Random Music Talk XCVI - Counting Down Cobbler's Return to America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm quite interested in how people view sexuality in pop music... particularly how females view their fellow musicians. You'll find some people who say Miley Cyrus is some sort of new-day feminist and then you'll find others who can't stand what she's doing. Here's Warpaint on Beyonce...

Warpaint Criticize Beyoncé and Rihanna for "Hyper-Sexual" Music | News | Pitchfork

That pissed me off. There can certainly be a discussion about sexualization and the male gaze, and junk like that, but that ain't happening here.

Beyonce sings about having sex with her husband and that makes her a slut? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA OKAY LADY.

Feminism and a woman presenting herself as a sexual being are not mutually exclusive.

If Theresa is to be believed (and she probably is), all that shit was taken out of context.

That would not surprise me. I would be curious to see what the full context is, because if she's going to bitch about feminism and pop music, using the word "slut" in relation to Beyonce is still some anti-feminist bullshit right there.

Edit: a nice explanation/apology. I forgive you, person I never heard of until yesterday!

http://www.stereogum.com/1679112/wa...beyonce-is-slutty/franchises/wheres-the-beef/

I'm quite interested in how people view sexuality in pop music... particularly how females view their fellow musicians. You'll find some people who say Miley Cyrus is some sort of new-day feminist and then you'll find others who can't stand what she's doing. Here's Warpaint on Beyonce...

Warpaint Criticize Beyoncé and Rihanna for "Hyper-Sexual" Music | News | Pitchfork

she should keep her mouth shut about what other women do because she sounds foolish as hell. as cori already said, even taken out of context, using the word slut to describe beyonce's sex with her own fucking husband is just absurd. or you know, using slut AT ALL to denigrate a woman's sexuality.

I do respect that she apologized/explained promptly though.

also, dj rashad did not die of a drug overdose. it was a blood clot. apparently the paraphernalia found next to his body was marijuana related, so good job chicago police for perpetuating the rumor that it was an overdose.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/may/01/dj-rashad-died-blood-clot-not-drugs?CMP=twt_gu

she should keep her mouth shut about what other women do because she sounds foolish as hell. as cori already said, even taken out of context, using the word slut to describe beyonce's sex with her own fucking husband is just absurd. or you know, using slut AT ALL to denigrate a woman's sexuality.

I do respect that she apologized/explained promptly though.

also, dj rashad did not die of a drug overdose. it was a blood clot. apparently the paraphernalia found next to his body was marijuana related, so good job chicago police for perpetuating the rumor that it was an overdose.

DJ Rashad died as a result of a blood clot, not drugs | Music | theguardian.com

It was a pot overdose dude.

... using the word slut to describe beyonce's sex with her own fucking husband is just absurd. or you know, using slut AT ALL to denigrate a woman's sexuality.

683846593988444590_zpsc35a57d8.gif

What the shit, Wayne Coyne? I remember when I first got interested in them, I read a book about them, watched whatever that doc was, and I got the impression that he was a cool dude. Was I woefully misinformed, or is he having a midlife crisis in which he turns into a giant asshole?

Damon Albarn's Everyday Robots:

Was surprised there wasn't a thread for this yet, and then I listened to it today.

Haven't been this bored and disappointed by an album from someone I really like since PJ Harvey's White Chalk.

Actually makes me want to listen to The Good, The Bad, and The Queen again to see if it sounds good by comparison.

Job tangent:

I'm leaving the venue I told y'all about where I've worked since 2012 and joining the marketing department at the F1 track and its amphitheater. Full time shit, benefits, big upgrade all around, a real job for a real boy. Absolutely fucking thrilled.

And now back to posting about Banks.

F1 as in Formula One racing? If so, gimme tix.

Has anyone ever had Epic Bars? If you eat meat, try them all. Delicious.

Job tangent:

I'm leaving the venue I told y'all about where I've worked since 2012 and joining the marketing department at the F1 track and its amphitheater. Full time shit, benefits, big upgrade all around, a real job for a real boy. Absolutely fucking thrilled.

Fucking awesome man, stoked for you, glad all your full-time energies will be going to a good place. I love the F1s.

Good shit, man. And think about it. Shuttlecock will be performing at that very amphitheater on their next tour.

Damon Albarn's Everyday Robots:

Was surprised there wasn't a thread for this yet, and then I listened to it today.

Haven't been this bored and disappointed by an album from someone I really like since PJ Harvey's White Chalk.

Actually makes me want to listen to The Good, The Bad, and The Queen again to see if it sounds good by comparison.

What didn't you like about it? Cringeworthy lyrics aside, I thought it was very pleasant and listenable. Not something I would listen to all the time, but good background music.

Nowhere near as good as White Chalk though :drool:

I enjoyed Damon Albarn's new album, although that Mr. Tembo song was one of the worst things he's been involved in.

That's awesome news, Imps, I'm really excited for your next big thing!

That's less awesome news, Martha, but yes, AAA is awesome.

Job tangent:

Nice. Congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom