Random Music Talk XXVII: The Return of Knife Crime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, already I'm second-guessing putting TUF at three. But I don't know what else would go there. As much as I love TUF, Pop and No Line, neither feels "right" to put as my third favorite.

UF is the most atmospheric and possibly most sonically interesting album, which goes a loooong way for me. It's "slight" in parts, and not always successful musically, but so what. Absolutely adore it, and Promenade is a highlight.

1. The Joshua Tree
2. The Unforgettable Fire
3. War
4. Boy
5. Achtung Baby
6. October
7. Zooropa
8. Rattle & Hum
9. Pop
10. No Line On The Horizon
11. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
12. All That You Can't Leave Behind

I'm not quite sure how we missed this obvious 'cockification before, instead opting for "CockWar". Well-done.

In places, Passengers is stunning. As a whole, though, it feels to me like an undercooked Eno album in the sense that it lacks the cohesion of his ambient albums.

I'm always surprised at how highly UF ranks for people. To me, it is inconsistent: four great songs, four sub-par songs, and two decent atmospheric pieces. Had they utilized the b-sides and leftovers from the sessions on the actual album, it could have been their best, I think. That something like "Promenade" is on the album while "The Three Sunrises" was relegated to b-side status is beyond me.

Agreed with your take on UF. I don't get it either. I guess because it represents the band's first artistic left turn, it gets a lot of credit. And like Lance said, it really sounds great. But yeah, there just aren't enough standout tracks to me, and in that regard I'd prefer to listen to Cockengers where at least Eno is putting forth some more interesting ideas, even if there's nothing as good as A Sort of Cockcoming. And I really don't enjoy listening to the studio version of Bad(minton).

1. Achtung Birdie

2. Cockropa
3. POPPYCOCK
4. The Joshua Cock

5. How To Manhandle An Atomic Serve
6. No Net On The Horizon
7. Ball Boy
8. Shuttle & Bum

9. Vaginal Mound-Smacks One
10. The Unforgettable Liar
11. All That You Can't Leave Courtside

12. Whore
13. Cocktober

So we found an unopened copy of an Insane Clown Posse DVD somewhere within my roommate's DVD collections. I'm not sure why she has an Insane Clown Posse DVD, but I'm trying not to think about it too much as I find in deeply disturbing. Anyway, thought you guys might like to check out the bullet points on the back of the case

photo2mn.jpg

1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. Zooropa
4. The Unforgettable Fire
5. Pop
6. Boy
7. No Line On The Horizon
8. Passengers
9. Rattle & Hum
10. All That You Can't Leave Behind
11. War
12. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
13. October

1. Pop
  2. The Unforgettable Fire
  3. Zooropa
  4. The Joshua Tree
  5. October
  6. No Line On The Horizon
  7. Achtung Baby
  8. Passengers
  9. Boy
  10. Rattle & Hum
  11. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
  12. War
  13. All That You Can't Leave Behind

The reason I count TUF as my favorite isn't just because of the album, but the entire era was so excellent, b-sides and all. I just wish they'd made better choices about which tracks were album tracks and which were b-sides.

PhilsFan said:
You need to get pictures with the good looking ones a la Dirty Projectors.

Not tonight. It's a date with a girl better looking that all of them. Swag out the ass.

Plus a photo with any of those girls wouldn't pester Laz, which was the main selling point of snagging that THE COFF! photo.

What a callback. That is some intricate comedy styling right there. Bravo.

Has anyone heard The Lonely Forest's album?

I haven't yet, but I'd like to state that I saw them play in a bar in Anacortes a handful of years back, during the week of the town's annual music festival.

Look at my teensy bit of "I saw them when" indie cred! :cute:

The reason I count TUF as my favorite isn't just because of the album, but the entire era was so excellent, b-sides and all. I just wish they'd made better choices about which tracks were album tracks and which were b-sides.

Yeah, this.

1. The Unforgettable Fire
2. Boy
3. Passengers
4. The Joshua Tree
5. October
6. Pop
7. Zooropa
8. War
9. No Line On The Horizon
10. Achtung Baby
11. Rattle And Hum

120. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

13,000. All That You Can't Leave Behind

I'm kind of with him. Achtung doesn't do that much for me either.

I thought I was the only one around who had that gif in their arsenal. I should bring it out more often.

Abel
Mr November
Bloodbuzz Ohio
Terrible Love
All the Wine
Secret Meeting

Achtung Baby
The Joshua Tree
~
Zooropa (Babyface, Daddy's Gonna Pay & Some Days are all stellar tracks if you aske me :shrug:)
The Unforgettable Fire
Pop
Boy
All That You Can't Leave Behind
~
No Line on the Horizon
Passengers
October
~
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
War
Rattle and Hum

something like that I guess, but Achtung and JT are the only ones I can rate for certain.

I like the studio version better than the live version, personally.

glad I'm not the only one! the live version is based on the synths, and the guitar is less pronounced, whereas with the studio version, it's the other way round. that's not to say that Bad is, er, bad live, just that I prefer the studio version.

Why is it that we all rank War so low? It has two of their biggest and best hits, plus Drowning Man, Two Hearts and Surrender. I don't enjoy listening to it, in fact I probably haven't in at least three or so years.

It's got amazing songs on it, and there's little on it I actively dislike it, and yet I always rank it low. I can't put my finger on why exactly I don't love the album as a whole. Something about the way it sounds, and whether it's the production or the songs themselves when listened to back-to-back ... I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom