Random Music Talk XCVI - Counting Down Cobbler's Return to America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I too was struck by how nice people were, even in the face of thousands of white arsehole tourists.

Speaking of arseholes... caught the Staten Island ferry today to get a glimpse of the Statue of Liberty, and on the way back there is a bloke who closes the departure gate. And there were three people sprinting to the gate, and he slammed the door closed on them. Bit harsh, I thought, but I had a bit of a chuckle and then asked him if it was fun (in a perverse sort of way, like when you see people miss the train). He did not take it kindly. "No. I get called an asshole hundreds of times a day. Do you think that's fun? Huh? I bet you don't get called an asshole all day." (I don't, but I also don't slam doors shut on people when there's three people and no one else metres away from a gate.) "I hate my job. What do you do for a living huh?" "I'm a writer." "Imagine having thousands of people write to you every day saying 'your books suck'."

And then came the cherry on top... "You're not writing Game of Thrones."

I was so bemused... like he was so angry that he belittled my entire livelihood and basically said I was terrible at writing :lol:

Damn. Should have offered to buy him a drink for all that salt.

I've discovered that people generally hate writers unless the author writes a series they love. And everybody hates journalists, especially if they're famous. Good luck.

DJ Rashad passed away today and no one knows why. Really surreal when someone dies not long after you've seen them live, especially when they're so young. He's kind of a big deal here in Chicago and Pitchfork loved him.

Last edited:
i read that as "heaven and hell sucks" and thought we were going to have to fight.

:lol:
No, no, it's definitely one of my favorite Who tracks.

And besides, while there are songs on Leeds, in their studio incarnations, that I can live without ever hearing again (Happy Jack, Magic Bus), all of the live versions are incredible. They could have made Squeeze Box sound good that night, if it had existed.
:lmao:

:hmm: maaaaybe

H&H> THAT is my fave Who/Entwhistle song!
Only heard it once live- they opened with it when they played Tommy at The Metropolitan Opera House in 70!
I was blown away. So Powerful ( and witty)!

:lol: i nalready posted a long post about some of my fave Who Cercerts elswhere a few hours back and now i relive another one!

going back to Cobbler's USA Adventure!

I'm with Cobbler. I have no clue how people survive in weather below 50. It's below 70 right now and I'm cold.
and this is baffling to me. anything over 70 and i start to get cranky about it being too warm.
I'm always fascinated in people's reactions to rather different weather /or really different landscapes.

So tj99 & IWB have oppsing experiences....

i'm a nyc'r. After about 5 day experience around 30 yrs ago where it didn't get above 15°F/-9.4°C in the day (it was sunny most of it) I swore I wouldn't complain about cold -zing) and some of the high tec outer gear or inner say from from Uniqlo- a transplanted texan friend loves thier "heat tech" long sleave top.

Summer i feel mostly good to very good up to about
80/81°F = 26.6/27.2C° IF the Humidity stays on the low-just medium side. That'd be around 40- 47%. As it gets very warm to hot esp with higher Humidity (56% plus) I start to need A/C to sleep.

So also opposite end for me people who love 93F plus (i can take a dry 90F here & there < ha sounds like fine wines>)... nooo thanks!

Now you've had the true New York experience.
Ha, ha, h....... :|

I really bristle at that stereotype. I'm a born & bred nycr.

Yes, we nyc'rs can be rushed at times..... but everytime i've ever had a fall people came over to help me. I usualy try & help people if I can. And most people I encounter are on the considerate side no matter which (of the 5) burrough I'm in.

Most of my fellow NYC'rs are good folk :) , who like anyone can be cranky on occasion.
There's always a few consistant a-hats out there- here and anywhere.

oh look at me.... practically took up a whole page of posts :lol:

ah, well......

sorry to hear about your DJ R in the Chicago area .... one of the cities in our country i still haven't visited and def want to!

Very interesting posts about your(multi-posters) experiences in Asia. My farthest away airflight was NYC > Puerto Rico. (though i have been across The USA by bus!) So you can see I've not gotten "over the waters" east or west. A mix of low $ and esp just terribly anxious about flying even when i had $.

I have a close friend who visited to Japan, China, So Korea just a few years back, and went to India 25 yrss ago or so. A good friend lived in Malaysia for a while (as a ?child), and in Thailand in her mid-late 30's.
I'm generally interested in cultures all around the world- so i'm an arm chair visitor, and enjoy people's travel stories from all over. :)

:der: lost a bit of post ...weather....

i swore that i wouldn't complain about the cold unless it started staying below 20-25F for more than 2 days.

tj- we manage by lots of layering, some have hi-tech outer wear. And as i've become a knitter/crocheter off & on--- wool is quite an amazing yarn esp the merino wool Sheep - soft! Not that scratchy stuff.

martha .... :lol: does not understand the words "too warm"
Maybe you'd understand "too humid? :)

I did visit some friends of my dad... living Alburquerque, New Mex.
I was fascinated by the fact they had no A/C but a special ceiling fan to pull/circulate air all through the house.

That really sucks about DJ Rashad. He was very talented and put on a great show. Was looking forward to seeing him again :-(

yeah I've had teklife and double cup on repeat all last night and this morning. we lost a legend.

fuck hard drugs.

I finally stepped inside a Costco a couple weeks ago. It seems like a store for people who are preparing for the apocalypse.

Never been to Costco, but I love Sam's Club. Especially when I'm buying pet food.

"Most of the Time" will eternally be associated with High Fidelity to me and for that realize I'll always overrate it.

Shit, cat

62F2D9F2-7D52-4AFE-90BB-DC85B0A6540A_zpszahbrayg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom