Rank Your Favorite Songs on the Album Part 6: All That You Can't Leave Behind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. When I Look At The World - 9.5/10
2. Beautiful Day - 9/10
3. Kite - 8.5/10
4. New York - 8/10
5. Walk On - 7.5/10
6. Wild Honey - 7.5/10
7. In A Little While - 6.5/10
8. Peace On Earth - 6/10
9. Stuck In A Moment - 5.5/10
10. Elevation - 5/10
11. Grace - 4/10

A whole lot of bullshit, but what's great is undoubtedly special. Not a lot of memories attached to the album, but the tour (Boston DVD specifically) made me the fan I am today. Amazing performances; even tripe like Elevation sounded great.

The best part of this album was the Free-Per-View that DirecTV did for Christmas. So many cool insider U2 things I got to see from that. Every day I went to my dad's that December I watched the entirity of that program, which meant that I saw the Boston show an insane amount of times. I recently threw that in again, having not seen it in years, and I really miss that Bono. He really has kind of become a d-bag live, lately, but he felt really sincere there TO ME.

I don't even think I can fully explain the reasons myself, unfortunately. It was a weird time.

I remember just kind of thinking "I don't think I'm going to go" but don't remember how I came to that decision. I was aware of the tour, and aware that tickets were on sale ... I don't know what happened. I don't remember if it was a money thing, or if I had some misconception about the tour itself, or thought for some reason it was all GA (I wasn't involved in the online U2 world at the time) and said "Hell, no!"

And then later, my then-boyfriend had tickets for the Vancouver show, but we were pretty much at the end of our days together, and I knew that if I'd stayed with him, it would only have been for the tickets, and I couldn't do it.

I think after I realized what a dumbass I was, I found this place and vowed never to miss the boat again.

I listened to it in full the other night, and as a whole it was better than I remembered. Or in that mood and that moment, I liked it more.

Something like that.

I only think it's "bad" in comparison to other U2 albums. And even "bad" is a huuuuuge exaggeration.

forshame.jpg

:reject: i've had this laptop for two years. even for the stuff i like, that's a pretty low count. but because i like to listen to complete albums, it's easy to forget about the individual stuff i like.

I think a lot of the crowd stuff is just the stage design itself. Maybe I'm mixing up all the various tours and bootlegs (honestly, it all starts to cram together), but he's still talking a lot, isn't he? Not big speeches like on Vertigo, but he's still a chatty cathy, yeah?

But hey, different strokes, etc. It doesn't bother me as much as it does others. :)

And I define "d-bag" as "total asshole," and I often forget not everyone uses the same definition. :lol:

CLASSIC
1. Beautiful Day

EXCELLENT QUALI'Y

2. Walk On
3. Stuck In A Moment - appreciated much more when I became "stuck in a moment" that I couldn't "get out of"
4. New York - under appreciated, interesting song
5. Kite
6. When I Look At The World

DECENT SONG BUT AVERAGE BY U2's STANDARDS
7. Wild Honey
8. Peace On Earth
9. Elevation - this version is kinda weak
10. In A Little While

BOLLOCKSY
11. Grace - though I don't mind the lyrics

This actually goes double for me.....the tour was very memorable/enjoyable for me for many reasons.

Always nice to see some Elevation tour love. Sloppy as hell, ugly tour, but they (ironically) weren't afraid of the '90s yet, and Bono never seemed sweeter or more sincere to me. If there was ever a time when falling in love with U2 as a band/concept was inevitable, it was 2000-2001. U2 is much harder to cheer for these days. A shame, because their creativity is once again peaking.

I think a lot of the crowd stuff is just the stage design itself. Maybe I'm mixing up all the various tours and bootlegs (honestly, it all starts to cram together), but he's still talking a lot, isn't he? Not big speeches like on Vertigo, but he's still a chatty cathy, yeah?

But hey, different strokes, etc. It doesn't bother me as much as it does others. :)

And I define "d-bag" as "total asshole," and I often forget not everyone uses the same definition. :lol:

I'm telling you, I've seen him in Chicago, Cleveland and now Dallas (Arlington). And he was straight-up an ass in Arlington. I don't know what rubbed me so wrong about that show, but, maybe it was because it was the first time I was on the rail, and, I'm not saying I want the guy to buy me a soda or anything, but he never he did the reach the hand out to the audience thing on our side of the ellipse. I think he pulled a kid up on the stage? That was cool. I don't know, it's weird that I was SO angry about this. Anyways...

EDIT: I forgot to get to my point. I really felt like he was being like that because he was in Texas and it was like, "Oh well, no real fans here, don't have to bring our A-game".

I'm not saying I want the guy to buy me a soda or anything,

:lol:

Aw, crap though. I'm sorry. Maybe all that build-up about being "ON THE RAIL ZOMG" just didn't live up to the expectations compared to hearing about everyone's experiences on the last two tours. Which does indeed suck.

I'm trying to temper my expectations for next year, as I'm going to attempt to be up front for at least one show.

I just want to be able to see everything, so I figure that's reasonable.

I went for the outside rail of the ellipse so I COULD see.

Ahh well, I'm done sounding like a selfish baby for one night :lol:

Nah. It's just funny how people's reactions vary.

I was thinking lately I was finding him kind of charming on this tour, but I was nowhere near close to the stage for any of the shows, and was just kind of partying in the back with my over-excited self, so the only vibes I was feeling were just all of that, instead of Bono giving the stink-eye or anything.

And yeah, outer rail for me. From seeing videos/pictures from front row, it looks like you can barely see anything unless they're right on top of you, and I don't need to see straight up Bono's nostrils.

Only stuck in the 90's "I love Gone, The Fly and HMTMKMKM and nothing else" thinks of it of it as "that bad" I think. With some exceptions of course.

It was the first album I ever bought, and some time ago it sort of lost its magic, but then Walk On was played last year and I remembered just how truly great some of the songs are. In general, it's a great album, but I can't stand how all the truly great songs are on side A. It's a common problem with U2, I know, but in this case it's particularly bad.

Timeless U2 masterpieces:
1. Beautiful Day
2. Walk On
3. In A Little While
Very good U2 songs:
4. Kite
5. Elevation
6. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Good U2 songs:
7. When I Look At The World
8. Grace
9. New York
10. Wild Honey
Average U2 song:
11. Peace On Earth

:heart::heart::heart:
1. Kite
2. Beautiful Day

:up::up::up:
3. Walk On
4. When I Look At the World
5. In A Little While
6. New York

7. Elevation
8. Stuck
9. Grace

:down:
10. Peace on Earth
11. Wild Honey

Acoustic Stuck would of placed 4th.

All That You Can't Leave Behind is a terrific album. a lot of people dislike it because it left behind the daring exercises of 90s U2. some dislike it because it's bland, uninspired and has too many bad songs. some people's hatred of it seems to have grown because they're playing four songs from it every night of the tour.

when we did the Top 50 albums in B&C, this was my third U2 pick. if we were to do that again, i'd only have AB & JT, because after those two i can't possibly rate U2's albums. but rest assured, this is pretty close to the top.

why? i've always been a worrier, a thinker, reading too much into things, assuming the worst, being pessimistic in general. this record never, ever fails to leave me feeling anything but positive. it's easily my favourite album of the decade, because it has a huge number of affecting songs on it, which is why U2 are my favourite band.

i lost my grandfather in 2005 to cirrhosis of the liver. he was in hospital, and Mum was with him. she rang Dad and told him, who told us. i cried for about an hour i reckon, because i had gone 16 years without experiencing a single loss that really hurt.

after i'd calmed down a bit, i played Kite, and i was gone again. numbers and a few others seem to think Bono is being obvious and generic, but just because the lyrics aren't wrapped up in spellbinding imagery like they are in One Tree Hill, doesn't make it any less powerful. i read out the chorus when we spread his ashes at a family wake.

in 2005 the Aussie crew at the time ran through a number of great threads lamenting the fact that it appeared we would be skipped on the Vertigo Tour. but then, just as it did for 360, an announcement appeared out of nowhere. lucky, because i was getting pretty close to trying to get my head on TV, for fear of never seeing the band i love.

then Edge's daughter got sick, and we didn't know if the shows would be cancelled or postponed. but luck was on our side and they landed in Australia in November 2006, promising "something special" because we didn't get Elevation. we guessed that meant Stuck and Walk On getting a gig, but then Axver mentioned that they'd rehearsed Kite in Brisbane, and then played it the following night - and apparently it was an amazing rendition. i remember to this day my heart jumping, hoping against hope it would make it to Melbourne.

when Kite closed out the concert i was so choked up with emotion i could barely move. the 18th November 2006 is still the best night of my life, despite the fact i've turned 18 and had many great nights out since.

and this is just one of a wealth of reasons why i believe All That You Can't Leave Behind to be a truly wonderful album.

1. Kite
~
2. When I Look at the World
3. Beautiful Day
4. Walk On
5. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
~
6. Stuck in a Moment - like inte, i had been in a rut for about two weeks, i was just miserable and didn't know why. people suggested forcing positive thought, and i did that, and then played this album, and about a minute into Stuck i was happy again, after two weeks of just feeling very down.
7. New York
8. In a Little While
9. Wild Honey
~
10. Peace on Earth
11. Grace
12. Elevation

Back
Top Bottom