Rate The Album: Songs of Innocence (2 1/2 months later)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SOI is still light years ahead of its predecessor. Which is, to say, it is better than a turd sandwich, or the New York Jets even.

Still....

The Miracle 7/10
Every Breaking Wave 9.5/10
California 9.5/10
Song for Someone 6.5/10
Iris 7.5/10
Volcano 8/10
Wolves 7/10
Cedarwood Rd. 9/10
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight 10/10
This is Where You Can Reach Me 9/10
The Troubles 9.5/10

It's also really hard for me to rate stuff like this. Initially i thought NLOTH was the greatest thing since sliced bread....until i sliced some more bread and realized that part of it was stale and moldy. So i could be way off looking ahead or looking back. SOI still ranks pretty high for me but i don't normally listen to U2 that much so i can't or shouldn't even begin comparing this to the back catalog. Probably top 4 album easily top 5 in their discography.

The Miracle: 7/10
Every Breaking Wave: 5/10
California: 7/10
Song for Someone: 6/10
Iris: 7/10
Volcano: 4.5/10
Raised by Wolves: 4/10
Cedarwood Road: 7/10
Sleep Like A Baby Tonight: 6/10
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now: 6/10
The Troubles: 7.5/10

Average: 5 and 5/11

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The Miracle: 9/10
Every Breaking Wave: 10/10
Song for Someone: 8/10
Iris: 10/10
Volcano: 10/10
Raised by Wolves: 9/10
Ceadarwood Road: 9/10
Sleep Like a Baby: 9/10
Reach Me Now: 10/10
Troubles: 10/10
Lucifer's Hands: 9/10
Crystal Ballroom: 10/10
Invisible: 10/10

Great album, still don't skip any of the songs.

Pretty much this for me,although I would have iris at 7 and california at 10!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using U2 Interference mobile app

Based on the point system you provided... plus, I'm leaving out half-points for the sake of simplicity, haha.

Songs of Innocence: 7/10

The Miracle: 8/10
Every Breaking Wave: 9/10
Song for Someone: 5/10
Iris: 5/10
Volcano: 6/10
Raised by Wolves: 6/10
Cedarwood Road: 7/10
Reach Me Now: 8/10
Troubles: 10/10
-----------------------------------------
Invisible: 6/10
Crystal Ballroom: 8/10
Lucifer’s Hands: 6/10
Sleep Alternate: 6/10
Troubles Alternate: 6/10

Has this been stated by him ie that she used to say this line to him? I've either forgotten or didn't read that in the first place. I want to know that first before I comment..

Sent from my ass crack

BEFORE lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Songs of Innocence: 8.5/10

The Miracle: 8/10
Every Breaking Wave: 7.5/10
Song for Someone: 8.5/10
Iris: 8.5/10
Volcano: 7/10
Raised by Wolves: 9/10
Cedarwood Road: 9.5/10
Sleep Like a Baby: 10/10
Reach Me Now: 9/10
Troubles: 9/10
Invisible: 8/10
Crystal Ballroom: 7.5/10
Lucifer's Hands: 8/10
Sleep Alternate: 6.5/10
Troubles Alt: 7/10

Album cover: 7/10
Liner notes/booklet: 0/10

After the initial excitement of having a new U2 album wore off, my feeling is generally that this is nowhere near a classic/outstanding album, for me. It still contains too much of the U2 sounds that have made me not as excited about them on their previous three releases. It's the best album since ATYCLB, only because it sounds like a complete album. The standouts on No Line were much stronger, but that album didn't have an identity, like this one does. There are some promising moments, like Raised by Wolves and the bonus track, The Crystal Ballroom; but if they don't take the ball and run with these unique ideas for their next release and all we get are unremarkable rock songs (Volcano) and fairly bland anthems (Iris), then it's going to be hard not to maintain this feeling of "They're settling for mediocrity" on future releases.

After the initial excitement of having a new U2 album wore off, my feeling is generally that this is nowhere near a classic/outstanding album, for me. It still contains too much of the U2 sounds that have made me not as excited about them on their previous three releases. It's the best album since ATYCLB, only because it sounds like a complete album. The standouts on No Line were much stronger, but that album didn't have an identity, like this one does. There are some promising moments, like Raised by Wolves and the bonus track, The Crystal Ballroom; but if they don't take the ball and run with these unique ideas for their next release and all we get are unremarkable rock songs (Volcano) and fairly bland anthems (Iris), then it's going to be hard not to maintain this feeling of "They're settling for mediocrity" on future releases.

Cannot disagree more on all of your points, so it must be dreadful time now for you to be a U2 fan :(

I'm afraid that if people is really expecting for this band of 55 year olds to create as many songs as fresh and exciting as when they were 30 year olds, there's gonna be a lot of disappointement.

You can expect them to create high quality songs, either rock songs or pop rock songs. Quality. Great songs to increase the already great catalog of U2 songs.
Maybe a bit of trying something new every now and then, but you won't get another Achtung Baby.

The same applies if you're expecting that the media and the rest of the people accepts their music as they did 20 years ago. It won't happen. I don't see the young crowd wanting to look like Bono or looking up to U2 as rock stars.
If in order for you to enjoy their music you need that the rest of the world appreciates it aswell, turning their singles into hits and their hits into classics, probably it won't happen.

Depending on what are you expecting them to deliver is how much you would be able to enjoy SOI and whatever they do next.

1. The Miracle 8/10
2. Every Breaking Wave 9/10
3. California 9/10
4. Song for Someone 7/10
5. Iris 9/10
6. Volcano 9/10
7. Raised by Wolves 8/10
8. Cedarwood Road 7/10
9. Sleep Like a Baby Tonight 7/10
10. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now 9/10
11. The Troubles 8/10

12. Lucifer's Hands 8/10
13. The Crystal Ballroom 9/10
14. Acoustic Sessions 8/10
15. The Troubles Alt. 7/10
16. Sleep Like a Baby Alt. 8/10
17. Invisible 10/10

I'm afraid that if people is really expecting for this band of 55 year olds to create as many songs as fresh and exciting as when they were 30 year olds, there's gonna be a lot of disappointement.

You can expect them to create high quality songs, either rock songs or pop rock songs. Quality. Great songs to increase the already great catalog of U2 songs.
Maybe a bit of trying something new every now and then, but you won't get another Achtung Baby.

The same applies if you're expecting that the media and the rest of the people accepts their music as they did 20 years ago. It won't happen. I don't see the young crowd wanting to look like Bono or looking up to U2 as rock stars.
If in order for you to enjoy their music you need that the rest of the world appreciates it aswell, turning their singles into hits and their hits into classics, probably it won't happen.

Depending on what are you expecting them to deliver is how much you would be able to enjoy SOI and whatever they do next.

Exactly :up:

And moreover I think this record is the most exciting and fresh since AB :heart:

The glitter has worn off and because it's new my rankings stay pretty fluid.
But this is a pretty solid ranking for me now that it's just a part of their catalogue and no new album bias.

The Miracle 8/10
*Acoustic 7.5/10
Every Breaking Wave 9.5/10
*Acoustic 9.5/10
California 8/10
*Acoustic 7.5/10
SFS 7/10
*Acoustic 6.5/10
Iris 9.5/10
Volcano 8/10
Raised By Wolves 7/10
*Acoustic 10/10
Cedarwood Road 7.5/10
*Acoustic 7/10
Sleep Like A Baby 7.5/10
*Alternate 7.5/10
Reach 10/10
The Troubles 9/10
*Alternate 5/10
Invisible 10/10
Crystal Ballroom 9.5/10
Lucifer's Hands 7/10

For comparisons sake....
(average per song including some bonus tracks)
SOI 8.1
NLOTH 7.6
HTDAAB 8.1
ATYCLB 8.2
Pop 8.4
Zooropa 8.9
AB 8.8
R&H 8.2
JT 9.7
TUF 9.1
WAR 8.5
OCT 8.1
BOY 9.3

I am super bored in this airport, Please kill me now! Yes I actually did all the math on this.
JT is still the king and SOI is middle of the pack.
NLOTH was killed by the horrible tracks.

The Miracle: 7/10
Every Breaking Wave: 6/10
California: 8/10
Song for Someone: 6/10
Iris: 6/10
Volcano: 7/10
Raised by Wolves: 8/10
Cedarwood Road: 8/10
Reach Me Now: 8/10
Troubles: 8/10

SOI: 7,36
not bad.

The Miracle 4/10
Every Breaking Wave 6/10
California 5/10
Song for Someone 6/10
Iris 5/10
Volcano 5/10
Raised by Wolves 9/10
Cedarwood Road 9/10
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight 5/10
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now 7/10
The Troubles 6/10

Tedder be gone and Epworth you were far better when you were called Phones and remixed NIN and Goldfrapp lad. Once the two obviously dodgy songs about boots and high heels are removed from the running order and one adds Winter in their place, for me NLOTH is just a better overall record that I go back to again and again and it samples the mighty Harold Budd too.

Edit: for (personal) comparison -

NLOTH 9/10
Magnificent 8/10
Moment Of Surrender 9/10
Unknown Caller 10/10
Crazy Tonight 7/10
Get On Your Boots Skinheads! 5/10
Stand Up Comedy 5/10
Winter 9/10
White As Snow 8/10
Fez-Being Born 10/10
Breathe 9/10
Cedars Of Lebanon 10/10

SOI album rankings in the U2 Discography:

11/25/2014

1 Achtung Baby
2 The Joshua Tree
3. War
4. The Unforgettable Fire
5. Zooropa
6. Pop
7. Songs Of Innocence
8. Rattle & Hum
9. ATYCLB
10.HTDAAB
11.Boy
12. NLOTH
13. October

How in hell can BOY be below ATYCLB and HTDAAB???????? This might be the most insane result ever in this forum.

How in hell can BOY be below ATYCLB and HTDAAB???????? This might be the most insane result ever in this forum.

It's a result I agree with although Zooropa would be below Boy.

11/25/2014

1 Achtung Baby
2 The Joshua Tree
3. War
5. Zooropa
6. Pop
7. Songs Of Innocence
8. Rattle & Hum
9. ATYCLB
10.HTDAAB
11.Boy
12. NLOTH
13. October

ok guys, have gone over this list again and listened to Boy and October quite a few times......let's try this again shall we.

12/16/2014

1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. War
5. Zooropa
6. Pop
7. Songs Of Innocence
8. Rattle & Hum
9. Boy
10. ATYCLB
11. HTDAAB
12. October
13. No Line On The Horizon

* listened to NLOTH 2X last night and realized that it actually sucks. October is a better album no question about it.

I play:

Achtung Baby
Unforgettable Fire
Joshua Tree
Boy
---
War
Songs of Innocence
Zooropa
No Line on the Horizon
HTDAAB
---
ATYCLB
Rattle and Hum
October
Pop

BTW, I like Pop.

:applaud:

by the way, I thought it was the average of all the album interferencers voted for, not your own list, otherwise I wouldn't have been so harsh... :wave:

:lol:No problem, your comments gave me a chance to really revisit Boy and October and make an educated and thoughtful reassessment of my previous list. So thank you. :wave:

This album is certainly a grower. I feel sorry for the people who dismissed it after only a few listens. Because this baby just keeps getting better and better.

The best songs are always the ones which endure. Which keep unfolding and growing on you. And SOI has its fair share of such songs.

It's a great album, and I still think it's the best since ATYCLB. Sitting comfortably at #7 on my list of favorite U2 albums, because that Top 6 is untouchable.

I´m more and more certain it is their 3rd best after AB and JT. And that is absolutely fantastic!

At the risk of being called a "homer", I agree with you. I want to give it more time but it is certainly up there as one of their best.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

This album is certainly a grower. I feel sorry for the people who dismissed it after only a few listens. Because this baby just keeps getting better and better.

The best songs are always the ones which endure. Which keep unfolding and growing on you. And SOI has its fair share of such songs.

Agree completely. The first listen, I was kind of horrified with the first half of the album. The second, I softened slightly. Then I didn't really listen much for the next month or so. It was probably two months in before I started thinking "holy shit, this is a great album, front to back." Which kind of sucks for non-fans, because I'm not sure that they are going to have the patience to listen and let this grow. People seem to have media ADHD now. I'm a giant fan, so I was obviously motivated to keep listening...but there are a ton of other bands for whom I would have given one listen and thought "whatever...not my thing," and left it at that.

I´m more and more certain it is their 3rd best after AB and JT. And that is absolutely fantastic!

At the risk of being called a "homer", I agree with you. I want to give it more time but it is certainly up there as one of their best.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

It's a great album with the correct song choice (including Invisible, TCB, and Raised By Wolves acoustic) and the correct track listing accordingly.
But.....it's nowhere near Joshua Tree (untouchable) and not as good as Zooropa, Boy, AB, and TUF. It's middle of the pack and there's nothing wrong with that. (Maybe it will rise in the future) We got a very good album. Reach, Iris, TCB, and Invisible are phenomenal. But it is not amongst their very best imo.
It's slightly higher than Pop, War, and October (all albums I like very much).

Back
Top Bottom