Rank Your Favorite Songs on the Album Part 1: Zooropa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, here it goes.

When I was 14 (all of my U2 stories seem to begin this way), my U2 fandom was at its peak, and for Christmas, I was given The Best of 1990-2000. This was awesome for a few reasons, not the least of which was that it was one of the first times I had been given exactly what I asked for for Christmas, but also because it ended up being quite the "U2 Christmas". Lots of little things, plus the Direct TV special which I watched at my dad's house more times than I'd like to admit. As I said, it was definitely the height of my fandom.

Anyways, I was very eager to hear the best of, because I was quite unfamiliar with their 90s output, save Achtung. I would lay in my bed at night with my CD player and listen to that album again and again, loving every minute of it. It's refreshing to think back on the fact that I didn't already know any of the songs, so I wasn't disappointed by the lack of this song, or the wasteland of remixes I now know it to be. Then, it was just U2, it was new, and it was amazing. "Gone", "Stay", "Electrical Storm", it was all mind-blowing and it just absolutely took me away to another place, and now, if I listen to it, it takes me back to that time. The same way listening to Achtung Baby takes me back to 8th grade, but that's another story (that I've already shared a few times).

But, greater than all of those songs, there was "The First Time". I remember being so disappointed when I found out it wasn't the closer on Zooropa, mainly because I was so used to it closing the Best Of, and it was such an important closer to me. The way it made me feel at the end of an album full of a lot of songs of remorse, confusion and despair just topped things off in a way that impacted me in an emotional as well as religious sense. The last lines of that song left me with a lot of confusion about the singer of the song. Was it Bono who felt that way? What did he mean by throwing away the key? Is he lost? Will he be able to find his way back again? These thoughts would keep me awake at night, and in a way, I believe it's the U2 song I've spent the most time with, as far as thought process is concerned.

So, going into 2005, "The First Time" was my favorite U2 song (I had yet to hear The Unforgettable Fire, so TUF and ASOH had not surpassed it yet). For my 18th birthday, my father had purchased me tickets to my first U2 show, 9/20/2005. I was psyched, like the way I felt about the Best Of, I was new to this experience. I didn't follow set-lists, I didn't know what was normal behavior, I hadn't been to many concerts at all, so I expected greatest hits. That made what happened so much better. As many of you may already know, that was the night that U2 played "The First Time" in full for...the first time. I didn't expect it, hell, I'd come to realize it wasn't going to get played, because bands just don't play songs like that at shows, I thought. It moved me to tears, and then Bono did something unexpected. He changed the last line of the song. It gave me a lot more to think about, but it also gave me closure, it gave me peace.

So, there you are, the song still moves me in ways that are quite powerful to be able to say a song can move a person, and that has never changed. I may not feel that power come from every facet of U2's existence like I did in those glory years of 2001-2006, but they are still now and always be my favorite band. And that's because, I still choke up when I hear "The First Time", they still have that impact in my life. I'm still transported to 8th grade when I listen to Achtung Baby, I'm still reminded of all of my high school friends when I hear "Hawkmoon 269". They're just the literal soundtrack to my life. That can't change, can't ever change.

10) Some Days are Better Than Others
9) Babyface
8) The Wanderer
7) Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car
6) The First Time
5) Dirty Day
4) Numb
3) Zooropa
2) Lemon
1) Stay (Faraway, So Close!)

EDIT: Now I kinda want to move "The First Time" up a little bit on my list. That was a great post, bono_212 :wave:

Very nice, thanks for sharing that!

That's awesome about the show experience. What did Bono change the last line of the song to?

Ok, here it goes.

When I was 14 (All of my U2 stories seem to begin this way), my U2 fandom was at its peak, and for Christmas, I was given The Best of 1990-2000. This was awesome for a few reasons, not the least of which was that it was one of the first time's I had been given exactly what I asked for for Christmas, but also because it ended up being quite the "U2 Christmas". Lots of little things, plus the Direct TV special which I watched at my dad's house more times than I'd like to admit. As I said, it was definitely the height of my fandom.

Anyways, I was very eager to hear the best of, because I was quite unfamiliar with their 90s output, save Achtung. I would lay in my bed at night with my CD player and listen to that album again and again, loving every minute of it. It's refreshing to think back on the fact that I didn't already know any of the songs, so I wasn't disappointed by the lack of this song, or the wasteland of remixes I now know it to be. Then, it was just U2, it was new, and it was amazing. "Gone", "Stay", "Electrical Storm", it was all mind-blowing and it just absolutely took me away to another place, and now, if I listen to it, it takes me back to that time. The same way listening to Achtung Baby takes me back to 8th grade, but that's another story (that I've already shared a few times).

But, greater than all of those songs, there was "The First Time". I remember being so disappointed when I found out it wasn't the closer on Zooropa, mainly because I was so used to it closing the Best Of, and it was such an important closer to me. The way it made me feel at the end of an album full of a lot of songs of remorse, confusion and despair just really topped things off in a way that really impacted me in an emotional as well as religious sense. The last lines of that song left me with a lot of confusion about the singer of the song. Was it Bono who felt that way? What did he mean by throwing away the key? Is he lost? Will he be able to find his way back again? These thoughts would keep me awake at night, and in a way, I believe it's the U2 song I've spent the most time with, as far as thought process is concerned.

So, going into 2005, "The First Time" was my favorite U2 song (I had yet to hear The Unforgettable Fire, so TUF and AHOS had not surpassed it yet). For my 18th birthday, my father had purchased me tickets to my first U2 show, 9/20/2005. I was psyched, like the way I felt about the Best Of, I was new to this experience. I didn't follow set-lists, I didn't know what was normal behavior, I hadn't been to many concerts at all, so I expected greatest hits. That made what happened so much better. As many of you may already know, that was the night that U2 played "The First Time" in full for...the first time. I didn't expect it, hell, I'd come to realize it wasn't going to get played, because bands just don't play songs like that at shows, I thought. It moved me to tears, and then Bono did something unexpected. He changed the last line of the song. It gave me a lot more to think about, but it also gave me closure, it gave me peace.

So, There you are, the song still moves me in ways that are quite powerful to be able to say a song can move a person, and that has never changed. I may not feel that power come from every facet of U2's existence like I did in those glory years of 2001-2006, but they are still now and always be my favorite band. And that's because, I still choke up when I hear "The First Time", they still have that impact in my life. I'm still transported to 8th grade when I listen to Achtung Baby, I'm still reminded of all of my high school friends when I hear "Hawkmoon 269". They're just the literal soundtrack to my life. That can't change ever change.

Awesome story, and awesome of you to share that. Thanks, very much. Oh, and from what I understand, the crowd that evening had a VERY special guest.

Oh, shit, almost forgot:

The Apron, please.

Very nice, thanks for sharing that!

That's awesome about the show experience. What did Bono change the last line of the song to?

"But I didn't throw away the key"

It gave me that sense that, sometimes, we sheep will stray, but as long as we keep the faith, then the mansion is still there waiting. Pretty much, it gave me the understanding that I don't have to be perfect, in other words.

Awesome story, and awesome of you to share that. Thanks, very much. Oh, and from what I understand, the crowd that evening had a VERY special guest.

Oh, shit, almost forgot:

The Apron, please.

Yes, I've heard before. I still shudder at the thought.

:). I'm seriously going to do it, for the record.

"But I didn't throw away the key"

It gave me that sense that, sometimes, we sheep will stray, but as long as we keep the faith, then the mansion is still there waiting.

Yes, I've heard before. I still shudder at the thought.

:). I'm seriously going to do it, for the record.

I'd be disappointed if you weren't serious.

I think The First Time has been treated pretty shabbily in here. Not sure if people literally just aren't able to hear the song, but I definitely feel it's overlooked for one reason or other. It's not musically ambitious, copping its chord progression from a couple of other U2 songs, but lyrically it absolutely is. Bono places himself in the perspective of several individuals, each symbolizing a facet of the human experience: lover, sibling, child. He gets progressively more vulnerable as the song progresses, finally delivering that brilliant final line that sums up several albums of self-doubt and spiritual doubt without explicitly stating his position either way. Obviously, Pop tells a very different story, but he kept us anticipating the conclusion.

personally i think The First Time is a little gift placed in amongst the more mediocre second half of Zooropa. a gift that is loved by the few who appreciate it.

four years on, it still hurts me that Dad wouldn't let me go to the second Melbourne show in '06, when they got UTEOTW, Bad and The First Time.

Ok, here it goes.

When I was 14 (all of my U2 stories seem to begin this way), my U2 fandom was at its peak, and for Christmas, I was given The Best of 1990-2000. This was awesome for a few reasons, not the least of which was that it was one of the first times I had been given exactly what I asked for for Christmas, but also because it ended up being quite the "U2 Christmas". Lots of little things, plus the Direct TV special which I watched at my dad's house more times than I'd like to admit. As I said, it was definitely the height of my fandom.

But, greater than all of those songs, there was "The First Time". I remember being so disappointed when I found out it wasn't the closer on Zooropa, mainly because I was so used to it closing the Best Of, and it was such an important closer to me. The way it made me feel at the end of an album full of a lot of songs of remorse, confusion and despair just topped things off in a way that impacted me in an emotional as well as religious sense. The last lines of that song left me with a lot of confusion about the singer of the song. Was it Bono who felt that way? What did he mean by throwing away the key? Is he lost? Will he be able to find his way back again? These thoughts would keep me awake at night, and in a way, I believe it's the U2 song I've spent the most time with, as far as thought process is concerned.

So, going into 2005, "The First Time" was my favorite U2 song (I had yet to hear The Unforgettable Fire, so TUF and ASOH had not surpassed it yet). For my 18th birthday, my father had purchased me tickets to my first U2 show, 9/20/2005. I was psyched, like the way I felt about the Best Of, I was new to this experience. I didn't follow set-lists, I didn't know what was normal behavior, I hadn't been to many concerts at all, so I expected greatest hits. That made what happened so much better. As many of you may already know, that was the night that U2 played "The First Time" in full for...the first time. I didn't expect it, hell, I'd come to realize it wasn't going to get played, because bands just don't play songs like that at shows, I thought. It moved me to tears, and then Bono did something unexpected. He changed the last line of the song. It gave me a lot more to think about, but it also gave me closure, it gave me peace.

So, there you are, the song still moves me in ways that are quite powerful to be able to say a song can move a person, and that has never changed. I may not feel that power come from every facet of U2's existence like I did in those glory years of 2001-2006, but they are still now and always be my favorite band. And that's because, I still choke up when I hear "The First Time", they still have that impact in my life. I'm still transported to 8th grade when I listen to Achtung Baby, I'm still reminded of all of my high school friends when I hear "Hawkmoon 269". They're just the literal soundtrack to my life. That can't change, can't ever change.

You talked earlier about being envious of the way people write about their passion/love for a song or album. Now I know that feeling. Beautiful post, I know full well that feeling of hearing these songs for the, um, first time...(swear no pun intended there), and your statement about them being the soundtrack of your life and how they'll always be your favorite band-yes. Absolutely yes. Took the words out of my mouth with that one.

Awesome concert story as well, I like the changed line as much as the original. My favorite thing about "The First Time" are the lyrics. It seems to be, if we take it at face value, Bono's way of thanking everyone around him who keeps him centered and loves him, warts and all, and "throwing away the key" might be his way of saying that sometimes he doesn't always properly show his appreciation for their love and support as much as he should/would like to.

Of course, then there's all the other various interpretations and whatnot, too, that are just as likely and perhaps more close to the true meaning of the song. Regardless, lovely song, yes, and you properly shared why it's so meaningful :). I think the band would like your post very much if they were to ever read it.

Angela

nice, Trashley.

you all just wait until we get to Atty Club, i'm going to bombard 1/15th of one page with a bunch of paragraphs.

:corn:

Will be the ultimate bitchfight between the Attyclub Lovers and the Attyclub Haters.

I can't believe that a whole state loves that album, oh wait, I'm not thinking what you're thinking, am I?

I wasn't a U2 fan at the time of Zooropa's release, but it was my first taste of their 90s work when I was working through their back catalogue, and on the first listen my shocked reaction was, holy crap this is U2?? Once the novelty wore off, I decided that about half of the album's songs were actually quite mediocre, but that first listen was sure a kick in the head :)

That was a cool story, and I love that changing of the last line. :up:

TFT has grown on me heaps in the past year or so, and my first memory of it was as this unremarkable short tune thrown at the end of the 90's BEST OF, and it kinda frustrated me (due to the absence of Fly, Lemon, Please). Gotta love the tune though, lyrics are amazing.

1. Zooropa
2. Lemon
3. Stay
4. Numb
5. The Wanderer
6. The First Time
7. Dirty Day
8. Babyface
9. Daddy's Gonna Pay
10. Some Days

Wonder how far the siren would go up the list for some people? :hmm:

1. Stay
2. Zooropa
3. The First Time
4. The Wanderer
5. Lemon
6. Daddy's Gonna Pay
7. Numb
8. Dirty Day
9. Babyface
10. Some Days

01. Some Days Are Better Than Others
02. Lemon
03. Zooropa
04. The First Time
05. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
06. Dirty Day
07. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
08. Numb
09. The Wanderer
10. Babyface

I didn't realise how much I liked this album until I performed this exercise!

1.Stay
2.Lemon
3.Zooropa
4.Daddy's Gonnna Pay For Your Crashed Car
5.Dirty Day
6.Numb
7.Babyface
8.The First Time
9.Some Days Are Better Than Others
10.The Wanderer

I wish these threads generated more conversation, but here goes:

1. Zooropa
2. Stay
3. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
4. The First Time
5. Dirty Day
6. The Wanderer
7. Leahhhhhmmmmmooooon
8. Some Days Are Better Than Others
9. Babyface
117. Numb

Wow :shocked: we agree on almost every level...

Although I would switch 5 and 6 based on the fact that the studio version of DD isn't as good as it was live.

Wow :shocked: we agree on almost every level...

Although I would switch 5 and 6 based on the fact that the studio version of DD isn't as good as it was live.

Agreed that Dirty Day Live is superior to the studio track, but I still like it better than The Wanderer, if ever so slightly.

1) Zooropa
2) Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
3) Lemon
4) Numb
5) Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
6) The First Time
7) Dirty Day
8) The Wanderer
9) Some Days Are Better Than Others
10) Babyface

You talked earlier about being envious of the way people write about their passion/love for a song or album. Now I know that feeling. Beautiful post, I know full well that feeling of hearing these songs for the, um, first time...(swear no pun intended there), and your statement about them being the soundtrack of your life and how they'll always be your favorite band-yes. Absolutely yes. Took the words out of my mouth with that one.

Awesome concert story as well, I like the changed line as much as the original. My favorite thing about "The First Time" are the lyrics. It seems to be, if we take it at face value, Bono's way of thanking everyone around him who keeps him centered and loves him, warts and all, and "throwing away the key" might be his way of saying that sometimes he doesn't always properly show his appreciation for their love and support as much as he should/would like to.

Of course, then there's all the other various interpretations and whatnot, too, that are just as likely and perhaps more close to the true meaning of the song. Regardless, lovely song, yes, and you properly shared why it's so meaningful :). I think the band would like your post very much if they were to ever read it.

Angela

For the record, I think it was Cori who made the comment about wanting to be able to write about her passion/love for songs. I could ramble on and on about them, ;) lol.

Thank you for reading that, I know it's pretty rambly.
That was a cool story, and I love that changing of the last line. :up:

TFT has grown on me heaps in the past year or so, and my first memory of it was as this unremarkable short tune thrown at the end of the 90's BEST OF, and it kinda frustrated me (due to the absence of Fly, Lemon, Please). Gotta love the tune though, lyrics are amazing.

And thank you as well.

If any of you were curious, here's the thread that was started after the lyric change occurred:
http://www.u2interference.com/forum...ain-and-first-time-the-first-time-142714.html

Enjoy some prime awful bono_212 posting ;).

1. Stay
2. First time
3. Zooropa
4. The Wanderer
5. Dirty day

6. Babyface

7. Numb
8. Lemon

9. Daddy
10. Some days

Back
Top Bottom