Rate the Song Series: Hawkmoon 269

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate Hawkmoon 269

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishteen

Blue Crack Addict
So sorry about everything guys college has been pretty hectic this week but here I am making y'all a thread, actually it's 3 threads you lucky souls

You've all got two days to vote on Hawkmoon 269, Angel of Harlem et When Love Comes to Town

Vote based on whatever you want as always, thanks to Ax for doing the last round by the way :)

You know, studio alone this is probably an 8 or 9 for me, but the live versions are one of the best things U2 have ever done. Easy 10.

Anybody who hasn't heard this before needs to hear it, it's one of U2's finest moments:

YouTube - U2 Hawkmoon 269 Live 1989

Fucking love that slide intro so much.

Anybody who hasn't heard this before needs to hear it, it's one of U2's finest moments:

Wow! Thanks for posting this. What a great performance! That slide guitar is indeed fantastic. One thing I found a bit odd though is the seemingly different key in which Bono sings between the verses and the chorus. Anyway, that video makes me wish I had a whole Lovetown concert on dvd.

I couldn't agree with Axver more here about the live version. The studio version kind of just plods along for me, but for the live version this song gets a 10, easily one of their best live songs ever.

You know, studio alone this is probably an 8 or 9 for me, but the live versions are one of the best things U2 have ever done. Easy 10.

I listened to this a couple of times last night. At first, I was amazed. It's an extremely intense performance, and different enough from the original that it's truly a revelation. However, I do agree with Zoots that the transition from verse to chorus is clunky, and the ending is rather anticlimactic compared to the album version.

Either way, Hawkmoon is a 10.

One thing I found a bit odd though is the seemingly different key in which Bono sings between the verses and the chorus.

This version changes keys 3 times.

1st verse (1st key): Gm-C...
transition 1: F-Eb-D-F
2nd verse (2nd key): D-G...
transition: C-Bb-A-C
Chorus (3rd key): A-D-A-D-Am-G-D

Studio version:

Verses: Bb-Eb
Chorus: Bb-Eb-Bb-Eb-Bbm-Ab-Eb

Almost totally different songs.

Best thing they have ever done (musically and passionately).

That Sydney version is good, but I actually like some others better (like Amsterdam) but sadly we don't have quality video of that.

More annoying Rattle & Hum fare. Has some enjoyable elements, but oh how it bores and frustrates me, a mother-in-law of a song.

Lyrics are boring as hell, and the production makes it worse on R&H. But Larry's awesome drumming and Edge's awesome live guitar work scrape up a seven for the song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom