Rattle And Hum 25th Anniversary Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reissued, remastered & given the deluxe treatment. Separate the live and studio stuff like they should have to start with. Put all the studio tracks (including the b-sides) from the R&H era onto one disc, and ALL the live tracks from the film on another. Call the studio disc "Rattle & Sun" and call the live disc "Outside it's America". Include the old fan club Point Depot disc as well. Unfortunately, restoring & including an expanded version of the R&H film in such a set is a little more complicated b/c Paramount owns all that footage, but a full video of a Lovetown performance, which U2 does own, would be nice as well.
Reissued and given the deluxe treatment, ok. Please, don't remaster this sob. If you hear it on vinyl, it's the best U2 vinyl in terms of sound and one of the best vinyls from the 80's. Like AB, it is NOT in need of a remaster (specially like they are doing it these days, leaving no room for space and dynamics). And please, we don't need another casualty in the loudness war...

Reissued, remastered & given the deluxe treatment.

Separate the live and studio stuff like they should have to start with. Put all the studio tracks (including the b-sides) from the R&H era onto one disc, and ALL the live tracks from the film on another. Call the studio disc "Rattle & Sun" and call the live disc "Outside it's America". Include the old fan club Point Depot disc as well.

Unfortunately, restoring & including an expanded version of the R&H film in such a set is a little more complicated b/c Paramount owns all that footage, but a full video of a Lovetown performance, which U2 does own, would be nice as well.

I have to think U2 has enough clout that if they called Paramount and said 'We're interested in releasing all that footage in your vaults, let's work something out that would be mutually beneficial', that Paramount would at the very least listen, seeing as U2 is usually a safe financial bet.

In my original post, I mentioned the two Denver and two Tempe shows that were recorded for R&H, but I had forgotten about the other shows that were filmed but not used at all in the film - Foxboro Stadium in Foxboro, Massachusetts(9/22/87, b&w), JFK Stadium in Philly(9/25/87, b&w), MSG(9/28/87, b&w), Boston Garden(9/18/87, color), and the Long Island beach rehearsals(10/19/87).

It seems like there is a veritable treasure trove of footage sitting in a vault somewhere, and it would be a shame if it never saw the light of day.

At the very, very least, the One Tree Hill performance from Tempe that was released on the Best Of 1980-1990 VHS should be included on any R&H re-release, imo.

I have to think U2 has enough clout that if they called Paramount and said 'We're interested in releasing all that footage in your vaults, let's work something out that would be mutually beneficial', that Paramount would at the very least listen, seeing as U2 is usually a safe financial bet.

U2 know what time it is in the world. They released four remastered albums in the run up to NLOTH (as well as UABRS), with Achtung and Unforgettable Fire getting worked on and released during a massive tour. If they haven't done it, either A) they don't want to or B) they don't think it's a wise financial decision.

Do we know how the re-releases have sold?

If they haven't done it, either A) they don't want to or B) they don't think it's a wise financial decision.

Or, they'd like to leave the magic and the lore alone. Let it be what it is. It's one of the best rock films of all time. As is UABRS, water streaks on the camera and omitted songs jumbled up setlist and all. Sure, release the other footage in some form or another. Get the New Years Point Depot show out, even. But leave Rattle & Hum be.

Or, they'd like to leave the magic and the lore alone. Let it be what it is. It's one of the best rock films of all time. As is UABRS, water streaks on the camera and omitted songs jumbled up setlist and all. Sure, release the other footage in some form or another. Get the New Years Point Depot show out, even. But leave Rattle & Hum be.

Well, I never said anything about re-inserting any of the other footage into the film. I just meant, release it as bonus material.

Do I take this to mean that you would've preferred if the UABRS DVD was identical to the original VHS?

Anyway, a fair amount of the R&H outtakes are on youtube, most of it via only 2-3 users(one in particular). I'm sure a lot of you have seen them already since they're there, but just in case:

U2 - At soundcheck (R&H Outtakes 1987) - YouTube
Bono being driven to the hospital - YouTube
The Unforgettable Fire (R&H Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - Spanish Eyes (Rattle & Hum Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - MLK (Rattle and Hum Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - New Year's Day (Rattle & Hum Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - Pride (Rattle & Hum Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - One Tree Hill (Boston 1987 - Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 Live 1987- One Tree Hill Rattle And Hum Color Out Take - YouTube
U2 - Bad (Boston 1987 - Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - Live in Massachusetts, 1987 (R&H Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - Sun Devil Stadium 1987 - YouTube
U2 - Exit (R&H Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday (R&H Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - I Will Follow (Boston 1987 - Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - Running To Stand Still (Boston 1987 - Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - Out of Control (snippet Boston 1987 - Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - Where The Streets Have No Name (Boston 1987 - Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - 40 (Boston 1987 - Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - Trip Through Your Wires (snippet - Boston 1987) - YouTube
U2 - Bullet The Blue Sky (Boston 1987 - Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - 40 (R&H Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - Exit - Sun Devil Stadium 1987 - YouTube
U2 - Mothers of the Disappeared - Sun Devil Stadium 1987 - YouTube
U2 - Mothers Of The Disappeared (Tempe, 1987) - YouTube

U2 - In limo on the way to Harlem church pt 1 (R&H Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - In limo on the way to Harlem church pt 2 (R&H Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - Choir warmup Harlem church (Rattle & Hum Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - Chatting in Harlem church 1987 (Rattle & Hum Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - In Harlem church 1987 (Rattle & Hum Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - In church (Harlem) I Still Haven't Found (with choir) - YouTube

U2 Rattle&Hum Outtake - Beach Hut Jam 1/3 - YouTube

U2 writing a song part 4 - YouTube

U2 - Trip Thru Ur Wires/She's A Mystery To Me (Sun Studios) - YouTube

I know what you mean, but the fact that so many people interpreted it a certain way does mean the band are at fault. You know, it's the old argument of "I didn't mean to insult anyone when I called him a redneck hillbilly" -- intent vs. actual effect. If there is a negative effect, you have to assign some blame, and most of it goes to the people who spoke.

After all, U2 themselves made a very conscious decision to do things like putting a Beatles song first on the album they knew 10 million people were waiting for, and filming Bono coming down from Mt. Sinai with the tablet-lyrics for 'When Loves Comes to Town'.

(As it happens, I think 'Helter Skelter' off the top was a brilliant and ballsy move, and I love it. But I can see where that -- and other things -- rub some people wrong way.)

Charles Manson doesn't own Helter Skelter, neither does U2. That is not the point they were making.

"Mt Sinai" Bono gets praise from BB King for those tablet-lyrics in that same movie which of course gets less press coverage...

And the band was very vocal about being fans of the elders and newbies to the blues, not equals to BB King et al. That was an idea that the media pushed out (see Zoo TV parodying impressions about U2 later on...). They were always prone to bombast. A little editing (ie less preaching mid songs, more interesting moments of their exploring of the blues) would be helfpul.

Anyway, the remaster could be a nice opportunity for some Lovetown footage. Rattle and Hum itself is probably off limits if Paramount owns the footage, but the Sydney show(s) and New Year's Eve in Dublin aren't...

U2 know what time it is in the world. They released four remastered albums in the run up to NLOTH (as well as UABRS), with Achtung and Unforgettable Fire getting worked on and released during a massive tour. If they haven't done it, either A) they don't want to or B) they don't think it's a wise financial decision.

Do we know how the re-releases have sold?

Why would they leave out Rattle and Hum when all the other 80's albums got a remaster ?

Well, I never said anything about re-inserting any of the other footage into the film. I just meant, release it as bonus material.

Do I take this to mean that you would've preferred if the UABRS DVD was identical to the original VHS?

Anyway, a fair amount of the R&H outtakes are on youtube, most of it via only 2-3 users(one in particular). I'm sure a lot of you have seen them already since they're there, but just in case:

U2 - At soundcheck (R&H Outtakes 1987) - YouTube
Bono being driven to the hospital - YouTube
The Unforgettable Fire (R&H Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - Spanish Eyes (Rattle & Hum Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - MLK (Rattle and Hum Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - New Year's Day (Rattle & Hum Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - Pride (Rattle & Hum Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - One Tree Hill (Boston 1987 - Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 Live 1987- One Tree Hill Rattle And Hum Color Out Take - YouTube
U2 - Bad (Boston 1987 - Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - Live in Massachusetts, 1987 (R&H Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - Sun Devil Stadium 1987 - YouTube
U2 - Exit (R&H Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday (R&H Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - I Will Follow (Boston 1987 - Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - Running To Stand Still (Boston 1987 - Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - Out of Control (snippet Boston 1987 - Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - Where The Streets Have No Name (Boston 1987 - Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - 40 (Boston 1987 - Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - Trip Through Your Wires (snippet - Boston 1987) - YouTube
U2 - Bullet The Blue Sky (Boston 1987 - Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - 40 (R&H Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - Exit - Sun Devil Stadium 1987 - YouTube
U2 - Mothers of the Disappeared - Sun Devil Stadium 1987 - YouTube
U2 - Mothers Of The Disappeared (Tempe, 1987) - YouTube

U2 - In limo on the way to Harlem church pt 1 (R&H Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - In limo on the way to Harlem church pt 2 (R&H Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - Choir warmup Harlem church (Rattle & Hum Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - Chatting in Harlem church 1987 (Rattle & Hum Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - In Harlem church 1987 (Rattle & Hum Outtakes) - YouTube
U2 - In church (Harlem) I Still Haven't Found (with choir) - YouTube

U2 Rattle&Hum Outtake - Beach Hut Jam 1/3 - YouTube

U2 writing a song part 4 - YouTube

U2 - Trip Thru Ur Wires/She's A Mystery To Me (Sun Studios) - YouTube

Thanks. I have those on physical copy. Good stuff :up:

Reissued and given the deluxe treatment, ok. Please, don't remaster this sob. If you hear it on vinyl, it's the best U2 vinyl in terms of sound and one of the best vinyls from the 80's. Like AB, it is NOT in need of a remaster (specially like they are doing it these days, leaving no room for space and dynamics). And please, we don't need another casualty in the loudness war...

I hear you, and frankly it's hard to imagine U2 putting a lot of time into remastering R&H. And for the most part, I agree, the record, particularly the studio tracks, probably doesn't really need remastering, and especially in the case of the Sun Studio cuts, remastering would probably just f**k them up.

The live tracks, however, I think could probably use a little work and benefit from a decent remaster, as long as it's just not to make them louder. And if they did include the live songs from the movie in there, those are by necessity going to need a new mix to bring them in line with the sound of the songs that made the record.

Unfortunately, it's precisely the Achtung Baby louder treatment that all of these songs will probably get.

Is there any footage of Dylan in the Sun Studio outtakes that have been made public? I think I could hear him on organ on Trip Through Your Wires/Mystery, but no visuals.

I don't think Dylan was at Sun Studios with U2 (was he?). He plays keyboards and sings some backing vocals on "Love Rescue Me".

To my knowledge, Dylan has never recorded anything at Sun Studios.

Love Rescue Me was recorded in the Sun session so he must have, I think. I recall reading that he agreed to be filmed but later requested that the footage not be used in the film so as not to overshadow some other project he was releasing at the same time.

Interesting. Can someone clarify this?

Wiki says something about Dylan singing lead on the 'original' recording of the song, probably done in L.A., but then asking U2 not to use it.

It strikes me as odd that he would journey with U2 all the way to Memphis just to sing distant backing vocals on one song... but then again, I remember Dylan talking about visiting Graceland once in the mid or late-80s... so maybe he was with them...?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Wiki says something about Dylan singing lead on the 'original' recording of the song, probably done in L.A., but then asking U2 not to use it.

It strikes me as odd that he would journey with U2 all the way to Memphis just to sing distant backing vocals on one song... but then again, I remember Dylan talking about visiting Graceland once in the mid or late-80s... so maybe he was with them...?

The story I heard was that it was much more an actual duet, and then Dylan asked to only have his backing vocals used. Not sure the reason.

This is kind of a downer of a post; sorry about that. :)

I first watched the movie in 2002 on the TRIO channel and recorded it onto a BETA tape because we still had one that worked back then. Before watching it, I had read a lot about it online and knew that it was not universally loved; I enjoyed the movie, but it felt disjointed and I understood why there was some backlash. The tape has since worn out and our BETA machines have broken down, and I'm not planning to buy the DVD until they release one with special features and bonus content.

Unfortunately, 2002 was a bad year for me because I was a teenager with a severe anxiety disorder, and I had some really bad panic attacks during the time I first watched Rattle and Hum. It took me a few years to stop associating the album and movie with terror and misery because every time I watched it, I was reminded of bad experiences. So R&H was ruined for me by my mental problems at the time. Even though I don't have those issues much at all now, that's still the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Rattle and Hum. That might sound weird, but that's how it is.

I still listen to the album, but I usually skip the live songs. I might subconsciously hate them because they remind me of the movie.

We've got to get you some better R&H memories, Rachel. I'm sorry about that.

I think all of Dylan's R&H work was done in LA, including the trippy organ intro to Hawkmoon 269.

So you think that the organ on LRM was dubbed in after? I wonder why they wouldn't make note of it in liner notes, since they give locations.

I don't know if this really clarifies anything but I did find this in Matt McGee's book U2: A Diary:
While in Los Angeles, Bono meets with Bob Dylan and they write a song called ‘Prisoner Of Love’ that will eventually become ‘Love Rescue Me’ on Rattle And Hum. Dylan sings lead vocals on the original recording, but will later ask U2 not to use it, citing his involvement with The Traveling Wilburys.

But it doesn't clarify where Dylan did the recording. Apparently a version of LRM was recorded at Sun Studios according to McGee's book. However there is no mention of Dylan being at Sun. Could a ---what do you call it--sketch track have been recorded there and Dylan added his vocals later?

Apparently a version of LRM was recorded at Sun Studios according to McGee's book. However there is no mention of Dylan being at Sun. Could a ---what do you call it--sketch track have been recorded there and Dylan added his vocals later?

Probably either a scratch track or a backing track was cut at Sun...the same sessions that yielded Angel of Harlem, Love Town, Jesus Christ, She's a Mystery, and Can't Help Falling in Love.

We've got to get you some better R&H memories, Rachel. I'm sorry about that.

So you think that the organ on LRM was dubbed in after? I wonder why they wouldn't make note of it in liner notes, since they give locations.

Based on interviews I've read in the past...which I can't point you back to (Rolling Stone maybe)...so my guess is they recorded the organ at that point in LA...but I cannot verify...:huh:

It seems to be the dissenting point here is that 'Love Rescue Me' was recorded in Memphis. Is that, in fact, true? I don't recall the liner-notes of the album saying that (but I haven't looked at those notes for about 15 years). Is there any actual audio/visual evidence of 'Love Rescue Me' being recorded at Sun?

It seems to be the dissenting point here is that 'Love Rescue Me' was recorded in Memphis. Is that, in fact, true? I don't recall the liner-notes of the album saying that (but I haven't looked at those notes for about 15 years). Is there any actual audio/visual evidence of 'Love Rescue Me' being recorded at Sun?

Liner notes clearly state that it was recorded by Cowboy Jack Clement at Sun, then mixed in LA.

Right. Usually when an album bothers to note recording locations it will mention of there are in fact two locations for one song. Seems funny that they wouldn't do that in this case. I checked U2 by U2 today and found it to be no help in confirming either possibility.

Thanks, Nathan. All these years I had no idea 'Love Rescue Me' was recorded at Sun!

I wonder... maybe U2 and Iovine edited "in" some of Bob Dylan's stuff? We'll never know, I guess...

the authors stole this from themselves, so i'm just plain stealing it.

Rattle and Hum

The cars and trucks are magnificent rushing down the byways and highways
They rattle and hum the city’s song
I like the way it tastes sometimes
The air that is
It’s sweet diesel and exhaust fumes
Are delightful with a morning cup of coffee

City of light and romance
Forever in a kind of funk I guess
Is the mess that consumes the skyline
But it’s pretty
With violent overtones that caress silent demons
Most people wouldn’t see that
But they don’t look that closely
Wherein lies beauty
Lies the other side of beauty
The city is filled with many faces
And is never peaceful
Or so it may seem
-------------------------------------------------------------------

rattle and hum

As the public transit teeters along in standstill traffic, mufflers cough in visible puffs into the cold air, inch by dicey inch, i'm left to my restless devices, to wander into a corner of my mind that was at the time entertaining a sudden, unexpected scenario oft brushed aside. An idle afternoon can find the carpet being pulled from underneath, forcing ordinary laypeople to go to extremes, springing into action... or not.

A jittery hand lifts a young man from his seat after a short meditative moment to perhaps redoubt what he's about to do. As he jolts up, brandished from a side pocket is an equalizer among which other riders at first glance have seemingly little to match (backpacks, shoes, pencils, scarves, phones).

Edging his way to the front to announce his commitment to hold this bus and its crew hostage, stalling the driver of any objective but to continue forward to nowhere in particular just so long as they are moving, not directing any more attention our way. The poise I'd present if his focus fixated on me to the rear, of desperation and fear, a scene as far as can be from hollywood's touch so cavalier.

Regardless, someone or another eventually digs deep within themselves to etch out a rag-tag sequence that would do one of a few things. I sit and ponder this event from the backseat of a sparsely populated bus, screening the fragmented words spoken in the thick of it, anything to scramble past the pang of anxiety shoving me back down in the seat at every sight of the weapon. Perhaps taking it upon one's self, one's life, to establish some potential channel of conversation to defuse a pending firestorm.

His words are heard clearly as fear grips everyone in cold stasis, among them are sentiments that spell out a discontent with some aspect of society, to where one could meet the derelict halfway with a mirroring account of equally sharp bitterness with the status quo, a reasonable yet hasty improvisation painting an environment that riles people daily to some level of anger and exhaustion.

Beyond the engine, the silent march on an endless stretch of highway, a seething hot tension, dripping along the rims of the kettle, one may be forced to do brain surgery with no view of the canvas before them, a shot in the dark to remind a fellow human of the shared struggle of existence... or to die trying.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rattle and Hum

The sounds of the city
rising to my window
as it comes alive
The night people coming home
The day people heading out for their day

There is a hum of conversation
through the streets
Shuffling of harried feet
heading to their daily destination

Gray buildings that were lit up
during the night
are now dull and dreary
Coffee shops now crowded
While clubs and bars are dark
only fragments of the night are left

There is something missing from the day people
Stiffness and complexity seem to rule
While night people are more carefree and fun filled

I glance out the window and watch the traffic
Everyone frantic for those crazy yellow cabs

that dash through the streets like lightening

Smiling to myself, knowing MY city will be back soon
I close the window
Pull the shade
Hit the bed
The rattle and hum of the city
lulling me to sleep

Thanks, Nathan. All these years I had no idea 'Love Rescue Me' was recorded at Sun!

I wonder... maybe U2 and Iovine edited "in" some of Bob Dylan's stuff? We'll never know, I guess...

The original story was that Bono woke up in LA with "Love Rescue Me" playing in his head, and he was going to see Dylan that day and they finished it together. I'm guessing this was in April of '87, then the band recorded the backing track at the Sun Sessions in late-May. Given that U2 frequently records while they mix, it's not surprising that they'd bring him in in '88 -- especially since they were still recording new material.

Back
Top Bottom