley creeped me the fuck out. :|

I'd have to say that Nineteen Minutes and The Pact are my two favorite Jodi Picoult books.

My team won a charity book quiz last night. I had most of the books we won so I auctioned them for the charity, but I came home with a nice stack of art books from the art round.

I never win anything! :hyper:

How were you able to read it? Mirrors?

What a stupid question. Obviously, I had the procedure done after I had finished it. I had it glued to my hands while I was reading it.

I mean, like, duh!

I think she means she's very bendy. :wink:

My team won a charity book quiz last night. I had most of the books we won so I auctioned them for the charity, but I came home with a nice stack of art books from the art round.

I never win anything! :hyper:

That's awesome! Winning books is probably one of the best things you could ever win! :drool:

Just finished The Glass Castle.

I enjoyed the book and it was alternately mindboggling and horrifying to read some of the things in there. I'd recommend it, with the only real criticism being that I thought the ending was rushed. I never really got a sense of what happened to the kids once they moved to NYC or the people they became. Since that wasn't the focus of the book I'm willing to forgive it, but it did leave me a bit unsatisfied.

I enjoyed the book and it was alternately mindboggling and horrifying to read some of the things in there. I'd recommend it, with the only real criticism being that I thought the ending was rushed. I never really got a sense of what happened to the kids once they moved to NYC or the people they became. Since that wasn't the focus of the book I'm willing to forgive it, but it did leave me a bit unsatisfied.

Glad you see you recovering from whatever was ailing you before.

Greetings ladies and gentlemen,

I've just finished reading The Stone Gods by Jeanette Winterson. An excellent book. Someone was asking after dystopian novels, this is one although it isn't your ordinary dystopian novel. Beautifully written, it is full of dark humour but at the same time it retains a poignant quality. A thoroughly enjoyable and thought provoking book.

Agree wholeheartedly. I loved the book, but I was a little frustrated with what the ending lacked.

I have a few hundred pages worth of student work to read this week, and what did I do today? Check five books out of the library. :hyper:

You really have to come post something in the Shuttlecock thread just to show off that icon. It's pretty damned glorious.

In reading news, I just have NOT been in the mood to read. And I keep picking up books I end up not liking very much. It's been a bad stretch, book-wise.

I just finished Heat by Bill Buford, which got a great big "meh" from me. It was fantastically written, but he turns into sort of a jerk about halfway through it, so I lost interest and took way too long to finish it.

My library books are:
Franny & Zooey by J.D. Salinger (how I haven't read it by now I have no idea)
Candyfreak by Steve Almond
A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain
Blindness by Jose Saramago
Kim Addonizio's new novel that I'm skeptical about and can't remember the name of

Oh my gosh, I loooooooooooooved Candyfreak. It was so much fun.

Unfortunately, everything else I've read by Steve Almond, I haven't liked nearly as much. In fact, I even kind of dislike him now.

He's definitely a little uneven. There were stories in both of his collections I really liked and ones I really didn't. He's a really nice guy, though. He was the keynote fiction reader at a conference I helped to organize a few years ago, and he talked with me for quite awhile and gave me some great advice on my dissertation. I'll get around to reading his other essay collection at some point, but my local library doesn't have it.

You really have to come post something in the Shuttlecock thread just to show off that icon. It's pretty damned glorious.

I literally JUST put down the new issue of RS before opening this thread and wondered how long it would be before that picture ended up as someone's avatar.

:lol:

I figured it I was going to change my avatar for the first time in years, I might as well make a bold statement :wink:

corianderstem's new signature is pretty awesome, too :lol:

The Commoner by John Burnham Schwartz

In post-war Japan, the Crown Prince picks the narrator as his princess, and she goes from commoner to royalty. Think she's happy? Three guesses, the first two don't count.

I really wanted to like this book, but it was really tedious.

I Started Anthony Bourdain's A Cook's Tour last night. I read the first two sections and am not sucked in yet like I was within the first few chapters of Kitchen Confidential. Then again, it may have been the fact that he completely derailed my attention when he remarked that you never forget the first time you ate caviar off of someone's nipple.

Wait...what? :der:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom