Random Music Talk XXI: Check Out This F@&!#%' Shouter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He made a fabulous choice with Lady Grinning Soul. Of numerous, numerous worthy contenders, that track sits atop my Bowie pedestal.

Not a bad list, but random ass comments.

Boner's all about the random ass.

bono-1.jpg

Rumor has it Scarlet was rehearsed with Jay-Z rapping over it

i've never hoped for a false-r rumor before. either way, i know it's nothing i'd ever hear, but still. i hate that. call me close-minded :shrug:

Well, I was wrong. Shuttlecock actually did play
Harlot for their first NZ show, and Jay-Z did rap over it. Curious to hear it. Unfortunately, they also teamed up again for Sunday Bloody Service, and if it was anything like the Berlin Wall perf, well...not good.

In other news, the shitty parts of the setlist haven't changed at all! Way to shake it up.

:wave:

So we wanted to watch some shitty TV in Bishop last night, and my beloved recommended Human Target because he'd seen a commercial for it on his flight back from SF. Holy cow, what an appalling program! It's bad in the way Starsky and Hutch was bad, but updated! I may have to start watching TV, at least every Wednesday at 8.

Well, I was wrong. Shuttlecock actually did play
Harlot for their first NZ show, and Jay-Z did rap over it. Curious to hear it. Unfortunately, they also teamed up again for Sunday Bloody Service, and if it was anything like the Berlin Wall perf, well...not good.

In other news, the shitty parts of the setlist haven't changed at all! Way to shake it up.
here you go :)

and also

As part of my end-of-the-year wrap up music list extravaganza, I'm listening to Contra for just the second time this year. I barely remember listening to it.

I thought that was already established months ago? All the news outlets are acting like it's big news.

My big question right now is not about that; who will represent the NFC in the Super Bowl?

ap-b372b2426af24e5c8c223f3bd1af6969.jpg

Would be a shame for you guys to lose to the Pats again.

Anyway, am I the only one who doesn't give a shit about this Cock Awake in Europe thing? Yes, I have a record player but are we that deprived of new material that this is some kind of must-hear recording?

Of course, had they not butchered MercyRule I may have felt differently.

All I know is, my plan to leak the song to the radio station years ago appears to have been a good one, and it's too bad there weren't more people in favor of the idea.

As an aside, they did not entirely ditch the "ripping the stitches" guitar part (per se). That part is used as the little guitar solo near the end, one octave higher.

Still, it's a neutered version without that pre-chorus.

It amazes me that some of us were worried they would change it too much, and it winds up being a worst-case scenario realized. I don't think it's a stretch to call that part you mentioned the best element of the song. Certainly for me it is because of the guitar and the beat.

So it may have been salvaged in some way, but it's the one thing that shouldn't have been touched at all.

The pre-chorus/chorus had a great guitar and melody combo. I didn't mind the lyric change because the original chorus was weak anyway, and I'm glad most of the verse lyrics are intact. But yeah, it sounds really off skipping that pre-chorus. Kind of ruins the song.

Well the original chorus lyrics weren't that great, but surely you don't think "You wanna kill me/and I wanna die" is an improvement? I'm not mourning the loss of the old one so much as shaking my head at Boner's failure in crafting something else.

It doesn't at all make sense with the song, but the only way to enjoy U2 anymore is to ignore basically all the lyrics because Bono lost the plot a while ago.

Well, I do think he rebounded to a certain extent on No Line, but of course he also hit some new lows on the same album.

On a promising musical note, if we're to believe a new interview with Claycourt from some NZ paper, he said the band has closed the chapter on the "back to basics" period of the last three albums (I didn't know No Net was part of that, but whatever) and that the new material is uncharted territory for them.

Unfortunately, McCockne$$ has recently said that the new album has "lots of hits".

This could get ugly.

...and that the new material is uncharted territory for them.

I don't think that any of us really believe this, do we? They said the same bloody things about No Line, and any of us who are familiar with the indie scene, which is essentially all of us here, know that that particular album was anything but inventive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom