Random Music Thread LXXII: National Lampoon's Bogan Vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized that the Spider-Man musical stole it's title from a Howie B record (Turn the Dark Off --> Turn Off the Dark). I'm a few years late, on this one, but there you go.

Yellow Stitches - Our City - YouTube

HELL YES. this is more like it.

i was feeling open-minded, and tried to listen to the lumineers, kendrick lamar, and imagine dragons because they were all sitting atop spotify and i figured why the fuck not. failing to make it through more than 2 songs from any of those albums without wanting to stab myself in the eardrums with sharpened chopsticks, i thought i would try death grips. congratulations, death grips guy. itgoesitgoesitgoesitgoes may be one of the most irritating things in all music, let alone amidst the rest of the contrived bullshit that makes up the first 3 songs on that album...i kind of figured that since LM hates it, i might like it. nah, stuff is shit.

then i happily remembered yellow stitches had an album out over the summer that i never got around to hearing. life is much, much better now.

IWasBored said:
failing to make it through more than 2 songs from any of those albums without wanting to stab myself in the eardrums with sharpened chopsticks, i thought i would try death grips. congratulations, death grips guy. itgoesitgoesitgoesitgoes may be one of the most irritating things in all music, let alone amidst the rest of the contrived bullshit that makes up the first 3 songs on that album...i kind of figured that since LM hates it, i might like it. nah, stuff is shit.

:hi5:

Money Store was my pick for most overrated album in that Pitchfork readers poll they're doing. Since it's a Pitchfork poll, my vote will be buried.

Bitch dont kill my vibe was more tolerable than guillotine, and I turned that off midway remembering yup, i still hate most hip hop (especially tracks with weird alien vocals). I'm not going near the money store.

Intentionally cobblering it up on ariel pink/haunted graffiti. It's supposedly be be really, really fucking funny, right? Cos it's hilarious. Um, did that guy really just say bring on the bogan shemales hopped on meth?

OK. OK. This new album of theirs. I have like, this ridiculous protective feeling about it. Like, I didn't really hear Before Today a lot, Travis argues I never heard it. And I didn't like it a ton. And Mature Themes, it's not great or anything, but for some reason I just love it. A lot.

Especially this song:

Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Live It Up - YouTube

Only could find a live version :(

Bitch dont kill my vibe was more tolerable than guillotine, and I turned that off midway remembering yup, i still hate most hip hop (especially tracks with weird alien vocals). I'm not going near the money store.

Good Kid is probably my AOTY, friend. And Money Store goes so damn hard.

Of the 20 or 30 hip hop releases I've heard, I would say R.A.P. Music is the most fun rap album of the year. It's taut, intense and Killer Mike is such a charismatic MC. A great throwback sound too, from El-P of all people.

Best? I mean, Good Kid is what every album should aspire to. It's so thoughtfully constructed, lovingly produced (note how every beat fits the mood of whatever direction the story has taken) and detailed in its writing...it's definitely an album for people who still love the idea of albums in general. You absolutely must hear it, in one go, with the lyrics in front of you. Kendrick's not the world's greatest MC, but he's good enough, and clearly one of the most creative men in hip-hop.

I also love that new Nas album.

OK. OK. This new album of theirs. I have like, this ridiculous protective feeling about it. Like, I didn't really hear Before Today a lot, Travis argues I never heard it. And I didn't like it a ton. And Mature Themes, it's not great or anything, but for some reason I just love it. A lot.

Especially this song:

Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Live It Up - YouTube

Only could find a live version :(

Don't worry, I'm not going to talk shit about it. I kind of enjoyed it. Quite a bit. Unless it's serious, then fuck that album. But I can't begin to see how something like symphony of the nymph might be taking itself seriously, and for that, it's a little bit awesome. Something on it got Elvis Costello singing the chorus of "cruel to be kind" stuck in my head on a loop, and I cannot figure out exactly what that was. I thought that was kind of interesting.

I would imagine, with a song about schnitzel. I still don't know what it is, other than German and food. But that song was nowhere near as bad as I expected, just a little too long.

This is not a sarcastic question, I just don't want to interrupt the album: Is Alt-J supposed to have REALLY REALLY REALLY buried vocals? I've had situations in the past where the computers at school don't get along with my headphones, so that might be what's going on. But if it's supposed to sound like that I don't want to mess around.

Ah fuck, ended up hearing the whole album like that only to find out that my head phones WERE screwing it up :(.

It was super pretty without the vocals, I'll have to give it another listen.

They were pretty terrible the way I just heard them (I had to flip the headphone cable back around, just FYI), but I REALLY liked what I heard from track 3 to the end.

Also, holy shit am I in love with Walk the Moon's self-titled. I had heard the lead single, "Anna Sun" aaaaaaages ago, and I knew I was going to like it. Not sure why I put it off soooooo friggin' long:

WALK THE MOON - Anna Sun - YouTube

Really looking forward to this Nick Cave concert, you guys. Seats should be impeccable.

I hope they don't sell out or anything. Due to THE 'MAC my concert ticket money is a bit tied up at the moment.

Sharon Van Etten opening!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom