Rate The Album: Songs of Innocence (2 1/2 months later)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Miracle - 5/10

Every Breaking Wave - 8/10

California - 6,5/10

Song For Someone - 6,5/10

Iris - 7,5/10

Volcano - 7,5/10

Raised By Wolves - 7,5/10

Cedarwood Road - 7/10

Sleep Like A Baby Tonight - 8/10

Reach Me Now - 8/10

Troubles - 7,5/10

----------------------

Invisible - 8,5/10

Crystal Ballroom - 7/10

Lucifer's Hands - 6/10

It's been almost a year now. I must say I am still disappointed I can't distinctly hear Adam as well as the others on many of the songs. Maybe I need to upgrade my headphones?

After a year I still like it a lot. The songs I loved early on are pretty much the same ones I love now. It's the most consistently good album they've had since Zooropa but as many have said before, there are fewer lows than it's recent predecessors but there are fewer real highs.

1. The Miracle 5.5/10 (I don't hate it but I'd say it's their weakest ever opener, should have been Invisible.)

2. Every Breaking Wave 8.5/10. This would have been a big hit if they'd released it in the 90s. I much prefer the album version to the acoustic.

3 California 9/10. Absolutely love this, it's the perfect pop song that they've been trying to write for years, I even like the much hated Beach Boys intro.

4. Song For Someone 6/10. It's a decent enough song but seems to be arranged in such a way to get sung on X Factor, the Crazy Tonight-esque guitar part at the end kills it for me.

5 Iris. 8/10. As usual Bono brings his A game when writing about his late mother, beautiful lyrics, haunting images and a lovely piano refrain that reminds me of Endless Deep.

6. Volcano 6/10 Still not sure what to make of this, I do like the chorus especially the high pitched "vol-cayy- no" and the great bass line. However I think as a song about teenage rebellion and fury at the injustice of his mother's death it's kind of limp and not raw enough.

7. Raised By Wolves 7/10 This is an exhilarating song, like Volcano it has some good vocal flourishes (the panting wolf noise) and some decent lyrics, but for whatever reason it doesn't quite sit with me, for one thing I don't like when Bono throws actual factual bits of info into songs and gets very literal (it's early and I can't think of a better way to put it), such as the car registration number here, the list of names in Peace On Earth or the "new media" line in Kite.
This song is greatly improved live.

8. Cedarwood road 8.5/10. Absolutely love this, it has that raw edge that I think Volcano lacks and the last minute or so is one of the greatest bit of unbridled not over produced, raw emotion from the band in a long time, love it. Perfect lead into the next track too.

9. Sleep Like A Baby 9/10. Great chilling understated piece, very reminiscent of Zooropa, the album.

10. Reach Around 9.5/10. Absolutely love this, everything about it. Great groove, so funky, great guitar, would love this to be a single.

11. The Troubles 9.5/10. My favourite song on the album and my favourite U2 song since TGBHF. It sits proudly amongst u2's other incredible album closers. Unlike most others I love that it doesn't end in a soaring guitar crescendo, I think the subtle ending is perfectly in keeping with the album, the subject matter and other U2 standards such as with or without you. I know it's a downer but should definitely close the set on the tour.

Invisible 9/10. Big big shame this wasn't on the album, best single they've released since Vertigo.

The Crystal ballroom 9/10. Great to see the band do something so different, at first I thought it should have been on the album, but not sure how it would fit.

Lucifers Hands : 6/10 Decent B-side but that's it, I actually prefer Stingray guitar.

Last edited:
This review could be mine!
For me, the 1st half of the album is just OK, but the 2nd half, starting with RBW, is overwhelming. How I wish they play live more from the 2nd half and drop some of the 1st.

Almost a year in, and it's crept its way into my Top 3 (behind the obvious ones). The band really surprised me with this one. While NLOTH did a decent job of shaking things up to a degree, SoI has a vitality and confidence to it that I didn't think U2 was capable of sustaining for a full album's worth--and the whole thing is incredibly cohesive (second only to Achtung, IMO)! When Bono says the record is the culmination of four year's worth of blood, sweat and Irish tears... I'm inclined to believe him :0

Granted, the record does seem to be lacking any true U2 classics, but I can honestly say i'm never tempted to click the "skip" button (and no, I didn't forget about Volcano! :0 :0 ...it just works so well thematically following Iris that I can't help but feel I'd be missing out if I were to head straight to RbW--but also, I just really love the song's bridge *drool*). What it may lack in any future concert staples, SoI more than makes up for it with a clear, concentrated effort to adhere to an idea, a collection of songs guided by a simple, but relatable, theme of innocence and innocence lost, that is ultimately greater than the sum of its already impressive parts.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using U2 Interference mobile app

Last edited:
Almost a year in, and it's crept its way into my Top 3 (behind the obvious ones). The band really surprised me with this one. While NLOTH did a decent job of shaking things up to a degree, SoI has a vitality and confidence to it that I didn't think U2 was capable of sustaining for a full album's worth--and the whole thing is incredibly cohesive (second only to Achtung, IMO)! When Bono says the record is the culmination of four year's worth of blood, sweat and Irish tears... I'm inclined to believe him :0

Granted, the record does seem to be lacking any true U2 classics, but I can honestly say i'm never tempted to click the "skip" button (and no, I didn't forget about Volcano! :0 :0 ...it just works so well thematically following Iris that I can't help but feel I'd be missing out if I were to head straight to RbW--but also, I just really love the song's bridge *drool*). What it may lack in any future concert staples, SoI more than makes up for it with a clear, concentrated effort to adhere to an idea, a collection of songs guided by a simple, but relatable, theme of innocence and innocence lost, that is ultimately greater than the sum of its already impressive parts.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using U2 Interference mobile app

Well said Catman. :up:

It's been almost a year now. I must say I am still disappointed I can't distinctly hear Adam as well as the others on many of the songs. Maybe I need to upgrade my headphones?

Get better headphones, Adam is all over this album.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using U2 Interference mobile app

After a year I still love this album,can't pick a favourite song. If I had to I would say cedarwood road.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using U2 Interference mobile app

I haven't posted on this site in years. some of you may remember me. First of all, some background…

U2 had been my favorite band for 15 years (I was 14). I got into them when ATYCLB came out and quickly became a little too obsessed. Within a year I had memorized every song they'd released up to that point (including one offs and b-sides). My fandom remained strong through HTDAAB, even though I considered it one of their weakest albums. My faith in the band was wavering and I didn't expect much from NLOTH, but, to my surprise, the album far exceeded my expectations. When I was able to see the band live for the first time in Seattle for the 360 tour I was again completely blown away. It was one of the best nights of my life.

In the years after that I still enjoyed U2 a lot, but I got into other bands more. It wasn't that I liked U2 less, I just filled my listening time with a lot of newer (and lesser known) music, favorites including Vampire Weekend, Sigur Ros, Nick Cave, Andrew Bird and others. I also saw all of these bands live (and was blown away).

After a few years of waiting for Songs of Ascent to show up I kind of got the impression that U2 was fizzling out and that they were out of ideas. When I heard they brought Danger Mouse on board some faith was restored (he's amazing). Once that excitement died down I forgot about U2 until I saw an album review on pitchfork one day. Obviously my first instinct was "HOLY CRAP I NEED TO LISTEN TO THIS ASAP". So I downloaded the album, put it on my iPod, called my mom up and told her we are gonna go have dinner and listen to the new U2 album (we have a tradition of sitting in the car and listening to new U2 while eating a cheeseburger).

After the first song we said to each other "eh… that wasn't very good. maybe the next one will be better". well, it was better, but not much. We just sat there the whole time trying to find good things to say about the songs, but we couldn't. You're already probably thinking "but they're great!!". Well… I disagree. Nothing on this entire album has any kind of punch or impact on me. There are a few bright spots like parts of Volcano and Sleep Like a Baby, but overall the entire sound of this album just seems flat, overly glossy, sterile and completely lacking in balls. The lyrics are, in my opinion, horrible. I mean really, just listen to Miracle. I've had complaints about Bono's lyrics in the past but this is just cringeworthy. I'm not saying I hate the album. I do like a few songs (EBW, California, Volcano, Sleep Like a Baby, Troubles, Reach Me Now), but I don't love any. This, to me, is U2's "safest" album. You may think I need my ears checked because I'll admit it is somewhat of a departure in sound production-wise from their past albums, but in the most sterile, mainstream way. The production here reminds me of the stuff I hear hours every day at my work. The boring pop production of top 40 music. Even the rock songs don't sound like rock songs. They sound like a sterile hybrid of rock, pop, electronic and a hint of dubstep. Not that there's anything wrong with that formula, if done right (U2 have done rock/electronic right many times), but this just sounds like the flavor of the time to me. Nothing that excites me sonically. There's no kick to it. Play any of these songs then put on Magnificent or NLOTH and you'll hear what I mean. Everything here leans more toward a shiny, glossy sound that leaves me bored. Completely over produced. I've tried listening to this album dozens of times, trying to "get" it, but I just can't. I just always want to turn something else that actually engages me on. The only use I have for these songs is scattered throughout a U2 playlist where they sound more like interesting little distractions.

I'm really surprised this album is getting such positive reviews here. I guess I'm the odd man out. I am thankful they dropped this album out of the blue, though, because if I had time to hype myself up for it I would have been much more let down, as opposed to now, just feeling completely apathetic to U2 at the moment. Here's hoping Songs of Experience redeems my faith in the band, although I don't have much hope at the moment, nor do I find myself caring that much.

Last edited:
You're anything but the odd one out. The album gets a lot of hate here. So much so that those of us who actually like it are dismissed as sycophantic sheep. ;)

People who like U2 post 1997 are dismissed as sycophantic sheep on this forum.
So there is that.

I haven't posted on this site in years. some of you may remember me. First of all, some background…

U2 had been my favorite band for 15 years (I was 14). I got into them when ATYCLB came out and quickly became a little too obsessed. Within a year I had memorized every song they'd released up to that point (including one offs and b-sides). My fandom remained strong through HTDAAB, even though I considered it one of their weakest albums. My faith in the band was wavering and I didn't expect much from NLOTH, but, to my surprise, the album far exceeded my expectations. When I was able to see the band live for the first time in Seattle for the 360 tour I was again completely blown away. It was one of the best nights of my life.

In the years after that I still enjoyed U2 a lot, but I got into other bands more. It wasn't that I liked U2 less, I just filled my listening time with a lot of newer (and lesser known) music, favorites including Vampire Weekend, Sigur Ros, Nick Cave, Andrew Bird and others. I also saw all of these bands live (and was blown away).

After a few years of waiting for Songs of Ascent to show up I kind of got the impression that U2 was fizzling out and that they were out of ideas. When I heard they brought Danger Mouse on board some faith was restored (he's amazing). Once that excitement died down I forgot about U2 until I saw an album review on pitchfork one day. Obviously my first instinct was "HOLY CRAP I NEED TO LISTEN TO THIS ASAP". So I downloaded the album, put it on my iPod, called my mom up and told her we are gonna go have dinner and listen to the new U2 album (we have a tradition of sitting in the car and listening to new U2 while eating a cheeseburger).

After the first song we said to each other "eh… that wasn't very good. maybe the next one will be better". well, it was better, but not much. We just sat there the whole time trying to find good things to say about the songs, but we couldn't. You're already probably thinking "but they're great!!". Well… I disagree. Nothing on this entire album has any kind of punch or impact on me. There are a few bright spots like parts of Volcano and Sleep Like a Baby, but overall the entire sound of this album just seems flat, overly glossy, sterile and completely lacking in balls. The lyrics are, in my opinion, horrible. I mean really, just listen to Miracle. I've had complaints about Bono's lyrics in the past but this is just cringeworthy. I'm not saying I hate the album. I do like a few songs (EBW, California, Volcano, Sleep Like a Baby, Troubles, Reach Me Now), but I don't love any. This, to me, is U2's "safest" album. You may think I need my ears checked because I'll admit it is somewhat of a departure in sound production-wise from their past albums, but in the most sterile, mainstream way. The production here reminds me of the stuff I hear hours every day at my work. The boring pop production of top 40 music. Even the rock songs don't sound like rock songs. They sound like a sterile hybrid of rock, pop, electronic and a hint of dubstep. Not that there's anything wrong with that formula, if done right (U2 have done rock/electronic right many times), but this just sounds like the flavor of the time to me. Nothing that excites me sonically. There's no kick to it. Play any of these songs then put on Magnificent or NLOTH and you'll hear what I mean. Everything here leans more toward a shiny, glossy sound that leaves me bored. Completely over produced. I've tried listening to this album dozens of times, trying to "get" it, but I just can't. I just always want to turn something else that actually engages me on. The only use I have for these songs is scattered throughout a U2 playlist where they sound more like interesting little distractions.

I'm really surprised this album is getting such positive reviews here. I guess I'm the odd man out. I am thankful they dropped this album out of the blue, though, because if I had time to hype myself up for it I would have been much more let down, as opposed to now, just feeling completely apathetic to U2 at the moment. Here's hoping Songs of Experience redeems my faith in the band, although I don't have much hope at the moment, nor do I find myself caring that much.

Nice post. And you're not the odd man out. In fact, you're in good company. Larry (of all people!) mentioned that parts of the album were "overcooked", and a few months ago Bono alluded that it sounded too glossy because they spent too much time in the studio. The fact that two members have publicly spoken about the album's (obvious) flaws actually bodes rather well for the next one. And if the next one is a flaccid turd on par with SOI - time to hang it up.

Just checking in to say I still love this album. Listened to several songs yesterday and man, they still sound good.

Every Breaking Wave
Invisible
Volcano
Reach Me Now
California
Miracle

All sound great still!

To the point where I'm in no rush for a new album as this one still feeds my U2 need!!

Looking forward to the concert on HBO!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Listened to this album properly for the first time in a while. As with their previous two albums, it's a bit of a sonic hotchpotch with regards to the different types of songs on there, but surely this is to be expected from a band that has been knocking about with various styles for a lazy 35+ years.

The final third of the album went down really well. Cedarwood Road and Sleep Like a Baby Tonight are stellar, with the latter being one U2's finest songs in years. Reach Me Now sounded better than I remembered.

Raised By Wolves is an admirable endeavour, but sounds a little jarring. Song for Someone still comes across as a poor man's SYCMIOYO, and Miracle might be U2's lamest ever song and worst ever single.

But otherwise, it sits nicely in the catalogue. It's release method will unfortunately forever overshadow it, and the lack of anticipation leading up to it is, retrospectively, feels like a bit of a let down. The anticipation of a band's new release, the gradual leaking of details (album cover, track listing, single) is actually an enjoyable process for a dedicated fan. We didn't get that with SoI.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

I've found myself listening to the older albums a lot during this tour. But every once in a while I throw some SOI back in the mix, and still like it. It's not in my top 3 anymore, as it was when it came out. But some songs rank pretty high. But it's also an album that works well as an album. As a whole. It's probably the most coherent, with a true storyline.
For those who don't like the album, I hope you went to see at least one show. For me the songs really work well live. Better than I expected actually. Raised by Wolves is the perfect example, but the same goes for other SOI songs. I even like the acoustic version of Every Breaking Wave live. Who would have thought...

I'm skipping most of the 1st half of the album when I hear it, but the 2nd half starting on Raised by Wolves up to Crystal Ballroom (for me, it's still SOI) is top quality, just like tunes from Joshua Tree, AB or Pop. Absolutely love them, I can't create a U2 setlist without those songs anymore.

Miracle 6/10
EBW 7/10
California 6/10
SFS 4/10
Iris 8/10
Volcano 3/10
Wolves 6/10
Cedarwood 7/10
Sleep 7/10
Reach 8/10
Troubles 7/10
Crystal Ballroom 7/10
Lucifers Hands 2/10
Invisible 9/10

Miracle 6/10
EBW 7/10
California 6/10
SFS 4/10
Iris 8/10
Volcano 3/10
Wolves 6/10
Cedarwood 7/10
Sleep 7/10
Reach 8/10
Troubles 7/10
Crystal Ballroom 7/10
Lucifers Hands 2/10
Invisible 9/10

Bringing it back!

Hard to really put numeric values at this point, but I think it's time for Digitize to put together some survivor polls!

Miracle 6.5/10
EBW 8/10
California 7.5/10
SFS 6/10
Iris 7.5/10
Volcano 5/10
RBW 8/10
Cedarwood 7.5/10
Sleep 8/10
Reach 8/10
Troubles 8.5/10

Invisible 7/10
Crystal Ballroom 7/10
Lucifer's Hands 4.5/10

Bringing it back!

Hard to really put numeric values at this point, but I think it's time for Digitize to put together some survivor polls!

Post tour now. Thought it would be interesting to see how much everyone still likes the album. I still like the album for the most part.

Post tour now. Thought it would be interesting to see how much everyone still likes the album. I still like the album for the most part.

Same here. I think it's really strong. Interesting how the first half has really grown on me. When the album first came out, I thought the 2nd half was a lot stronger, but I even find myself listening to The Miracle just for the hell of it.

I'm still really liking SOI!

Miracle - not a favorite; ranked 2nd least liked
EBW - was one of my least favorite on 1st listen, now I love it
California - pretty good song
SFS - decent song, but prob my 3rd least liked
Iris - really grew on me, great song
Volcano - love it! Great song!
RBW - great song, one of the best, possibly the best
Cedarwood - grew on me, really like it
Sleep - my least favorite. I acknowledge it isn't a bad song, but I don't like it
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now - really like it!
Troubles - great track

Invisible - great song
Crystal Ballroom - fantastic song, one of the top 2 or 3 on the album
Lucifer's Hands - really good, thumbs up

I listened to this again for the first time in months and months today whilst doing yard work outside in shorts in December in temperature roughly 30 degrees warmer than normal.

It's a good listen. Really in-your-face and engaging and desperate to communicate and be heard. Standouts (EBW, California, Troubles) are still the standouts, while the live setting has given more gravitas to RBW and Iris. Volcano is still awful.

It's very much a creative, eager, energetic pop album. The grandeur (and pomposity) of the past are gone. They are song-and-dance men these days, but there's nothing cynical about it. Inspiration has (mostly) given way to craft and smarts, and that's ok. There's nothing as sprawling and epic as their most ambitious work, but there's also very little that isn't engaging and listenable and also heartfelt.

It's better than their last effort. It's a bit too crisp for me tho. Danny and Brian do give the production a more warm sound, almost cozy.

This is shiny and sparkly. I actually don't mind volcano because Edge's guitar work during the chorus (and his work on Reach) are the only interesting bits from him on the entire record.

Everyone else on the album stepped up, but since the 2000s, we haven't really ever gotten Edge moments. Kite (live, with solo) might be his best.

Shame cause you think of a song like the fly, it's two notes yet it's so memorable and yet not cheesy like Vertigo/Boots/Miracle.

As Irvine put it, this is less inspiration and more about the craft.

Doubt we'll ever get those grandiose landscapes back again. But maybe we'll get the next album before 5 years.

Maybe, we'll see

Back
Top Bottom