Random Music Talk XLVI: No, studio Bad(minton) is NOT better than the live version.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Read back one post. :) Edit: There are maybe one or two other things I'm missing from the uber - maybe it comes with an old issue of Propaganda from that time, too? I know in the book there's an article from Propaganda, but I think someone said it's a separate thing in the uber set.

Oh, duh - and you get the vinyl with the uber. That's a big one. (But you can also get those separately.)

For such a supposedly obsessive fan, I sure do miss a lot. I'm sure I'd heard this many times along the line (and I have the complete AB outtakes on MP3 somewhere ... shows you how often I've listened to them), but I didn't realize Down All the Days was the genesis of Numb. Shit, cat. It's awesome.

Really liked Oh Berlin as well.

I think the fancy version got a blu-ray as well as the DVD, maybe I'm mixed up with another artist's fancy version. Yeah, Down All the Days is cool, I like it too. Sounds like a good use of PTO day to me, Cori.

I think you're right, mofo, about the Blu-Ray. Which is reassuring to me to learn that it's more than just some buttons and stickers. ;)

Someone want to hook a brother up with these demos or unreleased tracks or what-have-you?

Strangers suck.

You are ever so welcome. ;)

I'm happy to have an official version of that too, along with the little stuff that was on the VHS tape with the AB videos. It was hard to part with that when I realized I'd never have a VCR again, but it did also feel good to let myself believe that I wasn't such an obsessive collector that I COULDN'T let it go. Ha.

cobl04 said:
Just heard Kick, Push (yes this is how far behind I am when it comes to good hip-hop at times). Holy shit.

Fuck yes. That sample was a revelation for me too, back in the day. :wink:

Socially-conscious rappers should write songs about poor white kids who can't afford Achtung Baby Super Deluxe and are therefore trying to tune out 85% of this thread.

I love Hedge's guitar work on Servin' In Hell, but it's clearly something he laid down in 2011. And the problem with this and Blow Your Cock Down isn't Boner's vocals per se, but his new lyrics. They guy has a tendency to squeeze in too many words/syllables on these tracks (and it's present on Wave Of Volleys as well) and it sounds too literate for the music; unnatural. And obv that comes from writing lyrics to something 20 years only and not being able to get into the same vibe. Blow Berlin works because it's a spoken word piece anyway, but even there some of the imagery seems forced. Boner wrote more eloquently about Wim Wenders' imagery back in 1993.

His 1991 vocal on Every Birdie Loves A Winner is fantastic, though. And I can't speak highly enough of Down All The Cocks. What a tune.

As for the Kindergarten stuff, Love Is Badminton is the biggest revelation. Beano's keyboards are amazing, and the whole thing just sounds scary/sinister to me, and reminds me of the Goblin scores for Dario Argento's classic horror films. I was a little bummed at how low Hedge's guitar is in the mix, esp considering his story in the documentary about putting everything he had into one of the takes on the solo.

Yeah, digging all the bonus track to varying degrees, even the few I've heard before in other forms. Agreed with Laz on most of the specifics.

Also managed to forget how fucking awesome Lady with the Spinning Head is.

So this is pretty rad. Texas started offering alumni @utexas.edu emails run through gmail. Neat, but I'm not really going to be switching email addresses this late in the game. However, one positive is using this new .edu address to get me some free Amazon Prime.

Now I can order my media like a true Utahn. Threw down for the Childish Gambino LP preorder already.

So, after all these years of only owning an acoustic, and having to play friends' electrics, I've finally purchased an electric guitar and an amp.

I gave myself a $150 - $200 budget range, went to a couple pawn shops, and settled on this:

13524_l.jpg

302700extraLarge.jpg

Obviously not the greatest equipment in the world, but those two together for a little over $150, I think it's a good deal. And fine for just messing around in my room and practicing and all that.

I probably could have done a little more research (I don't know a damn thing about amps) and maybe gotten some slightly better stuff, but fuck it, it was sort of an impulse thing anyway. And the color on the guitar really stood out. What say you? Maybe I should ask the crazy experts in the guitar tech forum, too.

You could certainly change out the pickups if the guitar turns out to be sound like a complete piece of shit.

It being a Squier, it probably won't have good pickups, so what Imps is saying is a good plan.

I have a Fender Strat with an Ibanez amp, as well as an Ibanez acoustic. I really want to buy some effects pedals, but all my extra money (money I'm pretending is extra) is going towards getting a new phone.

That's the thing. I'm nowhere near an expert on this stuff, but I just played with it a little bit and I think it sounds pretty good.

I just needed something new, you know? I feel like there's only so much you can do or come up with when you've been playing the exact same acoustic guitar for 5 years. A new guitar, especially an electric, might inspire me a little bit. As the corny saying goes...it might have some songs hidden in it somewhere.

It's got a couple of minor nicks and marks on it, and I can tell its previous owner actually played it a lot, instead of just letting it gather dust. Which is cool. I think a guitar that's been broken in with a little bit of personality like that is better than some shiny brand new thing just out of the plastic wrapping.

It's definitely nice to have both. I've got an Epiphone Les Paul and a Martin DXME Dreadnought.

My Epiphone SG Standard is pretty shit, but that itself has its charms. Plus, I needed something to gig with besides my 50th anniversary Standard Strat, which I usually don't even like taking out of the house. My acoustic is a cheap Peavey with a hole in the back that I got for about 40% off, but I've written many a song with it. Electric guitars usually don't inspire me to write much, but the riffs I write with them can help to glue pieces together. Of course, I'm lazy and never want to set up my entire rig so I can play it right.

It being a Squier, it probably won't have good pickups, so what Imps is saying is a good plan.

Ha, yeah, been doing a little research, and looks like most people on the interwebs are saying that Squier isn't very good quality. Damn. Oh, well. Like I said, I probably should have done some more research before buying but, I definitely don't think the thing sounds bad. And I don't need anything that's perfect.

What's this business about changing the pickups, though? Is that super expensive or anything?

What I need to do now is get some obnoxious and cliche stickers and stuff to put on the body of the guitar. Like maybe a Black Flag logo or some shit.

Baby Tryin' To Throw Your Arms is an interesting take on the song. Bono tries rhyming something with cabbage, there's a big campfire harmony, and a harmonica going in the background.

Yeah, that one surprised me as well. I liked Bono laughing after the cabbage line.

One was also a nice surprise with the acoustic guitar so prominent.

Zooropa sounds awesome all cranked up. Does it sound any different than the original? No fucking clue. But it sounds great.

I also put a little too much brandy into my tea, so that might be influencing my opinion at the moment.

After a brief listen, I think Baby One, Tryin, and Love Is Blindness are the Kindergarten copies that people would get the most out of. Listen to the whole thing if you want to hear some jazzed up song structures and lyrics, but....I think it's pretty undeniable that the band ended up picking the right versions for the album cut.

Love Is Blindness is an interesting case because Edge's got a different sound, but the guitar ultimately crosses over from brooding to languid: check out the album cut's percussion in comparison and hear the guidance Larry adds.

I really, really hope that this shit about Justin Bieber getting a girl pregnant turns out to be true.

I saw a tweet about that this morning. Is there actually some merit to it?

Nobody knows yet. Honestly, I would guess it's totally not true, and someone's just desperate for attention. Could also be someone just looking to tarnish his reputation. You know, there are sick people out there that see someone so successful, shining so bright in the public eye, and they just want to knock him down.

(And then there are sick people like me who would just sit back and watch him fall from the comfort of my living room couch.)

Is it not Selena Gomez? Cos then I will absolutely agree with you.

No, it's not Selena. Some totally random chick who claims the Biebs impregnated her after one of his concerts last year.

It's not easy for me to believe, but the Apollo 440 remix of One is pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom